Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:26 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I took my trusty old hygrometer to it, and it claims the coolant is good to -30*F. I had my Mini in for its Inspection Service 1 before I had it shipped to Alaska, and the dealer claimed the coolant was in good shape and was normal in color. So I never put much thought into it after that...until I decided to look and see what the coolant I bought from MINI looks like.

From what I've been able to tell, there weren't any particles floating around in the coolant, and I could see through it easily. Just looks like the coolant was 'supposed' to have a dark orange tint to it.

I guess I'll have to flush out the coolant soon. Hopefully I won't find any sediment or whatever when I pull the old stuff out...

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Originally Posted by gizzer777
Sounds like you have the "rust colored coolant thing" Suggest you get a hygrometer and check out the protection levels (about ($8) you can then see the true color too....a turkey baster works well too. Coolant also lubricates your cooling system so it must be kept up.

Mini says it is normal but on my ex MCS the protection levels dropped to -25 ...spec is -37. Mini refused to do anything and said the TSB I quoted did not exist.

I had the system flushed and the garbage that came out was unlike anything I had ever seen...sediment galore. (pressure checked good) We used a Vacufill machine that does everything under vacuum and it took 3 fresh water flushes to get the water to run clean. Mine was a 2004 with 20k miles on it. I do not think it is the color that matters as dyes do break down...but I would never use coolant for more than 2-3 yrs...Just my 2 cents

BTW: the coolant I picked up from BMW was also a deep blue in color. A few months later I sold my Mini....

Old 02-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Minicr8zy, you stated you were going to install a 180°F T-stat this summer... be careful... you computer will think your mini has not fully warmed up and will increase the fuel trim to compensate and this will hurt your mileage and possible run your plugs a little sooty and maybe overload your cat.

Just an observation.

YD

Old 02-16-2007, 10:55 AM
pdflint
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just need to top off my coolant reservoir (it's at the Min level). The dealer is too far to make a special trip for a gallon of coolant. Is it OK to add Prestone Extended Life (or equivalent) to the OEM coolant that's in the system?

Old 02-16-2007, 11:46 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdflint
I just need to top off my coolant reservoir (it's at the Min level). The dealer is too far to make a special trip for a gallon of coolant. Is it OK to add Prestone Extended Life (or equivalent) to the OEM coolant that's in the system?
Yeah, Prestone (all makes all models) won't cause any trouble.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:21 PM
MiNi_MaC
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My motoring advisor said i could use any 50/50 antifreez