Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help... Need Engine Advice Please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 04:05 PM
JoeS475
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my car in Nov, and after about 1100 miles the engine started sounding and feeling slightly raspy underfoot, especially at higher RPMs. I took it to my dealership where the service guy took it for a drive. He said it sounded and felt fine, and commented that the clutch had broken in very nicely. So I went away happy, convinced this was how the engine should sound and feel once broken in, and I promptly got used to it. Now I'm at 12,700 miles, and just had my first oil service today. All of a sudden the car feels and sounds amazing, just like in those first 1100 miles. I am afraid this may have put excess wear on the engine, and I really would like it to last a very long time.

1) I was assured it sounded and felt fine.

2) I've never noticed any performance problems, such as slow acceleration or engine overheating.

3) Since the oil change the car feels just like when I got it. This wouldn't bother me if that feeling hadn't gone after only 1100 miles.

4) I am possibly going to purchase an extended warranty in case problems arise.

5) I usually drive relatively calmly, shifting about 3000-4500 RPMs, except for a few occasions where I let loose and redline it, such as Deals Gap.

6) I was advised by the service guy that I could only get my oil service under warranty after the car told me to do so (aka 500 miles to oil service), and that going over that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Do you guys think the engine may have suffered more wear than usual? If so what should I do? When I asked the service guy if the engine looked ok, I didn't feel comfortable with his response, which to tell the truth, I forget exactly what he said. But he definitely didn't say "it looks really great!", or something along those lines.

Heck maybe I'm just paranoid!!!

Anyway, I'll be going back in a week or so to get a software upgrade and see Dent King, I'll bring it up again and try to see exactly what he thinks.

Thanks in advance,

~Joe

Old 05-10-2003, 09:24 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you simply have the oil changed, or did the dealer give your car a once-over and servicing that is part of the 'free scheduled maintenance'? Some people have gotten software upgrades and fixes due to TSBs and such, that might have been the case with yours.

If the engine was worn to the point of rattling, new oil would not have made much of a difference.

I say simply enjoy the brand new car deja vu!

Old 05-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You were probably a little late in changing the oil, but the fresh new oil change should keep the engine running well for a long time :smile:

I just hit 8000 miles and despite MINI's reccomendations, I consider myself a couple thousand miles late for a change, but I'm not worried that I have really harmed anything. I am going to change my oil this week. It is black and nasty and time to go!

Old 05-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
OK Joe, to add to your paranoia, when I switched to Amsoil after 1000 miles, the MINI oil that came out, while mostly clean looking, did have a metallic sheen to it. I'm guessing this was from some shavings coming off during break-in. The engine felt much smoother and freeer after putting the Amsoil in too. Realistically, the engine should be able to handle the 15k between changes as long as everything is working normal. Hell, even Amsoil says you only have to change theirs every 25k!
I think that now you've got that break-in oil out of the way, you'll be good-to-go!

Cheers, and happy Motoring, and good nutria-bacon, and crispy hexagons
Ryan

Old 05-10-2003, 09:46 PM
JoeS475
4th Gear
Thanks guys... I'm not going to spend time worrying about it, from what you all said I'm sure its just fine!!!!

~Joe

Old 05-11-2003, 03:49 PM
fms
5th Gear
Any way to find out what oil comes in the MINI from the factory??

Old 05-11-2003, 03:54 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>Any way to find out what oil comes in the MINI from the factory??

Sure, look right on the engine, mine says it on the oil cap and the intercooler cover. Castrol Syntec. I'm told its s a variety of syntec not available in the US.

--
Cheese