Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Steering wheel click?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:10 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering wheel click?

My 2006 MC has a very light click sound coming from the steering wheel when it's turned and sometimes when it's straight, especially at low speeds.

Just started over the weekend. It's a very light sound, but it's there (almost has a "tink" quality). Have any of you noticed this in your car?

Old 01-22-2007, 06:21 PM
c615586
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a very similar sounding problem for almost a year with my 2004 MCS. My dealership ended up replacing the steering rack which resolved the issue.

Try this thread for starters : https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ing+rack+click

Cheers,

vin.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:39 PM
camelpilot
Banned
try lowering your steering column (and wheel), then raising it back up. (steering wheel straight)

If it doesnt fix it, try it again, setting your steering column at a slightly different elevation than before.

I have got this problem twice, and that is how i "fix" it.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:56 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my '04 MC had a minial click just like you described...they replaced the rack under warranty

Old 01-22-2007, 07:01 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by camelpilot
try lowering your steering column (and wheel), then raising it back up. (steering wheel straight)

If it doesnt fix it, try it again, setting your steering column at a slightly different elevation than before.

I have got this problem twice, and that is how i "fix" it.
Yeah, I was thinking about trying that. Thanks...

Old 01-22-2007, 07:21 PM
YakiMini
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same problem and NWMini said they could fix it for about $830.. Ha! Fat chance!
I will try to adjust the colum and see if that will fix it.
Motor On!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:35 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Two Issues: Be sure which one you have.

There are two issues happening here: One is a rack noise (I know what that sounds like) and the other is what I (and a few others) have. It is coming from the wheel itself (or just beneath it), not the rack. Rack noise is more of a knock or click and usually occurs as multiple sounds as the wheel turns. Plus, you can feel a sloppy rack & pinion through the steering wheel.

My issue seems to be related to the adjustment lock. There's no way that those two issues (the rack & pinion and the steering wheel) are related.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Stop using turn signals. Just flash them twice for everything (not fully engaging the signal). If the inner workings aren't used, then they can't wear out right?

Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 PM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
Mine does the same; very slight click click click from the left side of the actual steering wheel itself, almost as if coming from the back on the actual wheel?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:49 AM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PuppetMaster2u
Mine does the same; very slight click click click from the left side of the actual steering wheel itself, almost as if coming from the back on the actual wheel?
Yup, the left side of the wheel: My theory is that it's something from the turn signal cancel mechanism that flops around when it feels like it.

Not sure why adjusting the wheel temporarily fixes it.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your upper strut mounts for cracks and or damage. This can also cause the clicking in the steering column. Not always, but sometimes.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:46 PM
YakiMini
5th Gear
I posted above, but when the "Dealership" noticed it they said it was a bearing in the steering wheel column and they cannot replace the bearing, but they would replace the whole steering wheel column for $830 Grrrrrr.. Of course this was all after we ran out of warranty. I've the the slicking for well 20,000 miles and my MC works just fine!

Do let me know if there is a simple solution!
Motor On!

Old 01-23-2007, 08:10 PM
70spop
6th Gear
My '03 had the steering wheel clicking - like you said, very faint and at low speed - and I was also feeling a very faint notchiness when turning the wheel. The dealer checked the column bearings, which were ok, and ended up replacing the rack. The same symptoms developed about a week or two later, and I ended up getting ANOTHER new rack. Haven't noticed any problems since. This was all under warranty, fortunately for me.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:06 PM
YakiMini
5th Gear
Notchiness is another symtom that I forgot to mention. So what exactly did they replace? Is it part of the steering wheel column? or a part found under the bonnet?
Motor On! & thanks for responding w/ your experience!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:20 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YakiMini
Notchiness is another symtom that I forgot to mention. So what exactly did they replace? Is it part of the steering wheel column? or a part found under the bonnet?
Motor On! & thanks for responding w/ your experience!
Me? On my car, they replaced the steering rack, which is down by the front suspension (or should be anyway - I haven't personally looked). I have not had my steering column replaced, although I know people who have.

It seems that this clicking/clunking/notchiness is indicative of two different problems. 1) the rack being bad, or 2) the column bearings being bad. It's something that if you take it in to the dealer they will check those two areas (assuming we're correct that it is one of those issues and not something else altogether) and fix (i.e. replace) the one or both that is/are the problem.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:40 AM
camelpilot
Banned
It's definitely the latch system that knows when you have used the indicator that is making the sound.

Anyone have any luck with the method I described above? I'm not the only one that has fixed it with this method.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:44 AM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by camelpilot
It's definitely the latch system that knows when you have used the indicator that is making the sound.

Anyone have any luck with the method I described above? I'm not the only one that has fixed it with this method.
I'm with you, boss. It is definitely a function of the turn signal. It's the same sound that it makes before a turn signal cancel. It is not the rack, struts or other nasty stuff some other folks are suffering from.

Thing is, mine is pretty inconsistent. It hasn't been doing it at all the last day or so. I'm gonna forget about it still it starts up again and will then try your trick.

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:22 PM
William Courant
2nd Gear
Wow! I thought this problem had been fixed on the newer models. I had this occur on my 03 Cooper about a year and a half into owning it. Took it to the dealer under warrenty and they said it's either the rack or the bearing in the steering column. They said they'd try lubing the bearing first and if that didn't solve the problem they'd have to replace the rack. Fortunately, two and a half years down the road and no problem

Old 01-24-2007, 04:50 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by William Courant
Wow! I thought this problem had been fixed on the newer models. I had this occur on my 03 Cooper about a year and a half into owning it. Took it to the dealer under warrenty and they said it's either the rack or the bearing in the steering column. They said they'd try lubing the bearing first and if that didn't solve the problem they'd have to replace the rack. Fortunately, two and a half years down the road and no problem
This is a different issue. The thread has been lost to sufferers of steering rack and strut failures...

Old 01-24-2007, 05:00 PM
C4
Banned
Check the air pressure on your tires. If the air is low, the click would be more audible..

Old 01-24-2007, 06:15 PM
YakiMini
5th Gear
I haven't been able to drive my MC for the last few days but I'll take her out for some fun and try Camelpilots trick. I'll try to post my results...
Motor On!

Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 PM
YakiMini
5th Gear
No More Clicking!

I did as Camelpilot suggested and the clicking/notchy feeling in the steering wheel is gone! It is so nice to not notice it everytime I move the wheel.
Thanks for posting that suggestion Camelpilot!
Motor On!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:27 AM
camelpilot
Banned
You're very welcome YakiMini.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:25 PM
William Courant
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ToroPerro
This is a different issue. The thread has been lost to sufferers of steering rack and strut failures...

Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 PM
.mini
Neutral
My 02 MC has been doing that since I got the car from @##$head herb chambers in 07 now in 10 I still can't afford to have either the rack of column. It's like a free play and clunk or the steering wheels not tight.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel click?