Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help, I mistakenly put regular gas in my Mini.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 04:37 AM
ycatsman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I accidently put regular gas instead of premium in my mini. Will it hurt it even if I fill up with premium the next time?

thanks. :???:

Old 05-07-2003, 04:44 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
It will not hurt the car. The computer will adjust to the lower octane and should be ok. If you are that worried you may want to use an octane booster from a local auto store. But it will be ok. Just don't forget the next time.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:04 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You must wash and wax 3 times next sat. Then sleep with feetfacing southwest for 3 day's.
Good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by rataha:
Hamms311 (09-23-2019), VickieC (03-17-2022)
Old 05-07-2003, 06:06 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, and make sure you floss each and every night before bed-time.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:08 AM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to pour in Syrup of Ipecac, stick your finger down into the gas tank, and it will puke it all back up.

The following users liked this post:
Hamms311 (09-23-2019)
Old 05-07-2003, 06:16 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
You will be ok. Just don't do it again!!!! :smile: )

Old 05-07-2003, 06:17 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've been running low octane since November - not a problem. The car adjusts to whatever gas you put in :smile: :smile: This is in writing in the training manual that does not get circulated....

Chow!

Donna

The following users liked this post:
Hamms311 (09-23-2019)
Old 05-07-2003, 06:29 AM
Schoit
1st Gear
WOW!!!
I don't think I've even seen regular in years. Then again, I haven't really looked for it. I think you will be OK this time. The problem, from what I'v eread, is that the lead in regular gas affects the rings and can cause opremature deterioration of internal mtal parts (which is most of the internal parts) of your engine. Of course the lower octain levels will affect the performance as well. Like someone said, put some octain boost in the tank. Also I would burn through half the tank then fill with the highest octain level gas I could find.

You could drain the tank, but that can get pretty messy. Full tank is 8lbs per gal roughly. It can be pretty heavy.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:38 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If I get no pinging, I'm making the switch! It seems that the computer will make the necessary adjustments and I'll save some much-needed dough on my groovy roadtrip! Tee hee!

Old 05-07-2003, 06:44 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs

>>Schoit, I think he meant REGULAR UNLEADED, not regular leaded gas...which is unavailable in the US now...isn't it? LOL!

Old 05-07-2003, 06:46 AM
Schoit
1st Gear
Im just going by what was said. Funny that I actually thought someone would be able to find and then actually use leaded gas. I guess Im just flaking out here.

Just call me "bonehead"

Old 05-07-2003, 06:52 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Regular gas which is leaded is not available any more in the US. It was replaced by various grades of unleaded gas of which the basic 87 octane is regular unleaded. No matter which grade of gasoline you pick your mini will still work but the high compression engines of the minis especially the Cooper S really will last longer and do better, perform better (noticible in the S) and get better gas mileage, run cleaner etc.

Most of the threads I have read in the past at mini2.com and at MCO agree that if possible you should be using premium gas and not regular unleaded for all minis.

I am keeping my Cooper S for at least 10 years and probably more so I am using only premium gas with each fill up although I have run my car with all grades of gas and it worked OK. My best performance and gas mileage (about 2-3 mpg better) come from premium.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:51 PM
FraserBonnett
3rd Gear
Open the gas cap, turn the car over on it's side and let the bad gas run out ...

Old 05-07-2003, 03:49 PM
edlfrey
3rd Gear
>>Hmmm, Donna! I plan to fill Wanda's tank with REGULAR UNLEADED next time, to see if there is any appreciable performance difference! If I get no pinging, I'm making the switch! It seems that the computer will make the necessary adjustments and I'll save some much-needed dough on my groovy roadtrip! Tee hee!

You will not get any pinging. You will also not get the same gas milage. The difference in mpg and the difference in price between regular and premium may even cost you money.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>
>>You will not get any pinging. You will also not get the same gas milage. The difference in mpg and the difference in price between regular and premium may even cost you money.

Interesting thought although we are getting the same mileage as everyone else seems to be :smile:

Chow!

Donna

Old 05-07-2003, 04:16 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
IT'S GOING TO EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Kidding.... how old it is? You should add some cleaner to the next fill up! Or go for a 100+ Octane to clean her out. A lower grade gas is exactly as it's called, lower grade. I use 89 in ALL my rentals! hahahah
I believe at around every 20K you should get your fuel filter checked and cleaned anyway.
GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-07-2003, 06:18 PM
CCM
4th Gear
Actually, you can get leaded gas here in the U.S. One of our local Sunoco stations has 104 and 107 octane leaded gas. It's up around $6- a gallon. The guys who drag race their older cars get fuel there. I think some of the airplanes run it too?

Old 05-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Yeah you can get both leaded and unleaded 100 plus octane racing gas near just about any dragstrip/circle track.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Just don't make a habit of it, and don't drive really hard. It'll survive. Cars are tough.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:19 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Yeah you can get both leaded and unleaded 100 plus octane racing gas near just about any dragstrip/circle track.<<

You can bet the military still uses it too, with their asbestos brakepads and all...

Borla, Moss intake, Magnecor

Old 05-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Astro
3rd Gear
>>>>
>>>>You will not get any pinging. You will also not get the same gas milage. The difference in mpg and the difference in price between regular and premium may even cost you money.
>>
>>Interesting thought although we are getting the same mileage as everyone else seems to be :smile:
>>
>>
>>Chow!
>>
>>
>>Donna

Very interesting... I still don't understand why the Mini requires high octane fuel. It makes perfect sense in the S, as it has forced induction.
Some 1.6 liter Honda engines make more peak power on 87 octane than the 1.6 liter Mini engine makes on 91...

Old 05-08-2003, 01:00 PM
CraigRasmussen
3rd Gear
You can bet the military still uses it too, with their asbestos brakepads and all...
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Welcome to the new Army, all of our tactical vehicles use a fuel called JP-8 a very refined diesel fuel. We did away with the Gas about ten years ago.

Old 05-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Trippy
Banned
>>I still don't understand why the Mini requires high octane fuel.
>>It makes perfect sense in the S, as it has forced induction.

The MINI Cooper has a higher compression engine than the MCS
and that's why it requires higher-octane gas.

The MCS requires it because of the supercharger of course.

Higher-octane gas doesn't burn nearly as well as lower-octane
gas, so you don't have to worry about it going "BANG" in the
cyinder before the sparkplug gets it going.

Old 08-05-2003, 12:49 AM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
>>You can bet the military still uses it too, with their asbestos brakepads and all...
>>__________________________________________ ___________________________________
>>
>>Welcome to the new Army, all of our tactical vehicles use a fuel called JP-8 a very refined diesel fuel. We did away with the Gas about ten years ago.
>>

Gas (mogas) has not been completely removed from the MIlitary. Some items, such as the M-2 Burner use mogas. The army is switching to 1 fuel (with the exception of the other JPs, I think jet fuel is JP-4, might be JP-5), but due to the expense of it all, a lot of units are still required to use mogas. By the way, the M-2 Burner is a leaky gas tank that gets pressurised and, via a controlled leak, set on fire. This is then used to heat and prepare food. Yes, these can be expected to leak and catch fire... anywho... I pick up my mini from the shop in the morning, some turd decided to pull a hit and run on me...if anybody cares to look...

Old 08-05-2003, 01:00 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
Drive around untill it's (almost) all gone, then fill it with premium...

Rocketboy_X

Quick Reply: Help, I mistakenly put regular gas in my Mini.