Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CVT Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:00 PM
rehsper
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CVT Fluid Change

Anybody out there do their own CVT fluid change? Our '03 is due for it first Inspection I service including the tranny fluid change and I'm considering doing it myself. The procedure in the Bentley manual initially scared me off of it as it requires quite a few contortions, but I think I can get it done.

Your experiences and insights pertaining to this particular job would be appreciated.

I'm wondering what the BMW special tool, # 24 8 100, required for the job consists of. It would almost appear to be just a rubber tube with a brass fitting on the end that threads into the fill/level plug. I tried finding it on realoem.com, but could not locate that part number.

Also, what type of pump did you use and is the return valve really necessary? (The procedure says, "Close return valve of CVT fluid pump so that oil cannot flow in either direction.") Later in the procedure you remove the fill tube altogether while the engine is running.

Another step in the procedure requires measuring the temperature of the fluid. Short of dropping a thermometer in the tranny is there a way for the home mechanic to extract this information from the car?

Thanks in advance,
Will

Old 02-12-2007, 07:09 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the dealer do mine. When I first got my CVT, I had leakage problems from when the car was put together. I took it in and they found that the seal was torn and that the pan edge had a nick in it that was allowing fluid to drip out. After going back to the dealer several times, they finally located the problem, fixed it and sent me on my way. When it came time for the fluid to be changed, I decided that it would be too involved and besides, they have all the tools and specs there...and could guarantee their work.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:07 PM
C4
Banned
Ours was done during the second 25K mile service. the car now has 41K miles. It is a 2002 MC CVT.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:11 AM
DOT191
3rd Gear
The MFGR of the CVT States that the fluid should be Changed at Appx 27K Miles. Our 2003 MC with CVT, which by the way has been operating fine, will have this done when we reach that Mileage.We will be past our warranty period but it will be done.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:11 AM
boogshag
1st Gear
If you haven't changed it already, here's the sneaky easy way to do it. First off, this not for an S. Rather than "pumping" the replacement fluid back into the tranny, you can do a simple straight fill from a plug hidden under the battery box. So there is some simple disassembly required; the air intake hose, 5 bolts (if i recall correctly) on the bottom inside of the air box, etc. When that is out, you'll see an allen recess plug like the drain plug on the bottom. You'll need a fairly long thin funnel or hose, but it is simple gravity feed. You can only buy the fluid from the dealer, so acquire a 1 gallon milk jug totally cleaned and dried out and take that to their service dept and ask to buy a gallon...they only stock it in drums and not by the quart...maybe call them first. mine was about $7.50/quart. When you drain it, pour it into another gallon jug, then partially empty your new stuff into another clean container until both jugs are the same amount. Then just refill, and ignore all that stuff about temp and fill level, or follow it and see if it comes out right. Mine did. BTW, this may not empty the small amount in the tranny cooler, etc, but I think it is at least a 90% change.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
rehsper
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks boogshag. It's nice to know that someone else out there prefers to do there own maintenance. I was getting a bit discouraged about this forum. The majority of discussion is not about maintaining/fixing your own car, but how to get the dealer to do it for you. I'm still clinging to the hope that I can work on this car myself.

The car needed to go to the dealer for some warranty stuff anyway (it expires on the March 14), so I had them do the fluid change. Cost: $116.XX, including $69.30 for labor. Steep for a tranny flush, but not too hard to swallow considering.

I thought about doing the change the way you suggest. The elusive "BMW special tool" discouraged me. That and the wrath of my wife if I were to eff up the tranny.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:26 PM
boogshag
1st Gear
I can see what you mean! Anyway, the method I described doesn't require that tool so in the next 30K miles, think about it! It really only takes under an hour also. not a bad deal. Took that long for the parts counter guy to figure out my cost/qt for the fluid. Cheers

Old 09-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Soupamoto
1st Gear
boogshag, any update on your CVT tranny fluid change? I am about to do mine this same way and would like to know if it worked out OK for you in the long run.

Anybody know if this is really the right tranny fluid? Price is right if it is:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...s-t_fluid.html