Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Silicone radiator hoses, has anyone actually installed them

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 02:20 AM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And if so, do you have any pix?

I would only do this because I think that it would look cool. But having never seen an actual installation I am not sure. If anyone has actually installed these things I would love to see a picture of it.

This fascination is surely a throwback to my youth when all of the roadsters had chrome and colored everything under the hood. As an ancillary note: Are these hoses any better or worse than the originals?

Thanks

Old 05-01-2003, 07:32 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A primary advantage of silicone hoses is their resistance to deterioration when exposed to air/light/environmental elements. While I haven't put them on my MINI, I do now use silicone products for my scuba diving needs. Primary advantage is that it doesn't "rot" like rubber. Therefore = much longer use.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:38 AM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGCMan,

I have a lot of silicone stuff for my diving equip too. It does discolor over time, like the clear portions of some masks, etc. But none of it has rotted off of me yet!

I'm just thinking that with the colored hoses, some colored spark wires, and maybe replacing some of the caps and stuff with those aluminum billet ones, that it might look just a little different. For speed by July I'll have my pulley (July w/ Randy), exhaust (pre-ordered UUC), chip (ditto pulley) and intake (on now). Maybe a little upgrade in under-bonnet pizazz will then be in order!