Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Weird noise when I release the clutch and accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Ju5tin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The noise doesn't go on for very long right? Perhaps not even a second? I get this only in the mornings when I first start it up - I've always thought it had something to do with the ABS?

I get a similar noise in my FTO and my brothers CRX as well. I have never really worried about it?

Old 09-07-2007, 07:30 AM
chrisng
2nd Gear
yeah it doesn't go on for very long, but i'm a little concerned about replacing it and getting a lighter clutch becasue i acutally like the heavyness and effort it takes to clutch in in the MINI other cars, well, pale in comparison. has anyone gotten a repair through south bay? (CA)

Old 09-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Scotti280
2nd Gear
I have 19k on my Mini S 06 and my clutch stuck half way down to the floor and wouldnt shift smoothly like normal. I took mine in and the dealer said it was the clutch cylinder...they replaced it and no problems since. They also it was the 4th one they had done recently.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:43 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same thing with me. Usually when it's colder... And only when pulling away from a stop in 1st and only for less than a second and usually after about 2-3 times of this happening, it goes away. I'm guessing flywheel. I'm not going to worry about it until I need to replace the clutch and flywheel due to upgrades/age. I've noticed the noise getting a little more frequent w/the increasing mileage though...

Tim

Originally Posted by Ju5tin
The noise doesn't go on for very long right? Perhaps not even a second? I get this only in the mornings when I first start it up - I've always thought it had something to do with the ABS?

I get a similar noise in my FTO and my brothers CRX as well. I have never really worried about it?

Old 09-26-2007, 07:11 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like so many of you, I have the same issue. It only does it when the car is cold, once it has ran for a bit, it stops. outside temp doesnt seem to affect it anymore either. It does it more and more frequently, I can get it to do it in reverse too, and tonite it actually did it in 2nd gear for a split second. Like someone else said, I can control the noise, and how long the noise lasts to a certain extent.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had this problem, brought it to the dealership, and they said that its no longer under warranty. How long does the maintenance warranty usually last because I bought it last December. Its a used 04, the dealership quoted me 2300 for the replacement of the clutch and flywheel. They said its not going to cause any damages, just that the noise is going to get louder.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
If you end up having to pay for it, get an outside MINI shop to replace it with a good aftermarket flywheel and clutch. You will pay less and have a better clutch.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea thats what I was thinking, right now theres no problem with the clutch except the noise, but hopefully when I install my exhaust it will drown it out.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 AM
flannery
1st Gear
I finally took my 04-S in to have this addressed. I have 38,000 miles. They said there was a leak and some fluid (I think they said motor oil) was getting on the flywheel and clutch plate. The fixed the leak and replaced both the clutch plate and flywheel under warranty. No squeek or bark or noise what so ever this morning. If you are still under warranty take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Any fluid leaking into the clutch is bad so I would press for getting the clutch plate and possibly the flywheel replaced as well. I now have basically a new clutch at 38,000!

Cheers!
Mike

Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Wassim
1st Gear
i too have this problem, it sounds like a clatter when i take off or when im in 2nd at too low of an rpm and trying to accelerate... i took it to the dealer they said they dont hear it and my ears are only tuned to it... i just cant explain it to them.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Tread
2nd Gear
I have this 'chewbacca' noise too... but it has to be really cold, or the car has to have sat for about 3 days or more.

My clutch was replaced for other reasons several months ago. I took it in about this noise, and of course they couldn't reproduce it, but they said it's a common problem, and it's not really anything to worry about.

Should I trust them?

I take my mini to minicorsa, here in socal, and I asked him(Danny) about it. He seemed to also think it was nothing to worry about.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
I have the same problem. I took it in last week, but they couldn't find it.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I had the chewbacca noise and it was the original factory clutch was glazed beyond belief ('05 MCS). MINI picked up the tab $2,500 and replaced the clutch kit and dual mass flywheel with the updated part number in December.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 PM
seatosky
2nd Gear
Add me to this list. My '05 MCS started doing it maybe 10 months ago, at about 26,000kms. Has 36,000kms now and noise has not gone away. It's just started to get warm around here so we will see if it is a cold related issue. The strange thing is, the noise continues for a couple seconds after I have fully engaged the clutch. I first thought it was just a stiff part, the early morning jitters so to speak. But after reading this it seems a bit more serious.

For the sake of information I have a factory LSD in my car. I really hope this doesnt progress in to something bad. It's just out of warranty dammit...

Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Mosman
1st Gear
I dropped my '06 JCW (29,000 miles, had 11,000 when I bought it a year ago)off tuesday for an inspection 1 and a list of warranty items, one of which was "a howl noise when actuating the clutch". Only happens maybe every other week, and only within the first 3 or so clutch engagements in the morning. Service advisor said, "with the clutch item on there, we may need it for a couple of days." That kind of raised an eyebrow, clearly he was aware of what the problem was.

So I get home, hop on NAM, and find this thread. Add me to the list.

Talked to him today (they still have the car) and they are replacing the clutch and flywheel. He says it happens due to glazing on the flywheel when the clutch heats up too quickly based on "driving technique". He said MINI has "tried everything" to keep it from happening, but it may come back.

I've had manual trans cars for 20 years, and have never had a problem, and it didn't start until recently so I don't know that it was the previous owners. Clearly it's not all "driving technique" if they are covering it under warranty.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 AM
devinw
2nd Gear
My '03 S has 66k on it and has the original clutch. It had the flywheel replaced at about 45k with the "updated version" (part number ending in -804). It still has the original clutch with the new flywheel and doesn't make any rattles or chewbaka noises.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:01 AM
spyderman33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mosman
I dropped my '06 JCW (29,000 miles, had 11,000 when I bought it a year ago)off tuesday for an inspection 1 and a list of warranty items, one of which was "a howl noise when actuating the clutch". Only happens maybe every other week, and only within the first 3 or so clutch engagements in the morning. Service advisor said, "with the clutch item on there, we may need it for a couple of days." That kind of raised an eyebrow, clearly he was aware of what the problem was.

So I get home, hop on NAM, and find this thread. Add me to the list.

Talked to him today (they still have the car) and they are replacing the clutch and flywheel. He says it happens due to glazing on the flywheel when the clutch heats up too quickly based on "driving technique". He said MINI has "tried everything" to keep it from happening, but it may come back.

I've had manual trans cars for 20 years, and have never had a problem, and it didn't start until recently so I don't know that it was the previous owners. Clearly it's not all "driving technique" if they are covering it under warranty.
I have the same issue on an 06 MCS... My SA told me the same thing that it was driving technique or that I was resting my foot on the clutch pedal... I, too, have been driving manual transmission cars for over 20 years and I have NEVER been told this... Pretty disappointing... Trying to get it fixed now...

By the way, how many people have had this issue just on NAM???

This sounds like a class action suit waiting to happen...

Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 AM
kmusk01
2nd Gear
On my old 06 Mini S I had this noise and they replaced the flywheel for my under warranty.

I just picked up an 06 Mini S/JCW and I just heard the noise this morning. The car is in warranty till the end of next month. This is the 3-year/36K warranty. Is this covered under that warranty or the 4 year/50K mile warranty?

I think I am just going to bring it in here in the next week or so and leave it over night. This way I know for sure the noise will happen and they can fix it. Also going to see if I buy the clutch kit if they will install that for free since they have everything out already to replace the flywheel.

Thanks,

Ken~

Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 PM
sunnygirl
1st Gear
R57 too

Not that it will be a surprise, but my new R57 is doing it now too. Pretty much on every start with "hill assist," and it is getting more and more frequent. Took it in to the dealer today, we'll see what they say tomorrow. They were able to duplicate the noise right away. Only have 3K miles......

sunnygirl

Old 08-06-2009, 01:18 PM
JustDandy
4th Gear
Clutch squeal/squeak

(I posted this on another, shorter thread and wanted to share here. And I have to agree with the psoter - can someone say "Class Action"!!)

Hey there - my wife's 2005 MINI MCS is on its FOURTH!!! clutch because of this issue. She was talking with MINI USA, got a "no, we can't do anything for you" (to her desparate "get me out of this car please" request).

When she asked why, some idiot manager said the clutch issue is operator/user error. Umm, yeah, right. That's why it was already replaced three times at a huge expense under warranty.

Her car's coming out of warranty and now we're worried about facing a $2500+ repair bill if it happens again. (Though I see all the great suggestsions here about an aftermarket solution).

Has anyone had success talking to MINI USA about this?

And for those of you who got your OEM replacement clutches, how are those performing? Did the squeal return?

(Another question - other than the irritation & embarrassment of the noise, is this dangerous or a peformance reducing problem?)

Old 08-13-2009, 07:33 AM
bschackman
1st Gear
It's a fly wheel issue and mini cooper is aware of the problem. Prestige Mini has replaced it twice under warrenty. They are replacing it for the 3rd time with an improved part today.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:50 PM
Rhonda Pinky Bennett
Neutral
Squealing Mini

I took my Mini Cooper S to Grayson Mini Cooper in Knoxville TN about my squealing in first gear. They charged me $96 for an estimate . The estimate was $4359.00 for a new clutch and flywheel . The clutch is fine. Does anyone think it is the uphill assist ?