Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Strange Electronic Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:18 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange Electronic Problems

Ever since I got the MINI, it's done strange things... electronically. My the ASC will go off by itself and not come back on. I have to stop the car, turn it off, and restart it to turn it back on. Another weird one is you know how the windows will go down a little when you open the door? Well, sometimes the windows won't go back up on their own after you shut the door. Once again, you have to shut the car off (if it's started) and turn it back on. I'm pretty sure that the dealer won't be able to fix this since it's not reproducible on command. The other weird thing is that the passenger side window goes up significantly slower...a lot slower...than the driver's side. When I picked the car up, the rubber seal on the inside of the window was pointing the wrong way. (because of the #@*&! tinter...the same guy that scratched my window... incompetent @!^!& ) Of course, I didn't realize this until a passenger pointed it out to me. The rubber has been turned around now, but I'm wondering if that made it harder for the motor that rolls the windows up and down...and in turn if that did permanent damage. This stuff really concerns me (a long with the strange engine problems I've been having), because if it's doing this now, what will it be doing in 10 years? My parents are trying to talk me into selling the MINI, because they don't think it's going to make the long haul. I must say...one of the reasons I bought this car was for reliability, and so far I'm not impressed.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
I have over 43K miles on mine with very few problems. But, anyone can make a lemon once in a while.

I would make a list of everything that the car is / is not doing and take it to the dealer. Let them know that these are ongoing problems and need to be fixed -- even if they have to keep it for a few days. Make sure your advisor knows that if it is not fixed right - he will see it again, and again

If you can document problems that occur under warranty then if it continues after warranty you have some ammo to get it fixed.

AND any repair by MINI is warrantied for 2 years from the date of repair -- no matter when your factory warranty expires.

Good luck

Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
I think I can help with the slow window. Go to an auto parts store and get an aerosol can of spray silicone. NOT silicone grease! Roll the window down, put the little straw on the spray nozzle and spray down the middle of the rubber channel that guides the window. Wait about 5 minutes and then roll the window up and down a few times. Problem solved, usually.

Chances are that the soap the tinter used when he tinted the window dried out the rubber. The silicone spray will lubricate the rubber properly. It may take 2 or 3 times spraying it and running the window up and down. After that, it will be at least a year before you need to do it again. Use an old terrycloth rag to wipe up any excess and don't let it get on the paint. Let me know if this works for you.