Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Exhaust is rattling....Dealer fix or should I attempt to tig

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 12:36 PM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well....The exhaust decided to start make a racket today like a baby rattle. Happens at 800rpm and about 2400rpm. Coming from the center of the car, right around the cat. I hat to run to the dealer every time something jumps up (its about a 45 minute drive) but maybe this is worth taking in.

Has anyone dinked around with a loose exhaust here? I am at least tempted to look it over, but maybe it's not worth it. I guess maybe that's why you have a warranty on the thing.

And with the mods I am planning, maybe I should use it while I still can!

Old 05-04-2003, 12:40 PM
X2Board
5th Gear
The car is just politely asking for a Magnaflow, you should listen before it decides to shed the stock exhaust in the most inconvenient place possible.

x2

Old 05-04-2003, 12:44 PM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
Ya know X2 I guess it's all about learning the language of cars! How was I to know my Mini is merely asking for upgrades!!! Actually i am waiting for the UUC exhaust to come out, so I'll have to limp along with the stock one until then.

Think I'll go out and put the car up on the ramps and take a peek at the problem area. Who knows what I'll find....

Old 05-04-2003, 01:08 PM
X2Board
5th Gear
BTW: You should take it to the dealer, if you attempt to fix it and can't they may see your "tool marks" on the flange nuts and deny warranty coverage based on that, don't laugh, it's happened before.

X2

Old 05-04-2003, 01:53 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
I would at least take a look at it. It may be something that you can fix without the dealer getting involved. Besides, even if you're planning on taking it in, you may want to find out whether or not it'll last for a 45 minute drive to the dealer
It sounds like it may be the heat shield vibrating. There's no way a dealer can legitimately claim tightening an exhaust bolt or clamp will void the warranty (unless you manage to break something in the process).

Old 05-04-2003, 02:18 PM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
Moorlockx,

Yeah, I think I'll look at it. I have been working on cars most of my life, but not on new ones. It's funny when you get a brand new car, it's sorta like you don't want to touch anythig for fear of breaking it. On my other cars, it was roll-up-the-sleeves-and-thrash every weekend to improve (hopefully) some part or another.

It would be cool to crawl under the Minski anyway! Guess I'll go get the ramps...

Old 05-04-2003, 06:14 PM
DavidR.
2nd Gear
OK this was weird.............

I put the Mini up on the ramps, crawled underneath to see if the exhaust was loose, didn't wait quite long enough for cool down and about fried my hand.

Go back into the house for a burrito and back outside.

Every bolt in the central support plate for the exhaust was loose. Not even finger tight. No wonder it was making noise. I guess it must have been coffe break time when my Mini floated by on the assembly line...... Just when I thought that I was special you find out the world is full of neglect.

Bright side, a few turns of 10mm and we're back in business and saved a trip to the dealer!

Old 05-05-2003, 12:16 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Excellent, Good save.
Just have to heal up that burnt up hand

Old 05-05-2003, 10:29 AM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
While you were under there noodling around, did you look at the rest of the car? If thet missed tightening those, they may well have missed something else. Someone else had a thread on here (or Mini2) about finding some of the bolts loose on the front bumpers.
Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious and was a simple fix. :smile: ...at least up to the fried hand part