Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 AM
MiniMusician
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Coolant

... or as some call it: Antifreeze. What brand is recommended?

Old 02-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Mini Works
5th Gear
Minis use a special coolant, available only from the dealership

Old 02-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While Mini does use a special coolant...

it's not that special. Get any phosphate free antifreeze and you'll be fine.

A bottle or two of Water Wetter or equivalent is a good idea too!

If you're really ballsy, check out the Evans cooling products. Gets rid of the water, the thermostat, and the pressure cap!

Matt

Old 02-04-2007, 10:48 AM
MiniMusician
2nd Gear
Water Whater?

Havent heard of Water Wetter... or where you just pulling my leg?

Old 02-04-2007, 10:55 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water Wetter is available from Redline Oil. It enhances the heat transfer capabilities of the antifreeze. http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

Dr. O, have you actually checked with MINI about the use of a different brand of anti-freeze?

Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
No, but....

Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Water Wetter is available from Redline Oil. It enhances the heat transfer capabilities of the antifreeze. http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

Dr. O, have you actually checked with MINI about the use of a different brand of anti-freeze?
If you think about it, it's nothing special. All cars are made of pretty much the same stuff, so the materials compatibility issue is really non-existant. All the newer antifreezes claim to be compatible with all new cars. And I don't think Mini made a special mix just for them. I think they want to charge twice what is should cost for a Mini logo on the bottle.

Also, remember what a lot of Mini dealerships said about oil. Only Castrol, nothing else....

Matt

Old 02-04-2007, 11:50 AM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Works
Minis use a special coolant, available only from the dealership
Sorry, that sounds like so much Whooeey to me. Nearly everything on the MINI is "special, sold only at the dealership". That enables them to charge BMW prices or whatever. I will go original until the warranty is up, then go to whatever I choose. Some stuff the engineers design are special, otherwise its just gouging (sp?).:impatient BTW, does anyone know what the protection level is from the factory? I used to have one of those coolant checkers but its lost, besides it wasn't "special, sold only by the MINI dealership" so I couldn't have used it anyway!

Old 02-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Mini Works
5th Gear
The Mini coolant available from the dealership, is not that expensive.

$20 for a gallon, just add water

Old 02-04-2007, 12:29 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
My concern comes from all of the posts/news about the problems associated with mixing the so called extended life antifreezes with reg. antifreeze. Is this the case with the stock MINI antifreeze? What types of antifreeze is it absolutely compatable with?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
I just went down to my dealer and picked up a jug of MINI anti-freeze. Then I made a 50/50 mix with some distilled water.

Prestone also has a extended life anti-freeze for all makes and models. It comes in regular and pre-diluted with distilled water.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:16 PM
kapps
6th Gear
I used Prestone All Makes All Models.

Remember, this engine is a BMW/Chrysler joint venture. It's used in some other Chryslers in Europe. There is no special coolant, just make sure it is silicate and phosphate free like the manual says. Water Wetter is a good addition as well.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:28 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Coolant silicates

Originally Posted by kapps
I used Prestone All Makes All Models.

Remember, this engine is a BMW/Chrysler joint venture. It's used in some other Chryslers in Europe. There is no special coolant, just make sure it is silicate and phosphate free like the manual says. Water Wetter is a good addition as well.
I have sold my 04 MCS due to all the major problems reported on NAM ...I miss it but had no intention of getting caught up in one of those expensive quirks once the warranty was out. I had lost confidence in the Mini...My problems had been nothing major but it was simply not worth the bother any more....A PITY...so much fun to drive.

Funny thing about the silicates. Both BMW and Mini coolant list silicates as ingredients on the jug! Yet you are not supposed to use silicates

Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 PM
splicer65
1st Gear
What you are looking for is called G-05 . Take a look at this pdf link.

http://www.valvoline.com/zerex/pdf/Z...olantChart.pdf

All major brands feature this HOAT chemistry. Scroll down for a more detailed view

Paul

Old 02-05-2007, 05:23 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Gizzer, it is unfortunate that you sold the MINI due to all of the reports. I think NAM and the internet in general make it sound a lot worse than it really is (meaning you hear about the few when thousands are doing well).

It is also a shame that everything is becoming so technical that only rocket scientists will know what to do under a bonnet (or hood). I read the manual, read the antifreeze product bottles, and went with Prestone. Of course, I wouldn't have had to if the coolant bottle hadn't split and spewn the coolant all over the place.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:45 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Originally Posted by splicer65
What you are looking for is called G-05 . Take a look at this pdf link.

http://www.valvoline.com/zerex/pdf/Z...olantChart.pdf

All major brands feature this HOAT chemistry. Scroll down for a more detailed view

Paul
I've heard good things about G-05. I'll probably try it this summer when I'm due for a flush.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:01 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mines going to get flushed at the dealer this spring as well.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just bought two bottles of MINI antifreeze and noticed that it has a blue tint to it. Popped open the coolant reserve bottle on the Mini and the coolant has more of a orange/tan tint to it. Coolant hasn't been changed or flushed out to my knowledge. What color is the coolant in your Mini?

Old 02-06-2007, 06:38 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Not sure but

Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
I just bought two bottles of MINI antifreeze and noticed that it has a blue tint to it. Popped open the coolant reserve bottle on the Mini and the coolant has more of a orange/tan tint to it. Coolant hasn't been changed or flushed out to my knowledge. What color is the coolant in your Mini?
Sounds like you have the "rust colored coolant thing" Suggest you get a hygrometer and check out the protection levels (about ($8) you can then see the true color too....a turkey baster works well too. Coolant also lubricates your cooling system so it must be kept up.

Mini says it is normal but on my ex MCS the protection levels dropped to -25 ...spec is -37. Mini refused to do anything and said the TSB I quoted did not exist.

I had the system flushed and the garbage that came out was unlike anything I had ever seen...sediment galore. (pressure checked good) We used a Vacufill machine that does everything under vacuum and it took 3 fresh water flushes to get the water to run clean. Mine was a 2004 with 20k miles on it. I do not think it is the color that matters as dyes do break down...but I would never use coolant for more than 2-3 yrs...Just my 2 cents

BTW: the coolant I picked up from BMW was also a deep blue in color. A few months later I sold my Mini....

Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 AM
DOT191
3rd Gear
I Believe It is Recommened that Coolant System be Flushed every 2 Years.I have had it done Twice on our 2003 MC.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:44 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Mini says

Originally Posted by DOT191
I Believe It is Recommened that Coolant System be Flushed every 2 Years.I have had it done Twice on our 2003 MC.
I agree...MINI says every 4 years! more of that extended service stuff....no thanks. It was a good thing I did it last august because we had really frigid conditions here a month ago. Even though I was selling...I felt more comfortable!

Old 02-06-2007, 07:59 AM
minicr8zy
1st Gear
AntiFreeze Color

Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
Just a note back as I was reading this thread. My anitfreeze color is an orange color. Checked it and it is good for way colder than most places get in the U.S. (I did say most). I like to flush or change the coolant every two years too. I recently went to the Mini dealer and asked to have the car checked over. Mentioned a radiator flush and they stuck to the four-year specification and did not wish to do it. Guess that saved me some money...

I'll probably go ahead and do a flush when I get the new thermostat (180degree) that I want to use for the hot and humid SouthEast summers.

Recently purchased Prestone and distilled water to go ahead and get it done. Waiting on the thermostat ......

Old 02-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Without a good system...

flushing the Mini is a pain.

Matt

Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 AM
MiniMusician
2nd Gear
coolant color

One of the reasons I posted this thread is because I'd noticed that the coolant in my Mini was blue. Hadnt seen that before. I'm use to the green color. I like to keep oil and coolant on hand, just in case I need to add. Especially since the closest dealership is a couple hours away.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
The blue/green was used in all the cars...

but depending on what other crap was in the cooling system, we pretty much mostly drive around with orange/brown! There were bigger stinks about this in 02/03, but as far as I know, it's never changed....

Matt

Old 02-06-2007, 08:29 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Flushing

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
flushing the Mini is a pain.

Matt
try to find a place with a vacufill machine. makes it very simple. The machine is made by Uview and there is no removing the lower hose or bleeding required...works great!

Quick Reply: Engine Coolant