Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 PM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ethanol

I've set up a service appointment due to an ongoing problem with occasional, single misfires in cylinder #4. When I called the service advisor mentioned the "E" word....ethanol. So, I've been worried about ethanol levels in the gasoline that is available in my area. So I sent an e-mail to the state office that monitors and regulates ethanol use in New York State. The following is my e-mail and the response that was received. I thought many fellow MINI owners may find this interesting and/or informative.

Jason,

The reason that you only see the 10% ethanol labels on certain pumps is that only Sunoco is selling gas in your area with ethanol. None of the other dealers or brands is using ethanol at this time. Thus they will not have a label on their pumps.

We operate a quality testing program in cooperation with the municipal Weights and Measures Department in the county in which you live. Monroe County officials, and other counties, regularly take samples from gas stations around the state and we verify that the fuel meets specifications. We are looking at ethanol and will take appropriate action should we find a station with excess amounts above the 10% labeled.

The number of instances where excess ethanol was found is very rare. Ethanol is more expensive that gasoline so the distributors take great pains to avoid putting in too much.

As to the test method used by the repair shop, I can only say it is at best a screening tool. We use a scientifically defensible test with good precision in our work. Should you get word from your repair man that the fuel exceeded 10% by his test, call us and we can get a sample from the station and run more definitive tests to verify the truth.

As a side issue, many people do not understand that you should not use dry gas if you buy fuel with ethanol. The dry gas is not needed since the ethanol does the same thing. If you do use dry gas, it adds to the alcohol content and will show on the screening test used by the repair shop.

Ross J Andersen, Director
New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets
Bureau of Weights and Measures
10B Airline Drive
Albany, NY 12235
(518) 457-3146 or FAX (518) 457-5693

Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 11:07 PM
To: Ross Andersen
Subject: Ethanol?

I live in Rochester, NY. I was under the impression that gasoline distributors in New York State must mark the gas pumps indicating the percentage of ethanol in the fuel. For example, I always see a "10% Ethanol" label on the gas pumps at my local Sunoco stations. However, I have seen very few other pumps marked in this way. Can you please tell me what the legal requirement is for such labels in New York State and what penalty and/or fines the state imposes on distributors for not properly marking pumps? Also, what recourse does a vehicle owner have against a distributor if it sells fuel with greater than 10% ethanol and the fuel damages the vehicle?

I ask these questions because I own a MINI Cooper S and BMW (who owns MINI) has developed an "alcohol detection test tool" that their technicians use to test the ethanol percentage of fuel in a vehicle's gas tank. Furthermore, in several technical service bulletins BMW states the following:

"Components damage/malfunction, or drivability problems caused by use of fuels containing more then 10% ethanol (or other oxygenates with more then 2.8% oxygen by weight) will not be covered under BMW warranties with respect to defects in materials or workmanship."

How has this impacted owners of BMW or MINI vehicles? Many owners, myself included, have experienced rough engine idling and stalling immediately after start up, and random engine misfires that cause the "Service Engine Soon" light to come on for a period of time. When owners call the dealership regarding such "drivability" problems, they are told to set up a service appointment. At this point, the dealership does not forewarn customers of BMW's warranty policy regarding ethanol fuel. Upon picking up their vehicle after being serviced, some owners have been informed that their fuel contained in excess of 10% ethanol and, as such, were presented with a large bill that was not covered under warranty. When questioned, the dealerships state that the owner's only recourse is to "go after" the gas distributor for not properly marking the pump.

I would appreciate any guidance that you can provide regarding this very frustrating matter.

Jason Nicholson

Old 01-09-2007, 10:48 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have tested many vehicles in the shop for ethanol % after different rough runing issues. i have discovered 4 cars with ethanol % higher than 15% which makes the car very rough and can damage the engine/cat. converters and such other parts.

other techs in the shop have found high levels of ethanol on customers cars and are aware of the problem. customers are told right then about the situation and adviced to have us drain the gastank and fill with/at a different gas station than ussually used.

one bmw tech found ethanol values of 80% on an X3 which damaged one of the cylinder heads because of the misfire. the customer then had to go against the gas station owner for repairs.

good luck with your situation, hopefully the gas stations are following the rules to better your cars performance!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:31 PM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Originally Posted by joey1320
good luck with your situation, hopefully the gas stations are following the rules to better your cars performance!
Thankfully my situation hasn't become a big problem...so far. From my conversation with the service advisor this morning, a bigger problem is that top tier gasoline is not available. He said that he's seen quite a few BMWs and MINIs with this problem....but that's a whole other topic.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember that distribution centers simply stick some gas in the tanker and then some ethanol. There is no mixing, only splash blending. Same in the underground tank, the two stratify and you can get a shot of pure ethanol when the total contents of the tank are at the right percentage.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:24 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Uncle_John
Remember that distribution centers simply stick some gas in the tanker and then some ethanol. There is no mixing, only splash blending. Same in the underground tank, the two stratify and you can get a shot of pure ethanol when the total contents of the tank are at the right percentage.
So I suppose going to a gas station that is farther away from their distribution center is wise since it will have more time to splash around?

Isn't the splash method a bit risky when it comes to getting tested by the gov?

Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Originally Posted by shankrabbit
So I suppose going to a gas station that is farther away from their distribution center is wise since it will have more time to splash around?

Isn't the splash method a bit risky when it comes to getting tested by the gov?
It should get pretty mixed up when it's put in the underground tank.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:43 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
It is my understanding that ethanol is heavier than gas and given enough time, will not only precipitate to the bottom of the service stations tank, but also the tank in your car. This was proposed as one of the the main causes of the "only starts the second time" discussions (cold start topics). Given that ethanol costs more to produce than Gasoline and has caused nothing but headaches since the moment it was introduced, I can't for the life of me figure out where this country is headed with this. I live in a seaport town in Northern Mass. and I can't tell you the havoc that this stuff is having with boaters in my area. I know of 4 people who had to have their gas tanks replaced on their boats because of Ethanol That being said , in the corn belt I have read about automobiles being run routinely on 80% ethanol without issue WTF???????? What are they doing to their cars that we haven't? Seems like some answers should be forthcoming from the people responsible for this.
Jock