Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Groaning 2nd Gear and Other Assorted Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just posted under a new thread because I didn't see this one when I did a search. I'm glad that Korby sent me this link.

A couple days ago I started to hear the groan from 3rd to 2nd. I drive the hell out of my car and have been driving a stick for 23 years so it pissed me off a bit today when the dealer Tech told me it was driver induced.

Anyway, he said that they totally know about the problem and it is a "glazed clutch disc". They de-glazed it and I picked up the car tonight. So far so good but I've been very careful with my down shifting.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll keep you all informed on how long it lasts... please do the same if you have a fix!!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Chili Cart
I just posted under a new thread because I didn't see this one when I did a search. I'm glad that Korby sent me this link.

A couple days ago I started to hear the groan from 3rd to 2nd. I drive the hell out of my car and have been driving a stick for 23 years so it pissed me off a bit today when the dealer Tech told me it was driver induced.

Anyway, he said that they totally know about the problem and it is a "glazed clutch disc". They de-glazed it and I picked up the car tonight. So far so good but I've been very careful with my down shifting.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll keep you all informed on how long it lasts... please do the same if you have a fix!!

I have found that after I drove hard for about a week between home and work (about 30 miles each way with twisty roads) that the sound went away. I then started driving the freeway again and the sound came back. I then tried using the sport button every time I drove the car and the sound has left with yet to return.
I started using the sport button all the time because it feels like I slip the clutch slightly more taking off in first with it off. I think my next mod will be the "automatic sport button".

Old 11-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Xray'dit_Mini
I have found that after I drove hard for about a week between home and work (about 30 miles each way with twisty roads) that the sound went away. I then started driving the freeway again and the sound came back. I then tried using the sport button every time I drove the car and the sound has left with yet to return.
I started using the sport button all the time because it feels like I slip the clutch slightly more taking off in first with it off. I think my next mod will be the "automatic sport button".
That is a good point, I always use the sport button when I'm on the freeway or on twisty roads and have not had a problem. The problem only exists when I'm street driving with the sport button off.

I didn't realize that there was an "automatic sport button" mod. Is it okay to leave it on all the time??

Old 11-03-2007, 10:32 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I turn it on EVERY TIME I start the engine. I have not had any problems.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
That is a good point, I always use the sport button when I'm on the freeway or on twisty roads and have not had a problem. The problem only exists when I'm street driving with the sport button off.

I didn't realize that there was an "automatic sport button" mod. Is it okay to leave it on all the time??
Yeah....just check the mods elec. forum. It's like $30 worth of parts and about 1 hour of your time.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Xray'dit_Mini
Yeah....just check the mods elec. forum. It's like $30 worth of parts and about 1 hour of your time.
I'll check it out. Thanks!!

Old 06-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
It's back. It started about 2 weeks ago. It is intermittent but every time it happens.... I want to scream.

I've been using the sport button full-time and I avoid down-shifting from 3rd to 2nd to slow the engine to a stop, now I just brake. Of course I have to down-shift into a turn!!

I haven't had time to take her to the Dealer. Does anyone have any news on the 3rd to 2nd groan and Dealer fixes??

Old 06-10-2008, 06:37 PM
23cavsfan
1st Gear
I have an 08 MCS with the problem. I'm taking it in tomorrow for service. I'll post my experiences.
It's back. It started about 2 weeks ago. It is intermittent but every time it happens.... I want to scream.

I've been using the sport button full-time and I avoid down-shifting from 3rd to 2nd to slow the engine to a stop, now I just brake. Of course I have to down-shift into a turn!!

I haven't had time to take her to the Dealer. Does anyone have any news on the 3rd to 2nd groan and Dealer fixes??

Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
I'm sorry to hear that. It would be really good to hear the outcome. Good luck!

Originally Posted by 23cavsfan
I have an 08 MCS with the problem. I'm taking it in tomorrow for service. I'll post my experiences.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 AM
korby
6th Gear

It's just a glazed rotor , dont worry just drive it .

Old 06-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
My replacement R56 does it as well. I've come to the conclusion it's normal.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
korby
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Krut
My replacement R56 does it as well. I've come to the conclusion it's normal.
Have you tried dropping (burning)the clutch to deglaze it ?

Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Have not .. it seems like my cautious city driving have lead to it being glazed. I think this clutch seems to like to be abused. I drove Helix's early 07 build and it has none of the crazy glazing noises like my two did.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 AM
korby
6th Gear
Go ahead and drop it at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue tell the secret service korby said it's ok if they give you problems .

Old 06-12-2008, 05:21 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
Clutch Cost and Warranty

Well, after 22,000 miles, it's seems that my clutch has died!!

I've been driving a stick since day 1 over 20 years ago and never experienced this problem.
Tho I live in San Francisco, I use my 07MCS 80% outside of the city and mostly on hwy.

Here is the problem, in 4th, 5th & 6th gear, when I give some serious gas, the engine revs up but the car doesn't speed up... yeap, the clutch is slipping.
The clutch pedal is getting stiffer and stiffer and getting into 1st gear is becoming harder and harder.

So I scheduled an appointment and the dealer told me that under 30K miles, it's not covered by the warranty and there is nothing they can do because Corporate won't allow them to replace it!
A new clutch is $1,753 ($313 for the parts and $1,440 in labor)

The dealer suggests that I carefully drive another 7K and then the warranty would kick in!!

Honestly, I am very disappointed since I don't see why a modern clutch shouldn't do at LEAST 100K.
I know it's not driver induced (been racing a few seasons on Clio Cup with a Williams) and I also know a clutch should last longer...

I am def. gonna give MINI HQ a call and write them a letter to remind them of the CA Lemon Law.

Hopefully, they'll allow my local dealer to replace the clutch under warranty before I reach the 30K mark ah!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Unbelievable.. start by filing a formal complaint on 1-866-ASK-MINI - then follow up with a formal email to Sal Talerico - PM me for his e-mail address.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:22 PM
23cavsfan
1st Gear
Well so far through 1100 miles, my 3-2 problem has been somewhat intermitant. Of course when I took it in to dealer yesterday, it wasn't doing it. Today, the sound was back again. At this point, they've documented my complaint, and now I'll just wait for it to get better or worse. I also had a check engine light come on (unrelated to the 3-2 problem). They told me that the oil dip stick was loose and not insterted all the way! I haven't checked oil since I've had it, so they must have left it loose when they received and prepped the car.

If the clutch eventually goes, they'll have record that I complained after just 1100 miles.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:25 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
Unbelievable.. start by filing a formal complaint on 1-866-ASK-MINI - then follow up with a formal email to Sal Talerico - PM me for his e-mail address.
I talked to Cust. Service and it seems that there isn't a "formal" policy regarding the clutch replacement. The 30,000 miles number is a number they use as guideline...
They told me that actually, a clutch replacement is never covered under warranty unless there is a defect!?!
And I do believe that the in my case, it is a serious defect!!
Now I have to be patient as they are gonna reach my dealer and see what can be done but I suspect they'll just cover their *** by saying I have to wait 'til the 30K mark.

In the meantime, I'm gonna write a formal complaint to Sal, as you suggested.
This is really frustrating!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Good luck! Keep us posted!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Who is Sal Talerico?

Old 06-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Krut
6th Gear
VP of Customer Service

Old 06-18-2008, 04:51 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
Just heard back from Cust. Service and after checking with my local dealer, it seems that Corporate has nothing to do with this "policy".
They basically lied to my face!! Quite infuriating and outrageous...

It is totally arbitrary and MINI SF decide whether or not to replace a clutch based on assumptions of driver's induced causes!
Totally unacceptable!!

Last edited by xof711; 06-18-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Krut
6th Gear
I would check with another dealer.. some are so slammed they don't want to do a clutch replacement - they'll need the car for about two days. You should have quite a few dealers out in the Bay area.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:24 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
I would check with another dealer.. some are so slammed they don't want to do a clutch replacement - they'll need the car for about two days. You should have quite a few dealers out in the Bay area.
Maybe I should but I don't feel like I should be treated any different from any other owner because of where I live and based on assumptions of driver's induced causes!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:50 AM
xof711
2nd Gear
Still haven't heard from Sal and the clutch finally died yesterday...
Can't move anymore ah!

So I think I am gonna write my local News team, the infamous ABC "7 On Your Side" with Michael Finney and see if they'd be interested in running a story on that!

By the way, the AAA tow-truck that came never heard anything like this before!

Last edited by xof711; 06-21-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Groaning 2nd Gear and Other Assorted Issues