Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Dealer Programming Options--takes a whole day???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:34 AM
midorigal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Programming Options--takes a whole day???

Hi all,

It's me again. So I made a 6:30 AM appointment today to get some options programmed (DRL, chime when gas is low) and de-activated (auto unlock). I figured since I'm the first one in I should be out of there in an hour or so. Well, after an hour I was told that the "computer" was down and the technician was trying for the last 45 minutes. Anyways, I was told to bring it back but I have to drop it off for the whole day because of doing some "modules" in my car. I'm going back on Friday. I really don't know why it would take so long and how will they know the "computer" will work on Friday?

Part of me just want to give up and forget about it. I've only had the car for two days and do not want to part with it :-( The dealer did offer me a loaner for the day (so at least I can get to work) Part of me just want to get it done so I don't have to worry about this ever again.

Anyways, I know I can be a bit **** and paranoid but I noticed that my mileage was up 3 miles from when I dropped it off. Think the techs took it for a coffee run? My boyfriend thinks I may have pissed them off when I asked if the porter planned on taking his coffee into my car when he drove it off.

Great, I've had the car for 2 days and managed to **** off the service dept. already...not too slick!

Thanks for letting me rant!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:28 PM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't necessarily think the computer was down....
Maybe they had a backlog of what they think are "more important" issues (ie cash paying customers) and left your warranty work on the back burner..
I never take my car to the dealer anymore, I found a trusted independant MINI mechanic...My mechanic used to work at a dealership and told me that he was constantly "pushed" to get the cars in and out...meaning customers didn't always get everything looked over correctly...(I think this is known as the old "Well, we were unable to duplicate the problem you experienced, you'll have to bring the car back.)" How many times have we heard that....can I see hands..LOL
I say get what you want and make them fix the car, take the loaner and milk that warranty for all it's worth...do your homework here on NAM to find any issues or recalls..Just my 2 cents
Good luck..

Old 03-06-2007, 01:32 PM
SRICHS
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey... Anytime the vehicle is hooked up to the programming station in a shop, the techs are asked to program the vehicle with all the newest software for the vehicle. On your case, the correct programming for all the options that you wanted turned on or off, may not be availible right now, so the dealer is going to program each module that is effected by the changes you want, rather than allowing the computer to figure it out on its own, by only programming what modules it thinks it needs to change. I had this issue when I first picked mine up, with the curbside locking, I did not want it, and it took the dealer a couple of hours to correct it.. No problems since [yeeppee!!!]

Old 03-06-2007, 01:52 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its probably a combination of both previous posts.

No, it doesnt take all day but they will update all sw. Also, the paying work probably comes first

3 miles on the car? I would COMPLAIN. Unless they took the car for a test drive AFTER reprogramming, no need for that

Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
3 miles could be explained by a trip back and forth to an offsite washing facility, a little tooling round the dealer to get the car into position etc, etc. I never even check the mileage when I drop the car off but then most of my stuff has been for legit work which needs testing afterwards.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:21 AM
bryan1970
2nd Gear
those few options that you want programed inot your car should only take a matter of minutes,if all the computer systems are working correctly. however i have been told that the computers used to program these options often have problems connectiong to the vehicle and/or the diagnostic head that is actually plugged inot the vehicle. also SRICHS is correct, the software for the computers used at the dealer are continuously getting updated versions and soemtimes dealers don't always have the latest and greatest versions.

and i should hope that dealers wouldn't put off a simple car key memory program over cusotmer pay items. as i stated before when everything is working properly it will take longer to get the car written up pulled around and washed than it does to actually program the car.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:10 PM
ringmaster73
1st Gear
From the other side

I think you should treat your "appt" like the doctors office.
It insures you a place in line. Also if the person you scheduled with had cars held over from the previous day then you would have gotten bumped.
I was very leniant with service dept. even before I started working for one. Try to remember even though we want you to feel like it, you are not the only customer and the pressure to make money,ie cash customers, not warranty is very high. Sorry to be the bad guy

Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
MINI

yah its always sucks to wait, that i agree on, i am a very impatient person.

I hardly think you made anyone mad at the service department.
I am sure they have had to handle some major B_tches far worse then you.
so i wouldn't worry.

on a lighter note
Classic MINI in Mentor, Ohio
The actual Techs that worked on my car are great