Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Car locked itself while running

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:41 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car locked itself while running

Went for a coffee 6am this morning, let the car run in the parking lot for 3 minutes while buying coffee, just like every other day for the past two years. Came back out and the car was locked Three hours later my spare keys arrived.

Friggin electronics! Anyone else have these gremlins in their car?

Old 03-30-2007, 10:51 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
could definitely be your drivers door lock which has the microswitch for the locks. i have seen cars open the windows and sunroof on their own due to a faulty switch. good luck!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:32 AM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always been real careful to avoid that kind of thing. I don't trust all this new age electronic stuff. Thanks to your post, I'll continue to be cautious

Old 03-30-2007, 11:35 AM
ignote
5th Gear
Originally Posted by meb
Went for a coffee 6am this morning, let the car run in the parking lot for 3 minutes while buying coffee, just like every other day for the past two years. Came back out and the car was locked Three hours later my spare keys arrived.

I guess your car decided it didn't want to be stolen.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:37 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
A few weeks ago, my Mini locked itself right as I was reaching for the door handle. Luckily it wasn't running & the keys were not inside but STILL, it was creepy
& I could have sworn I heard a little voice saying GET OUT

Old 03-30-2007, 12:49 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bamatt
A few weeks ago, my Mini locked itself right as I was reaching for the door handle. Luckily it wasn't running & the keys were not inside but STILL, it was creepy
& I could have sworn I heard a little voice saying GET OUT
How long ago had you unlocked the car when it locked itself? There's a programmable feature that will re-lock the doors after a period of time if you unlock the car but don't open any doors. I don't know if the feature is disabled or enabled by default from the factory, though.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
OK HERE IS A TIP

Should it happen again-the person WITH your spare key in thier hand, CAN hold it next to a cell phone mouthpiece, AND if you hold you cell phone next to your drivers door, while they push the unlock button, IT WILL UNLOCK YOUR CAR!! This was demonstrated to me twice in at amviv vegas, with 2 different cars and keys!! this is of course assuming their are 2 cell pnoes available in your situation!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:57 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The above advice is very much not true, and an internet rumor.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by YellowMiniS
Ditto - I'll believe it when there's at least five miles between the locked car and the remote that's being used to open it. (After all, if the unlocking signal is actually being transmitted through the phones, distance shouldn't be a factor at all.)

With the stories I've seen posted here and on the internet, the remote was still close enough to the car that the cellphone antennas could have been acting as passive radiators, extending the range of the remote signal further than it would normally work.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
With the stories I've seen posted here and on the internet, the remote was still close enough to the car that the cellphone antennas could have been acting as passive radiators, extending the range of the remote signal further than it would normally work.

that is entirely possible, BUT on the roof of the palace station parking garage, 50 yards away from my car, wher emy remote WOULD NOT unlock it the cell phone deal worked. also worked on an 06S during the same test. why or why not? I dont know-seems we need to do a further test.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:48 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by riquiscott
How long ago had you unlocked the car when it locked itself? There's a programmable feature that will re-lock the doors after a period of time if you unlock the car but don't open any doors. I don't know if the feature is disabled or enabled by default from the factory, though.
That option seemed like a bad idea to me so I had it set to NO when I picked up my Mini. At the time of my freaky self-locking incident, my keys were in the house on a flat table with nothing touching them. It was just a ghost in the machine kinda like when my headlights used to turn themselves on during for my 1st 6 months of ownership while the stalk was in the "off" position & no I don't have that follow me home option programmed either

Old 03-30-2007, 03:58 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by Central Coast Coopers
Should it happen again-the person WITH your spare key in thier hand, CAN hold it next to a cell phone mouthpiece, AND if you hold you cell phone next to your drivers door, while they push the unlock button, IT WILL UNLOCK YOUR CAR!! This was demonstrated to me twice in at amviv vegas, with 2 different cars and keys!! this is of course assuming their are 2 cell pnoes available in your situation!
Does it have to be two cell phones? How about a land line and a cell phone?

I have seen the gremlins UNLOCK my car while doing 70 mph. But only once.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:33 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is entirely possible, BUT on the roof of the palace station parking garage, 50 yards away from my car, wher emy remote WOULD NOT unlock it the cell phone deal worked. also worked on an 06S during the same test. why or why not? I dont know-seems we need to do a further test.
Urban legend ... see http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

in fact, if your on the roof, the range was probably extended.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 AM
AntiqueCarNut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by meb
Speaking from my 30+ year experience in the electronic industry, I believe that's *Friggin EUROPEAN electronics*. The Europeans have yet to figure out electronics and electrical systems, and it's not just in motor vehicles. The stuff is way too complex, and over-engineered to the point of unreliability.

This is not something new. I can show you designs for radios, electronic devices and automotive electrics dating back to the 30's where the European designs were inferior and astonishingly more complex that their American counterparts. The Japanese have electrical systems 'wired' so to speak.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
In Texas, we get a ticket for leaving our cars running, unattended.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:45 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happened to me too

02-07-2007, 06:55 PM
norm03s
6th Gear Join Date: Apr 2003
Gallery
This is weird
I’m pretty sure I didn’t lock it getting out because the stupid electric door lock stopped working awhile ago. I have to unlock it with the key and you can’t just push the door lock button down anymore.
Is this just me?
Well at least I could get back in the office to whine on here while waiting for my spare key to be delivered.
21 degrees with steady 10-15 MPH wind sucks, did I mention I hate winter.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Mr. Normal
2nd Gear
Just out of curiosity...

How much fuel does a MINI use in three hours, while at idle?

Old 04-01-2007, 08:15 AM
meb
6th Gear
using the guage as a guide, 1/4 tank...or a hair more.

The coffee shop is two miles from my house. So in winter I leave the car running so it warms up a bit before I get onto the highway. I've been doing this for two years without incident.

The keys go with me hence forth. And yes, the windows have been doing funny things; roll all the way when I lock the car, roll half way down and any combination between:impatient . These were not part of my preferences.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:49 AM
psb
3rd Gear
do you not keep the little plastic key in your wallet?

i keep the mini plastic key in my wallet just for this reason, well i never leave my car running un attended etc, but if i lock my keys in the car i have the fore mentioned little plastic one to save me!

Old 04-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
FURTHER TESTING COMPLETED

IT would appear the locks worked at the palace station via cell phone due to increaed antenna magnification through the cell phones. today I was 2 miles away at the local gorcery store, tried it again with my wife at home using the spare key-WOULD NOT DO A THING!! the really interesting thing for me is, my remotes wont unlock the car from 10 feet away, some of the weakest remotes I have ever seen, but with the cell phone at the parking garage in vegas, it did it from 150 feet away. BUT, as stated above, does not work at all if the car is far away.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:22 AM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not meaning to start anything but dude, Do not leave your car running with the keys in it.....It only takes a second for some scumbag to jump on the opportunity to steal a car...
They did this to my neighbor in front of his house, and I live in a pretty good area....He left his benz running while he ran into the house for like 2 minutes...The theives took his car for a joyride and stole his briefcase, ipod, and other stuff....Please do not do that again..

Old 04-02-2007, 07:48 AM
meb
6th Gear
HOLLY CRAP BATMAN, YES!!! How funny is that? What a moron, what a maroon - as bug bunny would say. That is the funniest realization I've ever had. I'm actually cracking up while writing this

Originally Posted by psb
i keep the mini plastic key in my wallet just for this reason, well i never leave my car running un attended etc, but if i lock my keys in the car i have the fore mentioned little plastic one to save me!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:04 AM
rc'S
5th Gear

IT would appear the locks worked at the palace station via cell phone due to increaed antenna magnification through the cell phones. today I was 2 miles away at the local gorcery store, tried it again with my wife at home using the spare key-WOULD NOT DO A THING!! the really interesting thing for me is, my remotes wont unlock the car from 10 feet away, some of the weakest remotes I have ever seen, but with the cell phone at the parking garage in vegas, it did it from 150 feet away. BUT, as stated above, does not work at all if the car is far away.
Touch the end of the key to your face and push the button. It works and will open your door a lot further than 10 ft away. It impresses your friends when they are with you and you do it.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:56 PM
coopermaniac
2nd Gear
the gremlins 'attacked' my MINI 5 or 6 times when i was driving it home for the 1st time on my pick up day. i swear i thought the queen of the gremlins liked my MINI so much she tried to scare the hella out o'me so i'l bring it back to the dealer to ask why my mini locks/unlocks itself. and just recently.. i left the car unlocked coz i just forgot something in the house and lo and behold.. tha car is locked when i came back. this only means 1 thing.... the gremlins track me down...eek:

Old 04-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
Isn't the MINI is programmed to lock itself if left unlocked for too long?

Quick Reply: Car locked itself while running