Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Break-in: Non-Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 03:31 PM
tacotim
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand the MINI comes with Synthetic oil from the factory (or pseudo synthetic, according to some arguments). Several texts suggest to break in an engine with non-synthetic oil. You want the parts to "wear together", and Synthetic is too slippery for an efficient break-in. Same texts say to definitely use synthetic, just do your break-in with normal oil. Anyone have their dealer, trusted mechanic, etc. recommend this, or di this themselves?

As I understand, it could potentially reduce the break-in time...

Old 05-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
It also has the potential for diastrous results. If you've followed these threads, you'll know the Mini is not perfect and some have had faults. I wouldn't want to witness the discussion between you and your dealer as he tells you the price of a motor is going to have to come out of your pocket if they discover a non-recommended oil in the crankcase. It won't be a pretty sight!
The motor is design to run the synthetic. The possible shortening of the already short breakin period doesn't seem to justify the use of a potentially warranty voiding item (which by the way, may still be detectable in an oil analysis 3 or 4 oil changes down the road, since you never really drain all of the oil in a motor when you change it).

Old 05-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Cynamini
3rd Gear
>>It also has the potential for diastrous results. If you've followed these threads, you'll know the Mini is not perfect and some have had faults. I wouldn't want to witness the discussion between you and your dealer as he tells you the price of a motor is going to have to come out of your pocket if they discover a non-recommended oil in the crankcase. It won't be a pretty sight!
>> The motor is design to run the synthetic. The possible shortening of the already short breakin period doesn't seem to justify the use of a potentially warranty voiding item (which by the way, may still be detectable in an oil analysis 3 or 4 oil changes down the road, since you never really drain all of the oil in a motor when you change it).

Nicely said Moorlockx! Since BMW 'probably' knows what their doing when building a car. I have chosen to follow the recommended oil changes. Thanks for solidifying my decision!!!

Old 05-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
You are fine don't worry about it.

All Corvettes and GM F-Bodies have been using Mobil One Synthetic for years from the factory and no problems.

Modern motors are 90 some percent broken in before you ever pick up the car so there is very little left to break in. The 1250 mile break in is more for the tranny, differential and other drivetrain components to break in then the motor.