Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

New Transmission Already?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:05 AM
JUDSMNI
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Transmission Already?

I have a 2002 Mini Cooper with 106,000 miles on it (I'm a big traveler), and I have been hearing a "growling" noise whenever I accelerate. The noise virtually disappears when I put in the clutch. The dealership says it needs a new transmission and clutch, but they will not be covering any of it. My warranty is long gone, and generally, the car has been very good. The dealership has quoted me just over $4700 to make the repairs. I feel that I should have gotten another 100,000 miles out of the car before these things failed. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is the dealership's quote a reasonable price? I'd like to continue driving the car for several more years, but I don't want to have to keep paying these huge repair costs down the line. Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated!
-Leslie

Old 01-12-2007, 08:23 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Whose to say how long something like that can or will last. Some may dive theirs 300,000 miles without a problem others have had major problems at 10/15,000 miles.

I will say that most people know that the dealers do seem to charge more than an independent mechanic may. Because you are not covered by any warranty there is nothing that states you must have the dealer do the repair. Look around your area for someone who can do transmission work and get a few quotes. MINI dealers are not the only people in town who can fix a MINI and the MINI itself is just a car, nothing magical that only a dealer can repair.

I have one of the best independent BMW/MINI mechanics in the US, with his shop only two miles from my house. I truly doubt I would make the 600 mile trip to my nearest dealer for any repair unless they were picking up the entire bill for parts and labor.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:07 AM
GBMiniGirl
Coordinator :: Houston MINI Motoring Society
On a Midland tranny, you've done FANTASTICALLY well! Mine died at 70K and until this thread, I haven't heard of a Midland lasting much longer than that. Yeah, it sucks they don't hold up like we all think they should. Mine got replaced for about the same amount as you were quoted. It came with a 2 yr/unlimited mileage warranty.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curious, have you ever at any time changed the tran lube while you have owned the car?

YD

Old 01-12-2007, 09:49 AM
JUDSMNI
Neutral
I haven't personally changed the transmission lubricant while I owned it, but I have had the fluids checked periodically by the dealership. I doubt, however, that the lube was ever flushed and/or changed.
Thanks for all the advice...it sounds like now I just have to decide if it is worth it for me to put the money into the car or just go for a new one!
Anyone know of a good mechanic in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area to work on my Mini? I'm new to the mechanic scene here, and I haven't been too impressed with the dealership in the past.
Thanks!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:05 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
I didn't think the transmission fluid was ever supposed to be changed. I know it can be, but I have always read that there is no recommendation to change it.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 AM
GBMiniGirl
You are correct. It is supposed to be a "lifetime" transmission fluid.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:20 PM
goin440
6th Gear
Thats the same quote I got, but only ended up paying labor....

Ask about the warranty on BMW replaced parts... (2yr, unlimited mileage)
Back service rep into a corner comparing your mileage to warranty...

Example: Mine puked at 75k, slightly under 2yrs of ownership. "You mean the replacement part (often refribished BTW) has a better warranty than the part it replaces....? Thats rediculous." I called MINIUSA and asked about the same warranty. When confirmed, pulled the same line above. "For me, 2yrs is 75k miles..."

Complain, complain, complain. Be a PITA. Call service managers right before their lunch hour. Get names higher in rank and do the same.

Eventually, they'll cave. Its in their best interest to portray excellent customer service. We all know 02-03 Cooper manuals have this problem. The dealership does too, they've worked on them, but won't admit it. MINIUSA knows it too, but again, will give you the run around.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:30 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goin440
We all know 02-03 Cooper manuals have this problem..
What about the 02-03 Cooper S with getrag transmission? Are they a problem?

Old 01-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
First off, it sounds like your car is working just find (except for the "growling"). It could break tomorrow, or go on for another 20K miles. Did they tell you that total failure was iminent? Their job is to make money by doing service.

I'd certainly get a second opinion from another shop, might be something simple, or you could get a much different price quote. Maybe it's the throwout bearing etc.

Question: Are you on the original clutch?

Do you plan on keeping the car for a long time? How much is it worth to keep it running? $500, $1000, $3000?

Originally Posted by JUDSMNI
I have a 2002 Mini Cooper with 106,000 miles on it (I'm a big traveler), and I have been hearing a "growling" noise whenever I accelerate. The noise virtually disappears when I put in the clutch. The dealership says it needs a new transmission and clutch, but they will not be covering any of it. My warranty is long gone, and generally, the car has been very good. The dealership has quoted me just over $4700 to make the repairs. I feel that I should have gotten another 100,000 miles out of the car before these things failed. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is the dealership's quote a reasonable price? I'd like to continue driving the car for several more years, but I don't want to have to keep paying these huge repair costs down the line. Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated!
-Leslie

Old 01-12-2007, 02:56 PM
goin440
6th Gear
Originally Posted by k_h_d
What about the 02-03 Cooper S with getrag transmission? Are they a problem?
Getrags are holding up MUCH MUCH better than the midland 5spd.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:48 PM
GBMiniGirl
Thats the same quote I got, but only ended up paying labor....

Ask about the warranty on BMW replaced parts... (2yr, unlimited mileage)
Back service rep into a corner comparing your mileage to warranty...

Example: Mine puked at 75k, slightly under 2yrs of ownership. "You mean the replacement part (often refribished BTW) has a better warranty than the part it replaces....? Thats rediculous." I called MINIUSA and asked about the same warranty. When confirmed, pulled the same line above. "For me, 2yrs is 75k miles..."

Complain, complain, complain. Be a PITA. Call service managers right before their lunch hour. Get names higher in rank and do the same.

Eventually, they'll cave. Its in their best interest to portray excellent customer service. We all know 02-03 Cooper manuals have this problem. The dealership does too, they've worked on them, but won't admit it. MINIUSA knows it too, but again, will give you the run around.
Your story and mine sound identical. Eventually, I too only paid labor.

For some. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms. I won't bore you with it.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Please take my comments appropriately, but just because MINI says something, don't take it like it was carved in stone and brought down by Moses. They say, don't rotate the tires, don't change the motor oil for outragesous intervals, don't change the tranny lube, etc.

Do what you want, and I'm very certainly not bringing the oil change interval thing up again, but educate yourself on the EPA Life Cycle Pollution Regulations if you want to know why all manufacturers are extending all the fluid interval stuff.

If you want long term mileage out of your car, it needs maintenance which includes engine oil and filter changes at something sooner than the MINI yipyap. I just changed the tranny lube in my 06 that had 3k miles on it for $20. It was basically effortless. I'll be changing it again every 25K miles as long as I own it. I changed the engine oil at 1K miles to get that crud out of there... the oil was really dark and full of metal shavings and turnings and grit.... I caught it and filter it. I cut open the filter to see what was in there... more metal turnings, like the metal you get when you tap a hole. I want all that stuff out of there, and remember your oil filter is only on one branch of the oil pump output.... not all of the oil your oil pump pumps out gets filtered each time the oil goes around. Most of it goes directly to the bearings, etc.

The oil changes cost me less than $30 each time.... some say a waste of money, but it is my money and when I paid over $25K for the car, the cost for some insurance lubrication is insignificant.

I'm not saying that if you had changed the lube in your Midland it would be running today. But I'm not going to worry about my tranny because I didn't do the lube.

Sorry for the rant, but I get so tired of everyone blindly walking down the MINI gospel trail like sheep to the slaughter. I'm sure some of you will rip me a new one for what I just said...so start typing. I can take it.

YD

Old 01-13-2007, 01:05 PM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
Please bare with me since I have no idea about this subject nor had I ever heard of gertrags or anything else in regards to transmisions and their differences.

I have an 02 MCS which is a 6 speed. I don't know what's the difference and what kind of a tranny I have. Can someone tell me what I might have? And if it is a better tranny or not?

Than you.

p.s. wanted to wish the thread starter a good luck with their tranny. I sure hope these cars have a longer tranny life time than 100k or so.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:55 PM
goin440
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blissfull
Please bare with me since I have no idea about this subject nor had I ever heard of gertrags or anything else in regards to transmisions and their differences.

I have an 02 MCS which is a 6 speed. I don't know what's the difference and what kind of a tranny I have. Can someone tell me what I might have? And if it is a better tranny or not?

Than you.

p.s. wanted to wish the thread starter a good luck with their tranny. I sure hope these cars have a longer tranny life time than 100k or so.
You have the better of the two (getrag).

Old 01-13-2007, 02:05 PM
ronstoys1
1st Gear
Welcome to the Midland trany saga - Mine went at 72,000 and the part that failed was a $42.00 roller bearing on the main shaft. Ron

Old 01-13-2007, 02:10 PM
javelina1
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
Please take my comments appropriately, but just because MINI says something, don't take it like it was carved in stone and brought down by Moses. They say, don't rotate the tires, don't change the motor oil for outragesous intervals, don't change the tranny lube, etc.

Do what you want, and I'm very certainly not bringing the oil change interval thing up again, but educate yourself on the EPA Life Cycle Pollution Regulations if you want to know why all manufacturers are extending all the fluid interval stuff.

If you want long term mileage out of your car, it needs maintenance which includes engine oil and filter changes at something sooner than the MINI yipyap. I just changed the tranny lube in my 06 that had 3k miles on it for $20. It was basically effortless. I'll be changing it again every 25K miles as long as I own it. I changed the engine oil at 1K miles to get that crud out of there... the oil was really dark and full of metal shavings and turnings and grit.... I caught it and filter it. I cut open the filter to see what was in there... more metal turnings, like the metal you get when you tap a hole. I want all that stuff out of there, and remember your oil filter is only on one branch of the oil pump output.... not all of the oil your oil pump pumps out gets filtered each time the oil goes around. Most of it goes directly to the bearings, etc.

The oil changes cost me less than $30 each time.... some say a waste of money, but it is my money and when I paid over $25K for the car, the cost for some insurance lubrication is insignificant.

I'm not saying that if you had changed the lube in your Midland it would be running today. But I'm not going to worry about my tranny because I didn't do the lube.

Sorry for the rant, but I get so tired of everyone blindly walking down the MINI gospel trail like sheep to the slaughter. I'm sure some of you will rip me a new one for what I just said...so start typing. I can take it.

YD
ditto! my exact sentiments! spot on.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:58 PM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
You have the better of the two (getrag).
Thanks for the info.

So my next question then is, what is the difference between the 2??

Old 01-13-2007, 03:06 PM
goin440
6th Gear
The midland is a 5spd found on cars in europe and the early non-s Cooper. The getrag is a common german piece found in many sports cars. A 5spd version is on the newer Coopers and a 6spd (like yours) is availible on the Cooper S.

I don't know outside of the MINI how reliable the Midland is. The getrag is consider quite reliable.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Krookid I
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
almost 72K

My manual '02 MC has about 72K miles on it and I've recently been experiencing problems with the clutch/transmission. Many people have told me different theories on what it could possibly be but I don't think I want to find out....

Good luck with the tranny!