Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Groaning 2nd Gear and Other Assorted Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Philippe from Towson picked up the car tonight and dropped off the loaner (06 MCS 6 spd). On the way back to Towson, Philippe noted that half of the digital display went out on the tach. It's been added to the list.

So as it stands:

1. Flywheel noise is BAD - most likely replacement of clutch/flywheel/transmission
2. Inoperable xenon headlight washers
3. Sticky auto AC fan switch
4. Fix half of the dead LCD display on the tach
5. Remove the PDI stickers on the fender
6. Unstick secret storage compartment

Last edited by Krut; 05-08-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kurt Im so sorry to hear about your car. Looks like youre stuck with a Faux7 too. Im supposed to get mine back tomorrow, Im really keeping my fingers crossed things are ok. Keep us updated.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:07 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Trinity07
Kurt Im so sorry to hear about your car. Looks like youre stuck with a Faux7 too. Im supposed to get mine back tomorrow, Im really keeping my fingers crossed things are ok. Keep us updated.
I'm very interesting in hearing their report. If you get the chance, would you post what they tell you?

Old 05-09-2007, 03:15 AM
Krut
6th Gear
I'll keep you all posted - I know my servicing dealer is well-intentioned - I'm hoping it will be fixed soon. I'm sort of amazed at the number of complaints about the trans/clutch/flywheel - I'll be curious to the root cause.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Ok after round two of repairs the car is back and the following was found:

"Internal pressure plate failure causing some bearing noise. Replaced clutch kit assy and test drove vehicle."

They also fixed the center stack fan control, the **** was sticking, and fixed the inoperable xenon headlight washers - and the wiring was backed out of the connector.

Now I have a new issue that cropped up tonight - a crack in my sunroof seal that's making a roaring sound into my interior.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 PM
JoshRtek
1st Gear
Interesting.

I'm at just under 400 miles on the odometer. I'm not having any sounds shifting from 3rd to 2nd, but my shifts from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd sound and feel a bit rough, not the usual "snick, snick, snick" that I'm used to in every other car I've driven with a manual transmission.

I think I only noticed it AFTER I had been reading all these posts about problems people are having with their '07 MCSs' manual transmissions. So I'm slightly worried now.

The sound when shifting occurs when I depress the clutch pedal (while the car is briefly in neutral). I swear I can feel some tension in both the foot pedal and the stick-shift. The noise sounds something like a groan/winding. Does this sound familiar to anyone else, or perhaps my mind is just playing tricks on me.

I have to admit, at only under 400 miles, with drivetrain problems, I'm a bit frustrated if it ends up to be a serious problem, as I expected more from a $28,000 car. I never had any weird problems like this from my 2002 Hyundai Elantra ($11,200 brand new!!).

Anyhow, I'm not hating anything yet. I love my MCS...I'll just be very disappointed if it has to spend weeks in the shop when I haven't even owned it for two weeks yet.

Last edited by JoshRtek; 05-16-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:43 PM
mini_jaijai
1st Gear
i have my car for a week now, and i have that sound from 3rd to 2nd. the only thing is i'm in Canada. I phoned my SA. and he said no one has ever report it before. Should i still drive my car in for them try to found out what the problem is or should i just wait a bit?

Old 05-21-2007, 03:48 PM
OttoMannS
Banned
Originally Posted by mini_jaijai
i have my car for a week now, and i have that sound from 3rd to 2nd. the only thing is i'm in Canada. I phoned my SA. and he said no one has ever report it before. Should i still drive my car in for them try to found out what the problem is or should i just wait a bit?
Don't wait for your transmission to fail and leave you stranded on the side of the road. Take the car into service and let them look into the problem.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:24 AM
ejkd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by krut
Thank you all for the kind words! I believe they had the parts today and it was being taken home by the SA to road test it. I took it to Towson MINI - they're top notch - just sort of far - however, given the uneven warranty repair nature of my more local MINI Dealers - I've decided to give Towson a shot.

Philippe my service advisor has been first rate - keeping me well apraised of the ordered status of parts, when it would be completed and what he was going to do to ensure the problem was fixed. That's the first time I've honestly had an SA email me information on my car and follow up with a phone call.

***UPDATE***

My car is back in my posession. It is so much better now. Here's what's resolved:

1. Groaning and other assorted noises (noted by the SA and the Tech) all gone. A PUMA case had to be opened on the clutch/fly wheel. When they removed the transmission - they noted on my work order that the flywheel was failing. Clutch is once again smooth as silk, no crazy noises (totally silent) and no odd noises from the gearbox.

2. Headlight washers - fault caused by faulty or lack of PDI by selling dealer (TATE). When a car comes in there are fuses that are removed for the headlight washers - they need to be re-inserted in order for the washers to work with the Xenon headlamps.

3. Buckled Cooper S emblem passenger side - replaced.

4. Additional problem noted by the SA - headlights adjusted way too low - SA took the car home for an extended test drive to ensure the groaning, moaning and general griping and complaining from the transmission were banished. On his evening drive home he noted that the bi-xenon lights seemed to be dipped extremely low. On investigation - the Towson tech found the lights were adjusted 1" too low. That seems awfully excessive to me - and also a lack of PDI by the port or the selling dealer (Tate). I'l test the lights out tonight but I'm sure they'll be fine.

5. HVAC controls - part on backorder.

6. Altenator campaign work - evidently there is a maintenance campaign out there for an alternator connector - Towson also performed that campaign work.

So kudos to my SA Philippe and the team at Towson - they do first rate work and represent everything a MINI repair experience should be!!!
Glad everything sorted out. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:45 PM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
My Mini has just started to make the 'squeal" downshifting to 2nd. It seems like this is the only time it does it. I guess this is typical of the symptoms Krut and others were having. I'll be phoning the dealer for an appointment tomorrow....<sigh>

Old 05-30-2007, 07:43 PM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
The dealer is installing a new clutch as a fix, Hopefully I'll get the car back this week and update the various threads.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Krut
6th Gear
good luck.. that's five new clutches I know of so far...

Old 06-23-2007, 08:24 PM
geeza-r56s
1st Gear
Ha ha!
Thanks to this post i now can sleep!
My wife had been driving the car while i was away and she had rang me to tell me of this problem. I had contacted the dealership and told them what happened and they told me they had never heard of this problem. I told my wife to relax its brand new (2500klms) you don’t know what your talking about and then last night it happened to me. I have just spent a good part of this morning reading your forums. Now armed up with information i rang the dealership and told them that i have read this they want to see the car and for me to produce a copy of the forum so they can investigate.
Fingers crossed the car goes in tomorrow

Old 06-24-2007, 03:08 AM
Krut
6th Gear
And the noise is back.. I'm on my third clutch. I'm getting really annoyed.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:56 PM
ficcion
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
krut,

Any updates on fixing the situation?

Old 07-06-2007, 01:51 AM
geeza-r56s
1st Gear
I took the car in and thank the lord it made the nosie when someone was listerning and they told me they would ring me back about it.

Then 2 days later i got the call and they told me "on their PUMA SYSTEM it has been noted and they are to wait for further instructions as they are investigating the problem. They were told not to hold cars and don't replace any parts". Nice thats what i want to hear after i just kicked over $55k and only done 2400 klms.

I went to the dealer this morning and they told me the have 2 demo's making that once off noise.

Sit and wait .....

Old 07-06-2007, 04:50 AM
korby
6th Gear
Keep us posted,its good that they know,mine didnt make the noise for them but now its in writing.Mine has 2500 miles on it and the noise is more rare,once every couple of weeks.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
hmmm just to update. My car is making the noise(screeching noise) downshifting into 2nd gear. Now it only does it when say Downshifting from about 3000rpm up. Lower than that it doesnt do it. Car has 1156mi on it now.

seems like a clutch or pressure plate, Flywheel issue.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:52 AM
rlinbatonrouge
1st Gear
Seems like a good number of drivetrain problems appearing in the 2007's. Makes me question the durability of the rest of the vehicle. Are these trannies different from the '06 and below models?

Old 07-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Nicholi
1st Gear
Yesterday I really began noticing a "klunky" feel shifting between 1st and 2nd, different from the "snik snik" I get from 2nd to 3rd. Double clutching makes all shifts smooth. That's another one that usually points at bad synchros, right? Also, I've noticed a noise outside the car when in second, slowing down at stop signs. I'll pay more attention to that one today.

This reminds me of when my old MR2 started shifting weird, granted that had 95k miles. Dealers all told me it was the synchros and would cost a ridiculous amount of money, but I just replaced the transmission fluid myself and everything cleared up... still ran great 90k miles later. I'm not saying that's the solution, especially this early in the transmission's life, but has anyone tried running a higher grade fluid?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My new '07 began making the 3-2 squeal on a 4th of July motor in the mountains; only did it once all day but it's loud and scary.
After a brisk drive up the mountain, I parked the car at an overlook. When my wife and I came back to the car it smelled like burned plastic. Really really strong smell, inside and out.
No further issues all day though.

Then 3 days later while running errands (slow pace), I got the 3-2 squeal again 3 more times. Man, what a harsh sound.

My car's build date is 12/06 ---- it sat around for quite some time, I guess. I bought it on 6/16/07.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:35 AM
korby
6th Gear
It's very loud,if you have a passenger the sound you hear immediately after is " what was that ? " not a sound you normally hear coming from a new car.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:14 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by korby
It's very loud,if you have a passenger the sound you hear immediately after is " what was that ? " not a sound you normally hear coming from a new car.
That's exactly how it went on Wednesday.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:33 AM
korby
6th Gear
Here's how the rest of it goes.Take it in so you have it in writing,they'll act like they've never heard of this before even though the 3 cars I test drove did the same thing.Then realize you dont need to go for 2nd while cornering quickly theres enough power in 3rd to do the job,if you feel you want to go to 2nd tap gas to get RPM's up then down shift ,almost always works.Then try not to worry that your trany falls apart after warranty is up ,thats the hard part.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by korby
Here's how the rest of it goes.Take it in so you have it in writing,they'll act like they've never heard of this before ...
That's the part that rankled me; they acted surprised.
Then I found out that Trinity had recently had her car repaired for the same problem at the same dealer.
Then you see the list of other cars that have the same problem.
None of the cars that I test drove did it --- and I can't make my car do it "on command".
But when it does it, babies cry for five square miles around. Like a freakin' banshee.

The Phil Wicks School is coming up. If the dealer starts looking at my car tomorrow, it leaves them 9 week days to resolve the problems. They initially told me that they didn't have appointment times open until 7/17 ----- should I just cancel my Wicks session?

Quick Reply: Groaning 2nd Gear and Other Assorted Issues