Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Xenon headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:38 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Xenon headlights?

A little patience here, please--I'm new at this. I ordered Xenons with my new MINI, and now I'm having second thoughts. I'm worried about maintenance, especially now that these cars have bi-xenons.

If I get a rock hit on my headlight, how much is it to replace the light? I had a problem with the igniter in a BMW headlight, and it was $400 (installed). Is this what I'd pay for a rock? I live out in the country and would like the light the Xenons offer, but I also do freeway driving where there are lots of semis throwing up junk.

It isn't too late to change the specs on my MINI--am I making a mistake by going with the Xenons?

Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having driven MINI's both with and without Xenons, (and my car has them), I firmly believe that the benefits of having the Xenons far outweigh the possible negatives.

My vote is keep the xenons.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:56 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
... and get the thick clear headlight protectors - I got them with my clearbra install - not bulletproof, but certainly rock resistant...

Old 12-19-2006, 08:58 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
am I making a mistake by going with the Xenons?
No.....

Nik

Old 12-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, too, would vote to keep the Xenons. I've seen way too many people decide against the Xenons when they order their Mini only later to come back and want to retrofit them. Not only does it cost an outrageous amount to retrofit Xenons ($1000++), but it is a major hassle. I have Xenons and cannot imagine going back to halogens. I've driven 200,000+ miles in my day in all sorts of cars and conditions (much on Montana roads), and I have never had anything take out a headlight...windshields yes, but not headlights.

There are also headlight protectors you can buy to alleviate potential damage.

In summary, stick with the Xenons!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you need a fifth opinion to further assure you...

GET THEM. Best option money you could spend, IMO. After all, what's more important than safety ? The xenons really do help you see better at night.

And as stated, the clearbra protection for the headlights is a good way to protect them. It came as part of my clearbra package. Can't tell it's on there unless you're a few inches from the headlights.

+

Old 12-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Sissy
4th Gear
Daffodildeb,
I sometimes travel via the country roads in Tarrant/Johnson Counties. The Xenons are a major improvement. Don't change your mind. You'll be amazed at how much better you can see on dark country roads with the Xenons.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:14 AM
bzn by
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Having driven MINI's both with and without Xenons, (and my car has them), I firmly believe that the benefits of having the Xenons far outweigh the possible negatives.

My vote is keep the xenons.
+1

Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 AM
newbs49
Banned
Get them. They make a great difference on back roads. The one must is the clear 3M h/light film or whatever companies you choose.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok--will stick with the Xenons and get the clear protectors. But worst case scenario, if a rock does hit, what has to be replaced and how much?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:47 AM
lava
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The xenon bulb is inside the housing. The only thing exposed to rocks is the clear lense cover. Your risk is no different than the standard lights, unless you get a brick or a bullet that goes right through your lense and busts up the inner works. How often has that happened?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:52 AM
R56MCS
Banned
The xenon light is also relatively small and high in the housing so this should also help.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:53 AM
jreaney
2nd Gear
about 600 bucks

I had to have one replaced due to an accident - The entire housing with washer fluid sprayers was around 600

Old 12-19-2006, 09:53 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I have Xenons and I'm not impressed. Would be a different story, I'm sure, if they were Bi-Xenons but they're not. If you're concerned about seeing "out in the country" as you say isn't that the time when you would most likely have your high-beams on? If so, wouldn't your money be better spent on auxilliary driving lights rather than on Xenons? Think about it.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
The new MINI halogens are 25% brighter according to the press releases. On MINI2 there are some comments that the halogens are brighter than before.

I have never driven a xenon car so I can only say that I have trouble seeing at night while driving and I can see fine in my newest 2 cars with halogens. The newer halogen lights seem much brighter than those of the 90's and before. I imagine it has to do with the extreme size headlight reflectors many have now. I could imagine better lights but not $500 better.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Murmini
3rd Gear
I have the Xenons on both the MINi and a 3 series and would NEVER go back. The front lens is polycarbonate and very resistant to rock dammage, then there is a large glass lens between that and the actual Xenon bulb. I have driven MINIs with hallogen and simply missed the clarity of the Xenon.
http://www.murmini.com/articles/2006...enon-headlamps

Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Gotta admit that the spot / driving lamps on the %6 are very good indeed, instant day light and they look good too.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:13 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by inomis
The new MINI halogens are 25% brighter according to the press releases. On MINI2 there are some comments that the halogens are brighter than before.

I have never driven a xenon car so I can only say that I have trouble seeing at night while driving and I can see fine in my newest 2 cars with halogens. The newer halogen lights seem much brighter than those of the 90's and before. I imagine it has to do with the extreme size headlight reflectors many have now. I could imagine better lights but not $500 better.
The bad thing about halogens are they dim with age, so even if they start out brighter, as time goes on, they dim.

My first set of Xenons was on my MINI, and I will never go back to halogens unless I don't have a choice. I think there have been excellent examples listed above as to why you shouldn't have to worry, and how you can protect your lights. Unless you regularly get your headlights smashed in completely, I wouldn't second guess ordering the xenons.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:19 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by J A Blazer
I have Xenons and I'm not impressed. Would be a different story, I'm sure, if they were Bi-Xenons but they're not. If you're concerned about seeing "out in the country" as you say isn't that the time when you would most likely have your high-beams on? If so, wouldn't your money be better spent on auxilliary driving lights rather than on Xenons? Think about it.
Or better yet, Xenons Driving lights

Old 12-19-2006, 05:38 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Me too

Originally Posted by J A Blazer
I bucked this online trend and SKIPED XENONS. First, I don't drive at night much. Xenons or not, you'll find me checked into a nice motel sucking downa cold ale when the sun goes down. Second, I don't like cars with them coming at me and don't want to be one of them. Third, they are expensive to replace, and fourth there was a thread where it was revealed that they add over twenty five pounds right at each high front corner. (And I still question this...IS THAT RIGHT? I know there's a ballast unit and all, but how many pounds?? ) See you at the track. To each his own, I say. It's your money, so go have fun your way.
Tom
P.S. Yeah, I went all out on
this go round. Merry Christmas, everybody!!

Old 12-19-2006, 05:52 PM
BartMack
6th Gear
For me, after I'd experienced the coolness of xenons for the first time, I won't ever willingly go back to candle power :p

As far as how inexorbitantly and unrelentingly heavy xenons are, I'd urge you not to rely on the Onion for your more serious news articles..

>yeah, I can barely lift my bonnet with those porkers lol<

Old 12-19-2006, 05:52 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Agreed...it's your money. I skipped Xenons and will skip them on my next MINI, too. I will say, though, that my normal routes are fairly well lit. Just not a need.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Sissy
4th Gear
Duh, you might not need headlights if you don't drive at night.

Seriously, I'm old as dirt and find the Xenons really help my night vision. I'm not sure whether they are brighter than Halogens or not. The light just seems "whiter". My son recently traded cars. The new one doesn't have Xenons, and he tells me that he really misses them. I think you shouldn't worry. We can drive ourselves crazy wondering "what if" or "shoulda coulda woulda". It's really no big deal. My favorite quote is, "I never regret what I did in this lifetime; I only regret what I didn't do." Go for it. You'll be able to form your own opinion. Then you can give em hell. Ooops,,,, too much Cote d'Rhone tonight. Stay with your first feeling. You'll love your Mini regardless of which set of headlights you have.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05DSMCS
The bad thing about halogens are they dim with age, so even if they start out brighter, as time goes on, they dim.
Fortunatly $20 fixes dim halogens.

So how much would you guys spend on xenons? I think if they were say $200-300 I would strongly consider them or if I was buying a $30,000+ car $500 would seem more reasonable to me. I see the MCS as a value performance car and too many options start killing that idea. If you are getting most all the packages, leather etc. then xenons seem like a no brainer.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing better that xenons are bixenons. I love the ones on my 06 & will never buy a car without them again if they are offered. With the high beam now being xenon IMO there may be no need for driving lights. I bought a set of clear plastic covers from Moss for my xenons. No rock problems yet.

Too me the cost doesn't seem too bad. Especially when folks spend hundreds of dollars for anthracite headliners & chrome bits. With xenons you gain a margin of safety for your money.

Quick Reply: Xenon headlights?