Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Has anyone had a problem like this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Krookid I
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone had a problem like this?

When shifting, my mini seems to be getting rougher every time I drive it, like it doesn't want to go into gear...and sometimes has trouble going into reverse. I was told it is probably a worn clutch. I have 71K miles on it. If it is the clutch, I will probably end up replacing it myself although I've heard it's not such a fun job. This problem started soon after I had been driving in stop and go traffic to work every morning so I just assumed it was the clutch. Is there any advice anyone might have before I go pay $125 for diagnostics?

Old 12-27-2006, 06:49 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Exactly what kind of 'rough' are you talking about? Is it hard to put it into gear or is there a little grinding noise when shifting? If that's the case, it sounds more like the transmission fluid needs changing than the clutch. MINI decided to say the fluid should last the life of the transmission but many of us have changed it and have noticed a difference in shifting smoothness. I used Redline MTL myself and am very happy.

I really don't see how the clutch would affect shifting unless the cylinder is leaking and the clutch isn't completely disengaging when you shift. When your stopped with the clutch in and in first gear, does your MINI try to move?

Old 12-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Krookid I
2nd Gear
No, the only problem I am having is rough going into gear, no grinding, and sometimes it won't go into reverse for a few minutes.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 AM
zztheminipro
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when my cooper s had about 70k or so one of the shift cables streched out and i could no get in to reverse

Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 AM
jymontoya
5th Gear
I'd try a cheap solution first, transmission flush.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:38 AM
Krookid I
2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice. Have you ever done this yourself? I will do it if it can be done.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Revolver
2nd Gear
I had a similar problem when my 2004 MCS was still quite new. Dealer replaced the shifter cables, and I have not had any problems since. Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:34 PM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolver
I had a similar problem when my 2004 MCS was still quite new. Dealer replaced the shifter cables, and I have not had any problems since. Hope this helps.
I'm trying to imagine why they used cables. Seems like something from World War I era bi-plane technology. What is used in most manual transmissions? Some sort of lever system I presume??

Old 12-30-2006, 10:57 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shifter cables

Originally Posted by princeofwaldo
I'm trying to imagine why they used cables. Seems like something from World War I era bi-plane technology. What is used in most manual transmissions? Some sort of lever system I presume??
Most if not all front wheel drive cars are using flexible cables because of engine and transmission movement.
Here is an exploded view of the MCS shifter and cables.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=25&fg=05

Old 12-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Krookid I
2nd Gear
Nice diagram norm. I have a cooper not S, do they have the same gear boxes? Because that's a pretty useful diagram. Now that I think of it, the first time I had my mini checked (over a year ago) the mechanic said there was a fluid leaking from the transmission, but I have checked the fluid level and it seems fine. I guess I'll find out exactly what's wrong when I finally decide to take it to the dealer. my warranty is up so it's coming straight out of my wallet.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:08 PM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
Most if not all front wheel drive cars are using flexible cables because of engine and transmission movement.
Here is an exploded view of the MCS shifter and cables.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=25&fg=05
In other words, anything less flexible would get bent or jam? Somehow, that seems like kind of a lame reason for doing it that way, though I don't doubt you are correct in saying that's why it is done with cables.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 AM
2fast2
2nd Gear
My opinion: it isn't the clutch. Grinding would indicate synchronizers failing, but your symptoms suggest what the other posters have said, shift linkage adjustment. Don't think cables are old fashioned, they are used in plenty of cars. If they have "stretched" I would think a simple adjustment would solve your problem, but perhaps they don't adjust and you need new cables.
It wouldn't hurt to drain and refill your gearcase but make sure you use the specified fluid, and a good brand at that. I like Redline stuff. But I don't think doing this will solve your problem.
When you get this fixed, please post your findings so we can all benefit from your experience.
Good luck.
Jim

Old 01-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
The OP has a Cooper, not an S. If it's an 04 or older, there's a good chance he is experiencing the early stages of a Midlands gearbox failure. Maybe somebody with some experience on this subject will chime in and give him some useful info.

I think he should start searching for an 05 or newer gearbox in a salvageyard. The Getrag is a much more robust unit.

Rawhyde

Old 01-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Krookid I
2nd Gear
I'll certainly post a follow up after I figure out what is going on.

I have an '02 cooper. Is it common in minis for the gearbox to fail? what the hell is the problem with mini transmissions?....and judging by the cost of everything else that I've fixed/replaced it sounds like it's a pretty expensive thing to buy. Man I wish I woulda bought a new mini with a WARRANTY!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:35 PM
azminied
2nd Gear
I also have an 02. I had the tranny replaced under Factory warranty over the summer. The symptoms I was experiencing was grinding when shifting into 3rd gear. For parts cost($250) they also replaced the clutch for me.

My problem now is hard shifting. The new tranny seems really difficult to get into 1st gear (no grinding, but almost forcing the gear). After reading this thread, I am wondering if this is a linkage problem. I am also out of warranty now (ended in Sept) and wondering if they will stand by it?

-Ed

Originally Posted by Krookid I
I'll certainly post a follow up after I figure out what is going on.

I have an '02 cooper. Is it common in minis for the gearbox to fail? what the hell is the problem with mini transmissions?....and judging by the cost of everything else that I've fixed/replaced it sounds like it's a pretty expensive thing to buy. Man I wish I woulda bought a new mini with a WARRANTY!

Old 01-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Krookid I
2nd Gear
You just inspired me to go get this checked out immediately, there is no way I'm paying for a new tranny, clutch and/or labor without a warranty. What kind of grinding did you have? Like a quick "crt" sound (the way I could describe the sound that I hear once in a while if I shift to quickly) or is it more of a long grinding sound like "errrrrrrrr" gears grinding? ha.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:46 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
check the linakge, sometimes the cables stretch, bushings brake or mechanism get rusted and prevents the cable from moving/aligning properlly.

if it was the clutch it would be all the time going into gears, no matter wqhich one... did the problem start happening recently?

Old 01-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Krookid I
2nd Gear
yes, fairly recently. I realized it after driving in stop and go traffic for a few months so I just assumed it was the clutch. It is rough all the time going into any gear, just reverse is the one that it won't even go into sometimes.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:45 PM
azminied
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Krookid I
You just inspired me to go get this checked out immediately, there is no way I'm paying for a new tranny, clutch and/or labor without a warranty. What kind of grinding did you have? Like a quick "crt" sound (the way I could describe the sound that I hear once in a while if I shift to quickly) or is it more of a long grinding sound like "errrrrrrrr" gears grinding? ha.

It was a quick "crt". I did not think it was me.... thought I would ask them as I was there for other service... badabing "remove and replace". But now, like i said, seems to have other issues.
-Ed

Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 PM
pinkmini
2nd Gear
sorry to hijack....

Hi i have a problem also with my clutch being hard to shift into gear. especially cold getting in first. I took to the dealer and they say I need a new clutch. But it only has 44K and I dont put unnecessary stress on the clutch (riding ect...) but I do live near Sf, theres lots of stop and go. Ive had my car a year now and i dont remember it being so hard to shift. The pedal also seems hard to push in but it could be my imagination. Anyway after reading this thread I wonder if the dealer is just trying to rob me of 2700 which I wouldnt give them anyway. Would they have done the flush when I took it in? I dont remember them telling me, but I do know they should check fluids and they never mention filling it or if it was low ect...I suppose I will do that asap and see what happens it cant hurt and I have been driving already about 3 or 4 months like this.

Thanks!