Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Elctrical coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 PM
dmoscoso
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elctrical coincidence?

After hydroplaning a few weeks ago and having the car spend about 3 hours with it's nose barried in about 6 inches of water, my sun roof and the leveling feature of my Xenon's both stopped working. After spending considerable time drying out the car (I had a small puddle in the passenger footwell immediately after the car was winched out by AAA), the sunroof will not respond when I hit the swtch and the headlights won't level and point downwards when lit.
If I disconnect the battery for a few minutes and re-connect it, both items work for a few minutes or until I run the car and then turn off the key then on again - then both items stop working. I can repeat this behavior over and over again - disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes, connect it back up, start the car and I can see the headlights level upon turning them on (reflecting agaisnt the garage door) and the sun roof opens and closes - then shut the key off and turn the car over again and neither items works again.
I checked a couple of ground wires in the engine bay, cleaned them and tightened them down and also removed the front facia plastic and cleaned all of those wiring connectors with electrical spray.
I have to believe there is a common solution for both problems.

Can anyone help?

Hopefull,

David

Old 01-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Murmini
3rd Gear
The connectors that go into the bottom of the General Module are below the level of the door in the passenger footwell (USA). I would remove the kick panel to the right of the passenger footwell and see how wet the connectors are that attatch to the GM.
http://www.murmini.com/articles/2006...general-module

Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 AM
dmoscoso
Neutral
So i took your advice....

Thanks for the response...it sure sounds like the GM is the culprit. I removed the bottom trim panel and disconnected 3 out of the 4 connector plugs on the module. The one I could not remove is one on the bottom. It has a diferent mechanism than the others. I tried sliding it back and simultaneously pushing some side tabs but it would not come off. Any Idea how this bottom plug comes off - do I just pull harder and keep sliding the thing?
I was able to spray all of the other connectors with drying electrical spray and it did feel moist under there. After I reconnected the battery, again all worked for a few minutes - then back to where I started - no sun-roof or head light leveling.

Thanks in adavnace,

David

Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Murmini
3rd Gear
I would suggest that you disconnect the battery -ve lead, then undo the nuts and remove the module, this will make it much easier to get the connectors off. Slide out and lif the locking mechanism, then you can spray your electrical cleaning fluid in the plugs and the connectors.
Good Luck!

Old 01-03-2007, 05:23 PM
dmoscoso
Neutral
Ok, I admit, I've been beaten by a connector...

Here are two pics of the think, image 3121 shows the front of the car to the left of this pic and the other pic the front of the car is to the left. How in tar nation does this thing come off? I tried sliding the outer sleeve towards the rear of the car but the pins sliding in the groove go only about half way before stopping! I don't want to force it too much in far of breaking the darn connector. I also tried squeezing the tabs in the middle and sliding at the same time - no luck.
Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Elctrical coincidence?-img_3122.jpg  
Old 01-03-2007, 05:28 PM
dmoscoso
Neutral
Please use the only image I uploaded (3122)

front of towards the left...

Last edited by dmoscoso; 01-03-2007 at 05:31 PM. Reason: I can't get pic 3121 attached...
Old 01-04-2007, 05:10 AM
Alerious
3rd Gear
Here are the steps I have to remove the module:

1.) First remove driver's side sill/footwell kick panel.
2.) Disconnect the battery negative lead.
3.) Undo the securing nuts, and remove the module.
4.) Slide out the locking elements/lift the locking latches, and disconnect the wiring multi-plugs as the unit is withdrawn.

GotMINI

Old 01-04-2007, 05:58 AM
dmoscoso
Neutral
It's the one green one that's the problem...

the other 3 connectors with the push tab and flipping lever come out with ease. I did unbolt the module after disconnecting the negative lead on the battery in order to get a good grip on the green connector, but the sucker will not slide all the way out - the sleeve only slides about 5 milimeters or so and hits some kind of stop. I tried sliding and pulling thinking that the sliding sleeve was hitting the lip of he module but that doesn't seem to be the issue.