Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Weird noise when I release the clutch and accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Seaz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird noise when I release the clutch and accelerate

Ok I got this weird metallic noise from time to time when I'm taking off from a stop, its when I release the clutch and start pressing the gas, sounds like a metallic squeak and it doesn't happen all the time, cold weather seems to make it more common,its also a 1st gear problem, i never get it in any other gear. The problem is when I drive by the dealer and ask them to fix it they cant find anything wrong and of course I can never duplicate it because the car is never cold by the time I get there

anyway does anyone know what this is ?

Mini cooper S - 2006 manual

Old 01-23-2007, 06:35 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the exact same noise at the exact same moment as many other Mini owners. Alot of people have spent alot of money chasing the squeak,but I have yet to here about any parts inspections on this board to confirm whats causing it. So my theory is ,its the dual mass flywheel taking up internal slack as the car moves off in 1st, and when its moving the slack has been removed and no longer squeaks. I will not pull the car apart because ours is out of warrenty( 49,500 miles, but too old),and I think some have reported driving for 20k+ with no problem.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Seaz
1st Gear
wow this isint good news, its a rather anoying noise especialy when i got a passenger who thinks my brand new mini is falling apart

Old 01-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if it is the same as my sqeek it was the dual mass flywheel - a very common problem. They had to change my flywheel TWICE to get the noise to go away

Good luck and keep taking it back untill they fix it right

Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Seaz
1st Gear
Guys it turns out i need more help on this, I had my mother bring in the car this morning as I am stuck at work, the service people could not reproduce the sound and there pretty much brushing me off about this problem, Can anyone break down why the problem is happening so i can give them a dam good explanation,

I personally think I hear it because i tend to drive the car cold (its very cold in montreal right now) and by the time the dealership gets it , well its had time to warm up

Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
FWIW my 7/02 has been making the same noise since i picked it up
Sept. 2002.
I always thought it was caused by a little rust building up on the flywheel surface from sitting in the garage during the week and if not that its just something the comes with having a dualmass flywheel.
Im about to turn 75,000 miles and have zero issues with my clutch or drivetrain. I've read about alot of people taking the car to the dealer to try and figure it out, but its all turned out to be a waste of time and IMO just puts the car at risk for other issues.

James

btw, ONLY happens during the intial take off, then won't happen til the next time my baby comes out for a ride.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Seaz
1st Gear
I cant believe the dealer just tells everyone to basicaly F off, what happened to service, this seems to be a pretty common problem

Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 AM
SRICHS
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like the clutch release bearing is deteriorating quickly. One of two reasons, 1 you'll understand and 1 won't like. Either the bearing is faulty, which out here near chicago, I hear a ton of those problems, or 2nd -- breathe -- driver error..... As in, a 2 footed driver, one always resting on the clutch pedal, wearing out the clutch release bearing...

Old 02-06-2007, 12:08 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
if the bearing was deteriorating, wouldn't the sound have changed by now???
When i hear the noise on my car it's sounds just the same as the first time i ever heard it.
I wouldn't spin my wheels about if I were you.

If you want the dealer to hear the noise, I'd suggest leaving your car overnight so they can be the first to drive it in the morning. Maybe then they'll take something apart for you and hopefully that'll be the end of it.

James

Old 02-06-2007, 12:23 PM
xbook
Banned
I too have this issue. Makes me think my MINI is an old 1950's ford truck. Already had the flywheel and clutch replaced twice. This is a serious bummer. For me if the next repair doesn't do the trick, it will time to get the lawyer out and start the process of a buy-back. I have had this issue since delivery, 9 miles, and have had the SA turn me away 2 times because he is not allowed to take drives in the cars with customers, due to insurance requirements, and cuz he has $hitty ears.

ARGH ... I feel your pain, sorry I have nothing positive to report to you.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a similar issue, but only have 3000 miles. Happens randomly, not always on the first go, but sometimes at stop lights as I pull away. I have heard others describe what sounds like a "Chewbacca' sound and that is exactly what mine sounds like. So random and infrequent however I'm sure MINI service won't hear it.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:40 PM
HotRodPilot
3rd Gear
Buy a lightweight flywheel and embrace the noise like I did

Old 02-06-2007, 01:27 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HotRodPilot
Buy a lightweight flywheel and embrace the noise like I did

Thats ed zachary what i'll be doing when the time comes.

what kind did you go with btw?

Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Seaz
1st Gear
that may be my solution, please suggest one

Old 02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
HotRodPilot
3rd Gear
I got the Spec flywheel. It makes a squeal on moderate to high rpm clutch let out when getting rolling in 1st. It also chatters at idle (but no worse than when my original flywheel when it was rattling). The roar at high RPM, the gas mileage (1-2mpg), and the responsiveness more than make up for it though

I had my original flywheel go sour (chatter at idle) at around 10k miles, so I had it replaced with an OEM one at the dealer. That second one started chatter oh so faintly at 35,000 miles. I had the Spec installed at 36 or 37,000 miles and haven't looked back. I did accidentally squeal one time( I was being lazy with the clutch engagement) and someone thought I honked at him

I had a Quaife installed at the same time too, another wonderful mod

Old 02-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Minut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Seaz
Ok I got this weird metallic noise from time to time when I'm taking off from a stop, its when I release the clutch and start pressing the gas, sounds like a metallic squeak and it doesn't happen all the time, cold weather seems to make it more common,its also a 1st gear problem, i never get it in any other gear. The problem is when I drive by the dealer and ask them to fix it they cant find anything wrong and of course I can never duplicate it because the car is never cold by the time I get there

anyway does anyone know what this is ?

Mini cooper S - 2006 manual
I had that noise. The dealer replaced the clutch under warranty, and the noise is gone.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:36 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
well guys i have had that noise on my mini for the past 4 years, it seems to be the way i engauge the clutch at times, but dosnet do it all the time and its rare, i bought my car with 4 miles on it and now i have over 165,000 miles on the same clutch, same trans and motor not a problem has ever presented itslef and the car shifts fine and drives better, i really dont think you have to worry about the intermittent noise, its really no big deal but to each their own, the dealers have to hear or see the problem to do anything and youll see that with all dealers not just mini, but even with mine making the noise they never changed it and it never given me a problem

good luck on your car and you can sleep easy nowing its not going to break

Old 02-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Seaz
1st Gear
UPDATE >>>>

Ok ... I got so fed up with the dealership saying they cant reproduce the problem that i left work and drove there in some crapy chevy they gave me during my lunch hour. I got into the car with the mechanic and BAMM i made it cherp 4 times in a row , nice and loud !

anyway they have no choice now but to look at the fly and the clutch ! ill keep you guys posted but i think i got them nailed to the wall

Old 02-07-2007, 11:24 AM
4GAZM
5th Gear
lolol way to go brother!!!!!! i hate dealers and their stupid cant reproduce problem!!!! shananagins

Old 02-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
It started to happen at the first 2k miles on my Mini, brought to my dealer and they changed the flywheel. Now, 2 months later, it's started again. This time its happened when downshift from rpm above 4k, randomly though.
I will wait until it happen more frequently, before I bring it in.
This time if they have to change the flywheel again, I will ask them to install Quaife Lsd for me since they will have to drop the transmission anyway.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:57 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Seaz
UPDATE >>>>

Ok ... I got so fed up with the dealership saying they cant reproduce the problem that i left work and drove there in some crapy chevy they gave me during my lunch hour. I got into the car with the mechanic and BAMM i made it cherp 4 times in a row , nice and loud !

anyway they have no choice now but to look at the fly and the clutch ! ill keep you guys posted but i think i got them nailed to the wall
ooh... something must be wrong with yours then if you can make it chirp that often. Mine ONLY makes that noise during the initial take off after sitting for at least a week. Good luck man, tell them bastiges to getter done!!

Old 02-07-2007, 02:58 PM
lilcoopr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 4GAZM
lolol way to go brother!!!!!! i hate dealers and their stupid cant reproduce problem!!!! shananagins
Like when I got LOCKED INSIDE my MINI twice.... And the one time when all the windows and sunroof opened randomly in a parking lot when I was at school - and it was raining!

Took forever for them to own up to fixing it! They said, oh we'll see if it happens to us. Yeah right it ever will. It's random and has only happened twice (the locking in thing).

But finally, I persisted (and also I work there so that might've helped) and they fixed it

Old 02-07-2007, 03:33 PM
CFMINI
4th Gear
I too have this issue. Makes me think my MINI is an old 1950's ford truck. Already had the flywheel and clutch replaced twice. This is a serious bummer. For me if the next repair doesn't do the trick, it will time to get the lawyer out and start the process of a buy-back. I have had this issue since delivery, 9 miles, and have had the SA turn me away 2 times because he is not allowed to take drives in the cars with customers, due to insurance requirements, and cuz he has $hitty ears.
xbook (Jason) -
I had this same clutch noise from about 15K miles to 98.5K miles on my 02 MCS. The dealer (Assael) "could not reproduce" the noise before the 36K warranty was done. Worse when cold, sounded like a chair with aluminum legs dragging across a concrete floor. Learned to live with it and as the car aged, it seemed less noticeable, or maybe my ears were aging faster!!

At 98.5K the throwout bearing seized, that's a REAL different whine than the S/C!! Steve put in a new stock clutch the other day and it is sweet - nice and light. There was no flywheel issues - and the noise is gone.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:47 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
Kinda funny I have the same noise. I believe it is related to the cold weather since I park the car in my garage and in the morning there is no noise but when I leave work(Parked in a outside parking garage) I hear it.

This also only started happening when the weather started getting cold.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:50 PM
xbook
Banned
Craig,

Thanks for the info. It's good to know that it's not a "problem" just an idiosyncrasy. Sorry you had to get a new clutch. Hope it didn't hurt the pocketbook too bad. Funny thing is mine seems to happy more in hot weather, ya know how my MCS can be, never wanting to follow trends....kids today....sheesh....

Quick Reply: Weird noise when I release the clutch and accelerate