Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Groaning 2nd Gear and Other Assorted Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:02 PM
guppy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the same problem with my car at first, the noise from going from 3rd to 2nd. my car now has 1600 miles and i dont notice the sound anymore but then again i downshift from 3rd to 2nd as much anymore. when i drive home today i will see if i still get that grinding noise when i downshift. for the xenon headlight washer, how are you supose to get it to work? havent really tried using it yet. ill try to figure that out today too.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by guppy
for the xenon headlight washer, how are you supose to get it to work? havent really tried using it yet. ill try to figure that out today too.
Turn your lights on and wash your windscreen.. it should blast your headlights with enough force to give you a shower if you're standing outside the car. :-)

Old 07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
korby
6th Gear
Just slightly under the decibels of an air horn.Warning when trying to show off your MINI on a first date ,dont down shift to second ,it might be your last date.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
guppy
2nd Gear
haha next time someone is standing near my car, im gonna try to get them wet and say "wat the i didnt know my headlights wash themselves, how cool thanks for informing me about that "

Old 07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Cooper2u
2nd Gear
I'm now experiencing this problem too with my MCS 07. New clutch being installed and car coming back to me on Thursday. I am also having the AC Temp problem coming on without touching it!

With the above mentioned I have had other issues with my dealer and service department that has been going on since Feb 07 when I purchase the car. I am completely put off now from ever buying another Mini Cooper although I absolutely love the car. My parents had a classic mini when I was growing up and I remember the car being fantastic, I hope my 07 can stand up to these expectations.

Sad cooper owner

Old 07-19-2007, 08:54 AM
mrweasel
3rd Gear
Good news is only one more tranny/cluth repair. Bad news: see previous.
http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/lemon.htm

Old 07-19-2007, 08:25 PM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
Add me to the list of fed up owners with the clutch problem.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:46 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Mine is currently at the dealer - they can't replicate the problem. They have supposedly fixed the sunroof, glovebox and the clicking from my axles.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woo-hoo!
I got my car back yesterday with a "remanufactured driveline". Warranty invoice showed $2800 worth of work...

The initial feel is wonderful. I never noticed that the transmission was notchy previously --- it is buttery-smooth by comparison now. The banshee squeal is gone so far.

I'm tracking her tomorrow with Phil Wicks at the Talladega Gran Prix. We'll see how it performs and I'll be checking the bonnet temperatures of everything around me.
R56's at the dealer (including mine) had bonnet temperatures ranging from a low of 235 to a high of 240 degrees after a run. That's the exterior of the car, on the bonnet --- that any passing child might touch while you're in the store buying a block of cheddar...

Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 PM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
My 3-2 Squeal....

I took my 07 MCS in to get fixed on July 5th with the 3-2 grind/squeal, but it only did it every 30 or 40 times, usually at above 3500 rpm. They couldn't hear it, and after fixing a couple of unrelated little things, sent me home with it. And it started right up again. Finally got back there today (car has 5600 miles on it), and insisted a mechanic ride with me. When I mentioned that some folks on NAM were having the same problem, he said, "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." Ummm.... I hear it on MY car! So after the 10th downshift or so, it DID IT! TWICE! I was never so happy to hear my new car squeal! Seriously, I was glad the mechanic heard it, and he stated immediately "that's the flywheel. We'll take care of it." They're also going to open the "not-so-secret" dash compartment while it's there. I hope time has given them the knowledge and parts to really fix it.
I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, I'm in an 05 Cooper Auto rental that feels a bit like a golf cart compared to my car.
Krut: what's the latest on yours?
+++++++++

Old 08-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Krut
6th Gear
I took it for repair attempt number 3 - tech couldn't replicate the issue (and it's still squealing like a pig) - so I have two options:

1. Attempt the secret MINI Assist Program - where the selling dealer trades in the car and then MINI contributes the difference

2. Lemon Law the car under Maryland law.

3. Attempt another repair attempt this time demanding a new transmission, clutch and flywheel.

Frankly option 1 and 2 are the only options that I have time for - MINI number 7 has been ordered and is on the ship currently - so once it arrives we'll see what options open up.

Last edited by Krut; 08-14-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:28 PM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMoMir
I took my 07 MCS in to get fixed on July 5th with the 3-2 grind/squeal, but it only did it every 30 or 40 times, usually at above 3500 rpm. They couldn't hear it, and after fixing a couple of unrelated little things, sent me home with it. And it started right up again. Finally got back there today (car has 5600 miles on it), and insisted a mechanic ride with me. When I mentioned that some folks on NAM were having the same problem, he said, "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." Ummm.... I hear it on MY car! So after the 10th downshift or so, it DID IT! TWICE! I was never so happy to hear my new car squeal! Seriously, I was glad the mechanic heard it, and he stated immediately "that's the flywheel. We'll take care of it." They're also going to open the "not-so-secret" dash compartment while it's there. I hope time has given them the knowledge and parts to really fix it.
I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, I'm in an 05 Cooper Auto rental that feels a bit like a golf cart compared to my car.
Krut: what's the latest on yours?
+++++++++
\

I hate to be a "Debbie Downer", but lots of folks have had new clutch, flywheel and trannies and the noise returns. Mines been quiet ever since they burnt the clutch, but I'm sure it will return again.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:24 PM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BritBoy
\

I hate to be a "Debbie Downer", but lots of folks have had new clutch, flywheel and trannies and the noise returns. Mines been quiet ever since they burnt the clutch, but I'm sure it will return again.
Yeah, I hear you. But at least it's one more that will perhaps get them to really look at the basic problem and really fix it for all, as in recall, if need be.
Must say, I love the car, but hate the little (and big) things that go wrong with it.
========

Old 08-15-2007, 05:44 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by krut
I took it for repair attempt number 3 - tech couldn't replicate the issue (and it's still squealing like a pig) - so I have two options:

1. Attempt the secret MINI Assist Program - where the selling dealer trades in the car and then MINI contributes the difference

2. Lemon Law the car under Maryland law.

3. Attempt another repair attempt this time demanding a new transmission, clutch and flywheel.

Frankly option 1 and 2 are the only options that I have time for - MINI number 7 has been ordered and is on the ship currently - so once it arrives we'll see what options open up.
I really really like my AT car...

Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
I currently have groaning on a 2nd clutch as well....here is the kicker though, I also have a 2nd tranny and fly wheel too! =)
I agree totally that this problem needs to be resolved soon. I only have 2600 miles on my car, and so far the problem starts to happen every 1100 miles on average. Which also translates that unless the problem is really fixed i'm going to be in the shop almost once a month......NOT COOL!!!

Last edited by Xray'dit_Mini; 08-15-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 AM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
What does it take to force a recall?

Just got a call from MINI that they are replacing my flywheel and clutch (1st time) due to the 3-2 downshift squeal, which happens every 30 to 40 times. SO.... if they're simply replacing them with new items that are also either faulty or badly designed, what will it take to get MINI to actually research and FIX the root problem? Is there a set process within MINI? Outside of MINI? Is anyone on NAM keeping track of these large problems and leading the charge on these type issues?
+++++++++++

Old 08-17-2007, 05:07 PM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
Back, and fixed.

My car stayed in the MINI shop for 3 days while they replaced the flywheel, and unlocked the "not-so-secret" compartment in the dash. The shop foreman heard the noise and determined it was the dual mass flywheel. Now it's shifting nice and quiet, but my ears are on guard! I've noticed another thread here talking specifically about the 3-2 squeal, and a "clutch-burning solution." What's the latest on that? Any news? Are we talking two different problems or attempts to fix the same one?
++++++++++++

Old 08-18-2007, 11:34 AM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMoMir
My car stayed in the MINI shop for 3 days while they replaced the flywheel, and unlocked the "not-so-secret" compartment in the dash. The shop foreman heard the noise and determined it was the dual mass flywheel. Now it's shifting nice and quiet, but my ears are on guard! I've noticed another thread here talking specifically about the 3-2 squeal, and a "clutch-burning solution." What's the latest on that? Any news? Are we talking two different problems or attempts to fix the same one?
++++++++++++
Its like Xray'dit says; First time you take the car in for the noise they replace the clutch and flywheel. About 1100 miles later the noise returns. This is what has been happening to me also. When I took the car back the second time, they did the clutch bur as a solution, which so far has worked. I posted the info from Mini USA, which said the problem was caused by glazing of the clutch-plate.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:22 PM
BentChainring
1st Gear
Unfortunatly my first posting here is to report this growling issue. I am really enjoying my mini, but this is a bit frustrating...Ill probably take it in next week....well see what they say...

Do all mini dealers offer rental cars?

nK

Old 10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
There is a service bulletin on the 3-2 squeel now. Before replacing your clutch/flywheel try this (if your dealership is too inconvenient to get to):

1. Drive on a level road in 4th gear at 40-50 mph (60-80 kmh)
2.Depress the clutch pedal

3.Rev the engine up to 5,500-6,000 rpm and maintain this engine speed.

4.Slowly release the clutch pedal, keeping the engine speed at 5,500-6,000 rpm in the process until the clutch is fully engaged. (Clutch engagement must be carried out within 3 seconds)

5.Repeat steps 1-4 at least 3 times.

6.Recheck vehicle to verify that the noise has subsided.

p.s. Don't drive like granny. That is what glazes the clutch.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
There is a service bulletin on the 3-2 squeel now. Before replacing your clutch/flywheel try this (if your dealership is too inconvenient to get to):

1. Drive on a level road in 4th gear at 40-50 mph (60-80 kmh)
2.Depress the clutch pedal

3.Rev the engine up to 5,500-6,000 rpm and maintain this engine speed.

4.Slowly release the clutch pedal, keeping the engine speed at 5,500-6,000 rpm in the process until the clutch is fully engaged. (Clutch engagement must be carried out within 3 seconds)

5.Repeat steps 1-4 at least 3 times.

6.Recheck vehicle to verify that the noise has subsided.

p.s. Don't drive like granny. That is what glazes the clutch.

Thats not a fix, it's a band-aid. The sound will return, and I certainly don't drive like a granny. I take the back way home almost every other day......over 30 exhilarating miles.
If you were to continue this "fix" it would wear out your clutch fast enough to make your head spin.
A real fix would be to figure out if were a build flaw in specific clutch and/or fly-wheel makeups. I had about 1000 miles on the first clutch, and it didnt squeal at all. My clutch, flywheel, and tranny were replaced for a seprate issue. I then put about 700 miles on the new clutch and it started sqealing like a stuck pig! I'm thinking maybe my second clutch made it by a snoozing inspector a 4:59 on a Friday.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Hi guys,

I'm so excited, driving down to my sisters yesterday, my wife and I got our first experience with the 3-2 squeal.

The windows were down, we were enjoying the ride. As we approached a traffic light I was shifting down thru the gears and as I went from third to second the Mini let loose a nice groan. My wife turned her head and asked "what the hell was that?". I laughed and said "that's the infamous 3-2 squeal", which was the first time I heard it on my Mini. I tried to get it to squeal again at subsequent traffic lights, but have not been successful.

I does exhibit the DMF knocking sound, so they are already going to be replacing that. Will the DMF replacement take care of the groan/squeal, or should I wait for the squeal to become a more regular occurrence??

Old 10-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Hi guys,

I'm so excited, driving down to my sisters yesterday, my wife and I got our first experience with the 3-2 squeal.

The windows were down, we were enjoying the ride. As we approached a traffic light I was shifting down thru the gears and as I went from third to second the Mini let loose a nice groan. My wife turned her head and asked "what the hell was that?". I laughed and said "that's the infamous 3-2 squeal", which was the first time I heard it on my Mini. I tried to get it to squeal again at subsequent traffic lights, but have not been successful.

I does exhibit the DMF knocking sound, so they are already going to be replacing that. Will the DMF replacement take care of the groan/squeal, or should I wait for the squeal to become a more regular occurrence??
Hi Jinxy

What's your mileage - do you have LSD?

Kurt

Old 10-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Hi Kurt,

No LSD. She has ~1500 miles on her.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 AM
tomah
3rd Gear
ive been experiencing a little groan going from 2nd gear to 3rd gear. burning the clutch a bit during my 1st to 2nd gear take off's. hoping it wont get worse, but it isnt too bad at the moment.

car is currently @ 400 miles, with LSD

Quick Reply: Groaning 2nd Gear and Other Assorted Issues