Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Recalls...how many are there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 01:29 AM
pooky13
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading about the coolant resevoir problems many MINI MCS owners are talking about. What other recall issues are there with either models? I'd really like to know what to expect when my MINI finally arrives.

-Pooky :???:

Old 05-02-2003, 03:39 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Since you haven't gotten your car yet -- I'm assuming it's still being produced or has recently been produced and is shipping -- you don't have to worry about existing recalls. There have only been a few (coolant tank was NOT a recall) and all have related to errors in the manufacturing process. Things like the wrong transmission fluid being installed, loose bolts, faulty transmission linkage cable, and the like.

While there's no guarantee that an error isn't being made on your car as it's being produced now, it's unlikely...and certainly the previous errors aren't likely to be repeated again.

Rest easy.

Old 05-02-2003, 11:33 AM
pooky13
4th Gear
The reason I'm so worried is that my MINI is a 2002 MCS (2000miles on her) and is coming from Germany. I have spoken to a dealer sales manager here in CA and I'm worried about the warranty coverage...the manager says all he needs is the vin number then he could inform me of the details.

I just hope Pooky Jr. is in good shape.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
The balance of the cars warranty should transfer to you. Now, I've got to ask.... What possessed you to buy a used car, sight unseen, from Germany? Will it have to have any changes done to be legal in the states? Emissions, side markers, and the like?
I will say that after following this site (and Mini2) I would say the '02 models have more flaws inherent in them than the '03s.
Good luck on your car, and happy motoring. :smile:

Old 05-02-2003, 02:39 PM
jsun
6th Gear
Yeah, now I'm really curious. I figure that your Pooky is a US-spec car that was originally purchased new by a Germany-based US military owner? I've heard of a few of those coming back to the US. Please tell us that it's not a European market car that you're going to try to get US certified...

Anyhow, the dealer's right about the VIN. That will give you the best info. Also, once you get that (or before, if you know already) find out the build date. Let us know that and we can guess what sorts of recalls MAY impact you. But the good news is that it's a MCS. That means that about the only recall that could impact you would be the shift linkage one...and that was only for very early build 2002 cars.

Old 05-03-2003, 12:34 AM
pooky13
4th Gear
Jsun & Moorlockx,

It's a long story guys...basically I responded to an auto ad for the MCS about a month ago. In the ad the seller noted his location in Los Angeles and that the car has a little over 2k miles on it. So I was delighted to make plans to head over to LA (I live in San Jose, CA) to see the car, when the seller informs me that he's in Germany and will make plans to deliver the car to US soil soon. He says the car is in "excellent condition and meets US standards," so I was kinda surprised by this.

I was really hoping he was a US Military officer as you guys mentioned(I still don't know), but I thought let's see if he can pass the DMV with this car. I expressed my concerns about emission regulations and warranty coverage, etc...but I suppose he can answer all my questions when I meet him. As far as certifying the car for US use, that's his problem as I will not purchase a car that doesn't meet these US standards, period.

So :evil:

I'll keep you guys posted on my issues with my MINI. But in the case that this whole thing doesn't work out, I will look into purchasing a MINI from the dealer instead.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions folks!

Old 05-03-2003, 05:05 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Wow...best of luck to you, and it will be fascinating to hear how this all turns out. I mean, I've heard of folks here buying cars without test drives, but thinking about buying a non-US-spec car that has yet to be imported really takes the cake.

Have you browsed the marketplace thread here on MCO? I'm sure that there's something you can buy in terms of a used MCS that will be a safer bet than the import. Most importantly, I believe that there's a really good chance that no US dealer will warranty your car IF it was not built for the US market!! At very least, you'll end up having some "interesting" conversations with the US dealer. All in all, a whole lot more hassle than it's worth when you could go buy a new or used MINI with no or minimum wait. Look, you're not gettting to choose the car's specs anyway (i.e., you're not ordering it built), so why not go buy new from dealer stock someplace???

Old 05-03-2003, 07:42 AM
kamakazi
1st Gear
>>. What other recall issues are there ? >>
>>-Pooky :???:
r
There are at least 7 safety recalls

1 fuel filler

2 bc1 computer

3 shift cable on 5 speed

4 wrong lube in cvt

5 parking brake

6 underbonnet insulation

7 Rear strut bolts

most of these recalls affect some not all of the production .i.e. parking brake only affect right hand drive cars

Additionally there are many "service bulletins", i.e. service problems which affect performance but not safety. These include the water punp gasket and the cooling bottle, among many others.

additional information regarding the recalls/service bulletin is on

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=26676

mini2
null

Old 05-03-2003, 01:43 PM
pooky13
4th Gear
Thanks guys, and thanks Kamakazi for the recall info.

Kamakazi's are actually my signature drink...I could use one right now.

-Pooky13