Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Power steering fluid leaking from reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:58 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering fluid leaking from reservoir

So, I noticed my car had leaked some fluid for the first time the other day. It was brownish clear like brand new motor oil but not as slippery. I looked at the PS reservoir and it seems to be coming out the top at the cap as it is dirty there and also the dripping is right below that area.

I actually noticed it when I moved the car out of the garage temporarily only to back it in 5 minutes later without driving anywhere. I wiped it up, then the car sat for a whole day and there was no leak. However, this morning, after being driven home last night, then parked warm, my wife noticed it on the floor again.

It seems to me that it only leaks when the car is hot, not all the time when it is cool. Is it possible that my PS fan has gone out and that is causing the leak or is the cap defective? Teh fluid is slightly low but is still a little over halfway on teh mini dipstick.

I looked around here and saw that the PS fan is a 5 amp fuse. Anyone know what number it is or is there only 1 5 amp fuse? Any other ideas before I drive 2 hours to the dealer.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the fluid level in the reservior low? When full cold the fluid level is generally a bit more than an inch from the top of the reservoir. The cap has a vent built into it. If the fluid itself is getting very hot it can expand and come out of the cap vent. Also, if the fluid is too low, air can get drawn into the hydraulic system and cause the fluid to foam. Much like opening up a shaken bottle of cola, the foamy fluid can bubble out of the vent. If the fluid has recently been topped off, it could be venting excess as well.

Note that the MINI power steering system does not use ordinary fluid found at the typical auto parts emporium. The fluid is a synthetic, Pentosin CHF-11S. It can be had, naturally, at your MINI dealer. If low, do not mix in 'regular' power steering fluid.

Note also that if your fluid level is low, and there is no sign other than the cap of where it's disappearing to, some people have had problems with the power steering rack seals failing, causing fluid loss into the tie rod end boots. The fluid hides there not showing outward signs of leakage. Replacement of the steering rack is in order for those rare situations.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:47 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This isn't about the cap leak but a few of us older model MINIs have had this kind of leak.

All it took was a 7/8ths hose clamp to fix.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice pics K,

Lee, this design of reservior has been around for years, and these caps have always let fluid run out the vent. I always wipe it down with a rag first when I service one. If you are getting fluid in the driveway, you may want to replace the clamp(s) before going to the dealer. You don't have to take the hose off (this will only make a mess), instead use a small screwdriver to loosen the clamp, undo the hook, and open. Open the new clamp all the way and just leave the hose on there. You get the idea, Easy enough... The CHF11s can be purchased at any reputable import parts shop, it also carries BMW, Porsche and Rolls-Bentley part numbers. Expect to pay about $18 to $20 for a liter.
--Dan

Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
OK, I will look for that clamp. The side of my reservoir is really nasty though. I will try to post a picture over the weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:47 AM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
checking the level

Hi guys:

I decided to inspect the ps fluid level after having it for over a year. What am I looking at here? All I saw was a dipstick with 2 lines on it. The car was parked overnight when I checked it. The level was at the first line from the bottom. Is that low or normal? I wish the owner's manual would mention something.

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:41 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The fluid should be between the two lines. When cold, it will read lower. Check the fluid again after the car has been run for a while, it will probably be a bit higher. No need to add fluid when it's at the lowest line and cold.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:57 AM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
Just what I am looking for, thanks Greatbear.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:11 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
OK, I did some up close inspection and the problem does indeed seem to be coming from the clamp that k-huevo posted. I changed to a standard hose clamp and it seems better. I will keep checking the garage floor. My fluid level is about halfway between teh lines, so I guess I caught it before losing much. I guess there are some benefits to having a clean, tiled garage floor.

I think the general gunkiness on the side of the reservoir was just normal leaking and lack of cleaning of my engine compartment.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:15 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
OK, it does not seem to be fixed. The area around the hose clamp seesm cleaner now, but I have fluid on teh floor still. Maybe even more than before.

I will have to climb under the car I guess or take it to the dealer.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The control arm bushings are filled with an amber fluid that is not very slippery. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=82319

Once you get under the vehicle you’ll be able to locate the source and end the speculation.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:37 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
Well, I changed my oil this weekend and checked what I could and did not see anything ontoward. Also, the leak has stopped appearing on the floor so I guess it was residual fluid trapped in the metal piece wrapped around the hose(this was just about the only place I could see any grimy buildup), which I assume is a heat sheild.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:03 AM
HPzie
2nd Gear
Great information, just hit 67K miles on my 06 MCS and notice the same leaks.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:46 PM
pfspeeddemon
1st Gear
Originally Posted by k-huevo
This isn't about the cap leak but a few of us older model MINIs have had this kind of leak.

All it took was a 7/8ths hose clamp to fix.
Hello, this is my first post here!

Yes indeed, this is my problem too with my 2002 MCS. I've replaced the clamp on the front hose shown in your photos but how does one get at the rear hose to replace its clamp ? I just couldn't figure it out. Do I need to remove something to get at it ?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to unmount the reservoir from the mount that holds it in place. This gives you bit more access to get to the rear clamp. it's a small 6mm nut

Old 12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
pfspeeddemon
1st Gear
Yeah Barnabas, thank you much. I gave it to a mechanic to do and I'm glad I did as it was quite a hassle...he had to remove the bracket and even the expansion tank. Now I think the hose clip on the feed pipe where it fits on to the pump also needs changing as I'm still getting oil drops beneath the car...

Old 02-04-2012, 11:26 AM
redhotchillipepper
1st Gear
That is a project the I will be posting here soon. Just waiting on a sunny day. MR NO GARAGE HERE. That will not stop me!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM
redhotchillipepper
1st Gear
I like to add to these. I just did the power steering hoses in my driveway on a wet forecast day here in North Carolina area. And it did not cost me the $600.00 the mini dealer charges. The parts were $110.00 and time spend doing the job less then two hours. And that was with a coffee break and looking for some magazines to place under the tires once I was done with the installation. You know so you can turn the wheels once you have the car on the floor. Wife is probably will kill me if she find out it was the vampire guy Jacob some thing lol... Ops
Any who I don't have a computer to down load the photos the show how easy it is. In my opinion not having a garage make it longer to work specilty if you are under the weather.
Happy motoring to all of you.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great, looking forward to the phoots when you have a chance.

Where in NC are you located?

You can borrow my garage if you are nearby.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 PM
redhotchillipepper
1st Gear
Gastonia is near Charlotte, if any one knows how to post the from iPhone please share with me.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
One thing no one mentioned, if your power steering fluid is brown, you really need to change it - it should be a pretty minty green!

It's a bit messy, but drain the reservoir, then remove the hose from the steering rack and with the engine off, turn the wheels back and forth to expell as much of the fluid as you can. Reinstall the hoses, fill the reservoir, start the car and turn the wheels lock to lock till it works all the air out of the system, don't forget to top of the fluid. It will take pretty much a full quart (sorry, liter) to do this.....

Old 02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
redhotchillipepper
1st Gear
I use a spray bottle on the stream position. Suck all the fluid out place a drip pan under the car. It was brown for real. Not any more. I post the photo on my facebook page. I can find how to add the here using my IPhone. Sorry

Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
...drain the reservoir, then remove the hose from the steering rack...
How hard is it to remove the hose from the steering rack? I don't see a good way to "see" it so I guess you will have to do it from feel?

My hose to the steering rack is leaking from the reservoir down. I tried new clamps at the reservoir but it is still leaking so I guess I need to change the whole hose.

Thanks,
Kevin