Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Wild and Crazy speedometer and tach!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Missy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I LOVE my '03 Red CVT MINI-it has an Aug. '02 build date, I took ownership the day after Thanksgiving and I have 9,000 miles to date. My question is if anyone has a crazierMINI than mine? After 2 recalls (tranny fuild and bolt), engine stalling(not cold start problem), windows going down over very rough pavement, engine fan (I think) staying on after the car is off for 30 minutes or so, under dash rattle, and now the latest--The speedometer and tach needles go WILD when the MINI is OFF! They go back & forth, sort of like the Twilight Zone clock with a tick, tick, tick sound. I wondering if anyone has experienced this freaky issue. CHRISTINE has been reincarnated! By the way I have brought in my MINI in for all issues except the speedometer issue and the repeat stalling even after the software upgrade. The dealership and MINI relations have not called back.
Any help would be wonderful!
-Missy

Old 05-04-2003, 07:31 AM
Priscilla
2nd Gear
The engine fan thing is programed into the car to cool the engine after a "hot" run [you know, 20 miles of stop and go traffic in Spring or better weather]. the fan will "run on" or even come on a few minutes latter to remove heat from the engine compartment. the first time I saw it I had jsut come home and was puttering around the car ["jus lookin at her"] when the fan kicked in, I nearly jumped out of my skin

Old 05-04-2003, 11:46 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
The wild acting speedo and tach dials need help- call your service advisor- your car is taken over by spirits.

As for the fan turning on. It is all based on engine temperature. Last week at the track I was driving the skid pad hard for about 10 minutes then parked my MCS. In about a minute or two the fan went all automatically and buzzed around trying to cool off the overheating engine. I raised the bonnet to help out a little and when the temperature fell the fan stopped. It may do this as well on a hot day in rush hour traffic and if you run your AC.

Quite a list of problems you got there- sorry to hear about everything.
From the title of the tread I thought at first you had some really great looking mod for the face of the speedo and tach as in "wild and crazy" appearance
Good luck

Old 05-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Missy
1st Gear
Thanks for the help- I will schedule an appt. this coming week.

Old 05-04-2003, 03:48 PM
RCristiano
5th Gear
Be sure to let your dealer know if your car starts to suffocate people or run them over, too.

Old 05-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Missy
1st Gear
>>Be sure to let your dealer know if your car starts to suffocate people or run them over, too.

Actually, I almost suffocated myself (or it seemed like it). My boyfriend was in band practice (boring) and I was so tired that I fell asleep in my MINI. I woke up gasping for air about a hour or so later. Pretty stupid on my part. I learned a lesson-CRACK the windows. Funny though-I used to sleep for hours in my Crown Vic-could it be the size?

Old 05-06-2003, 12:53 AM
Azwed
5th Gear
>>>>Be sure to let your dealer know if your car starts to suffocate people or run them over, too.
>>
>>Actually, I almost suffocated myself (or it seemed like it). My boyfriend was in band practice (boring) and I was so tired that I fell asleep in my MINI. I woke up gasping for air about a hour or so later. Pretty stupid on my part. I learned a lesson-CRACK the windows. Funny though-I used to sleep for hours in my Crown Vic-could it be the size?

The MINI is probably damn near air tight and I really doubt the Crown Vic is any where close to air tight.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:03 AM
mightyMiniz
Banned
Is your Mini named Christine by any chance?

Old 05-06-2003, 02:45 AM
jsun
6th Gear
>>>>>>Be sure to let your dealer know if your car starts to suffocate people or run them over, too.

Old 05-06-2003, 03:26 PM
0wen0
3rd Gear
>>The speedometer and tach needles go WILD when the MINI is OFF! They go back & forth, sort of like the Twilight Zone clock with a tick, tick, tick sound. I wondering if anyone has experienced this freaky issue.

I went to my car around lunchtime one day and the speedometer was going nuts exactly as described above. It was bouncing between 0-10 at something insane like 180hz. I put the keys in turned the ignition to acc and it stopped. I haven't seen it since(knock on wood). I'd be curious what your MINI dealer says about it.

Owen

Old 05-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Missy
1st Gear
>>>>The speedometer and tach needles go WILD when the MINI is OFF! They go back & forth, sort of like the Twilight Zone clock with a tick, tick, tick sound. I wondering if anyone has experienced this freaky issue.
>>
>>I went to my car around lunchtime one day and the speedometer was going nuts exactly as described above. It was bouncing between 0-10 at something insane like 180hz. I put the keys in turned the ignition to acc and it stopped. I haven't seen it since(knock on wood). I'd be curious what your MINI dealer says about it.
>>
>>Owen
THANK YOU OWEN-NOW I DON'T FEEL LIKE I'M GOING CRAZZZY!
--Missy

Old 05-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Missy
1st Gear
>>>>>>>>Be sure to let your dealer know if your car starts to suffocate people or run them over, too.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Actually, I almost suffocated myself (or it seemed like it). My boyfriend was in band practice (boring) and I was so tired that I fell asleep in my MINI. I woke up gasping for air about a hour or so later. Pretty stupid on my part. I learned a lesson-CRACK the windows. Funny though-I used to sleep for hours in my Crown Vic-could it be the size?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>The MINI is probably damn near air tight and I really doubt the Crown Vic is any where close to air tight.
>>
>>Yeah, but I don't think that the MINI is supposed to be air tight when you have the car turned off and the cabin air recirculation button isn't pressed! SO, either you have the recirculation button ON when you turned off the car (and anyway I think it should open/reset at power-off), or that's one more thing wrong with Missy's car.
>>
>>Missy, do mention this to the dealer when you take it in. I personally think that your MINI has multiple errors in its OBC (computer) or bus (the "wiring harness" that connects components to the computer)...and this needs to be corrected. Other MCOers have reported similar problems, but just not all together like you. The common thread was electrical/OBC/bus.
>>
>>Just make sure that they do a thorough inspection of the electrical system and don't just fix one problem and let you drive. I say this since I don't know your dealer and it's an unfortunate, all too often, auto service response to (particularly female) customers.
Thanks for the help- I'll need it tomorrow. My dealer is Long Beach Mini (CA). The servicing dealer always seems shocked when I inform them with my "concerns".
-Missy

Old 05-08-2003, 09:11 AM
jsun
6th Gear
So Missy, what happened??

Old 05-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Missy
1st Gear
I got my MINI back! First it was reprogrammed with the software 33.2. With the speedometer they decided it was an electrial concern (really?) but could not find any errors or duplicate any symptom. They programed Kombi and Kombi 2 -the instrument clusters. The service advisor told me to let him know if any issues duplicate so he can call BMW and send them back to the drawing board. That was reassuring.

Old 05-09-2003, 07:02 PM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
Get the movie rights signed now. then pray for crazed events. Deaths would help. God some people have all the luck. All mine will done is run like a bat out of hell, but that is not movie worthy. Gee, I envy you and yours.

Motor on

In your case. Weird on!