Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Groaning 2nd Gear and Other Assorted Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:45 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to this thread, seems like clutch is covered under warranty!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 PM
ImolaMini
1st Gear
I seem to have this problem in my April 08 build, downshifting from 3rd to 2nd sometimes makes a metallic hum, not really a grinding sound. Shifts are still smooth though, car has 1100 miles.

Last edited by ImolaMini; 06-28-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:04 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
MINI USA offers to take care of 1/2 the costs ... which now have reached $3,600 because on top of changing the clutch, they also need to replace the flywheel!!

Still not accepting this offer!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xof711
MINI USA offers to take care of 1/2 the costs ... which now have reached $3,600 because on top of changing the clutch, they also need to replace the flywheel!!

Still not accepting this offer!
Warranty is warranty, why do they not cover full cost?

Old 07-05-2008, 05:40 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
Warranty is warranty, why do they not cover full cost?
My point exactly! They say they accept to pay 1/2 the costs because of the fuss I've made with MINI USA ah!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:06 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
That is scary!
Lot of people have had their clutch and flywheel replaced under warranty. I guess it depends on the nature of complaint. If its worn out clutch, they might try to take this easy way out (they shouldn't!).

Had you gone in with the complaint of 3-2 groan, replacement would have been free.

I seem to one of the lucky ones who has the 3-2 groan. My patience is running thin with the build quality of the car. I know there are only few people with this problem ( May be lot of people don't know. I don't drive hard. I accidentally shifted from 3 to 2 with more than 2000 rpms and found the noise. With the radio on, I would have missed it). But in all honesty I cannot recommend this car to my family or friends. Not yet

Any way, is there any update on this apart from
1) Replacing clutch/flywheel which doesn't seem to work
2) Burning the clutch. (Well if they do that they better pay for the clutch later under warranty)

Old 07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
xof711
2nd Gear

The final decision on my clutch problem is 50/50... It wasn't a defective part

Here are the pics they based their decision on and tho... Since I first notified them at 17,000 miles (I have a copy of the doc) and they basically dismissed it I am wondering if what they are seeing right now is the results of a chain of problems caused by the defective clutch and not the real problem...

I'm no mechanics so any take on that one??????

P.S. FYI these are high resolution

Last edited by xof711; 07-08-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:47 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
OK I just got back from Mini of Towson. I was able to reproduce the problem. He said there have been only 3 other cases which they have seen like this. He said they have tried to replace transmission, clutch & flywheel, deglazing the clutch etc. but the problem comes back.

The issue is they didn't open a ticket and they want me to complaint to MiniUSA and get a complaint no. He said Mini is NOT considering this a problem, its just the way it is and that perhaps the transmission is not designed to downshift in higher rpms for 2nd gear (sounds bull).

Has anyone had their transmission replaced but have the problem come back?

PS: What is the phone # for MiniUSA to file a complaint? Is it 1 866 ASK MINI ?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
update:

I talked to Mini USA and they said the dealer should have at least taken the car in and tried to fix it. I told him the solution they were offering like deglazing it is not acceptable since they know its not going to work and this would affect the long term durability of the clutch. He documented my complaint and is going to talk to the dealership to see if they can open a ticket on it.

Another thing - I did ask him about the clutch being covered. It is covered under the maintenance plan but the decision to cover it or not depends on the dealership. If they feel that your car has been abused and driven hard, then they will probably not cover it.

But if they feel that the car condition is normal for the time frame and clutch is unusually worn out or falling apart then it will be covered.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
xof711
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chandler_vt
update:

I talked to Mini USA and they said the dealer should have at least taken the car in and tried to fix it. I told him the solution they were offering like deglazing it is not acceptable since they know its not going to work and this would affect the long term durability of the clutch. He documented my complaint and is going to talk to the dealership to see if they can open a ticket on it.

Another thing - I did ask him about the clutch being covered. It is covered under the maintenance plan but the decision to cover it or not depends on the dealership. If they feel that your car has been abused and driven hard, then they will probably not cover it.

But if they feel that the car condition is normal for the time frame and clutch is unusually worn out or falling apart then it will be covered.
It's def. on a case by case but if just like my problem, they dismiss it and if you wait too long to fix the problem, it may lead to more serious problems which will mask the original problem...

Old 07-11-2008, 07:33 PM
aem421
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chandler_vt
OK I just got back from Mini of Towson. I was able to reproduce the problem. He said there have been only 3 other cases which they have seen like this. He said they have tried to replace transmission, clutch & flywheel, deglazing the clutch etc. but the problem comes back.

The issue is they didn't open a ticket and they want me to complaint to MiniUSA and get a complaint no. He said Mini is NOT considering this a problem, its just the way it is and that perhaps the transmission is not designed to downshift in higher rpms for 2nd gear (sounds bull).

Has anyone had their transmission replaced but have the problem come back?

PS: What is the phone # for MiniUSA to file a complaint? Is it 1 866 ASK MINI ?
chandler, who'd you talk to at Towson? I was just in there on July 3rd and I had to take the mechanic out for a spin to let him hear the noise. He said he couldn't recreate it, so I did it for him. I have heard this noise at higher rpm's and lower rpm's. Sometimes I don't hear it at all. I've been driving clutch cars for over 25 years. I've never heard this type of noise. This car is really starting to bug me

Old 07-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Rafa
1st Gear

The final decision on my clutch problem is 50/50... It wasn't a defective part

Here are the pics they based their decision on and tho... Since I first notified them at 17,000 miles (I have a copy of the doc) and they basically dismissed it I am wondering if what they are seeing right now is the results of a chain of problems caused by the defective clutch and not the real problem...

I'm no mechanics so any take on that one??????

P.S. FYI these are high resolution
That looks like the pressure plate was not biting the disc correctly (not enough pressure). I have seen a few issues that can result in the disc getting burned, they range from a throw-out bearing that does not release all pressure from the plate (like riding the clutch) which can stick (drag) the disc on one side thus the grind. Another reason is improper disc thickness in relation to the pressure plate/flywheel. Do you have any info (pics) on the throw-out bearing? Also, this happened on another car I had, if the gear shifter was not adjusted correctly, it will grind (but doesn't look like your case, your clutch is fubar )

Old 07-12-2008, 05:02 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rafa
That looks like the pressure plate was not biting the disc correctly (not enough pressure). I have seen a few issues that can result in the disc getting burned, they range from a throw-out bearing that does not release all pressure from the plate (like riding the clutch) which can stick (drag) the disc on one side thus the grind. Another reason is improper disc thickness in relation to the pressure plate/flywheel. Do you have any info (pics) on the throw-out bearing? Also, this happened on another car I had, if the gear shifter was not adjusted correctly, it will grind (but doesn't look like your case, your clutch is fubar )
Thanks man!

I've contacted a lawyer and I'll make sure to forward your comments...

Old 07-14-2008, 10:58 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
chandler, who'd you talk to at Towson? I was just in there on July 3rd and I had to take the mechanic out for a spin to let him hear the noise. He said he couldn't recreate it, so I did it for him. I have heard this noise at higher rpm's and lower rpm's. Sometimes I don't hear it at all. I've been driving clutch cars for over 25 years. I've never heard this type of noise. This car is really starting to bug me
I scheduled appointment through Dwayne and the Service Manager (can't remember his name - african american with beard) came for a ride with me. I was able to replicate the noise without fail (3 times no less). He acknowledged that the noise is there.

The problem is (according to him) Mini is not acknowledging it as a problem so he doesn't have a fix for it. MiniUSA rep called them up and he left a weird message on my phone but I haven't been able to call him back. Everytime I call it goes to Voicemail. I left a message too but no call back.

So there are two options
1) This is just how its supposed to be. According to him may be the gear is not designed to be downshifted to at higher rpms. Sounds stupid but I tend to agree with him. I have never had the problem at rpms less than 2000.

2) This is a problem but no one knows any solution or the long term ramifications.

This car is really starting to bug me
That makes it two of us.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:21 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
OK. I did receive a call from MiniUSA (After failing to return my calls for 4 days). The CR talked to Dwayne at Mini of Towson and they had closed the ticket with the remark - "Noise heard was not outside of normal functioning of the car" - in other words there is nothing wrong with it.

I told him this is a complete lie because the Service Manager who drove with me acknowledged that the noise is due to clutch getting glazed. The only thing I will give it to them is that he said Mini thinks this is not a problem and has no fix for it. So Mini thinks that way but the dealer knows this is not normal . Also they gave me option of deglazing it - if it is normal why would they give me that option ? So the rep told me he would convince the dealer to take the car in and have a mini engineer look at it.

I told him I m selling my car (I have done so already) so you don't have to take the trouble. I told him I would be interested in hearing the dealer response if he still wants to pursue it. The rep said no problem and he would give me a call back.

aem421

Whats the update on your car?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:29 AM
aem421
4th Gear
chandler,
I got the receipt back from MINIUSA saying they got my letter. Now, I'll probably call them to see what they want to do. The car is still leaking oil or some fluid. I have cardboard underneath it right now for proof.

I must say though, I haven't heard the 3rd to 2nd noise lately. But, then again, that's the least of my problems right now.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
Good luck! I do hope they give you a new one or at the very least everything gets fixed for you .

Old 07-19-2008, 05:57 AM
Rafa
1st Gear
and about the oil leak....

Originally Posted by aem421
chandler,
I got the receipt back from MINIUSA saying they got my letter. Now, I'll probably call them to see what they want to do. The car is still leaking oil or some fluid. I have cardboard underneath it right now for proof.

I must say though, I haven't heard the 3rd to 2nd noise lately. But, then again, that's the least of my problems right now.
Where is the leak coming from?(where does it drip) and what oil is it (motor, tranny)?
any pic would help.

--R

Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
I still hear a groaning noise when in neutral when the car is cold... this is pissing me off!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
so wait.. they replaced your trans?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I wonder if this sound is the same sound that's heard in 1st gear while initially letting out the clutch to accelerate in a cold engine? The best way to describe the sound is a buzzing metallic sound that goes away once the clutch is fully engaged or you let out the gas. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=97373

Old 07-26-2008, 05:16 PM
aem421
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rafa
Where is the leak coming from?(where does it drip) and what oil is it (motor, tranny)?
any pic would help.

--R
Here ya go...

Old 09-18-2008, 11:33 AM
xof711
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Krut
so wait.. they replaced your trans?
They replaced the clutch and the fly wheel! And I still hear a clinking noise

You can hear it here from inside the car, then outside > http://www.xof711.com/dump/clutch2.mov
You'll notice the noise stops at the end, that when I press the clutch pedal...

Here, outside only > http://www.xof711.com/dump/clutch1.mov

What to do?!?!

Last edited by xof711; 09-18-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:16 PM
NZ_M3
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They replaced the clutch and the fly wheel! And I still hear a clinking noise

You can hear it here from inside the car, then outside > http://www.xof711.com/dump/clutch2.mov
You'll notice the noise stops at the end, that when I press the clutch pedal...

Here, outside only > http://www.xof711.com/dump/clutch1.mov

What to do?!?!

I have that exact noise in my car (3000km on the clock) - the noise first appeared around 2000km ... It is loudest when the car is very hot and goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed.

I also initially thought it was coming from the gearbox side (release bearing related or dual mass flywheel related) - the car was sent to BMW New Zealand for diagnostic ...

There's a SIB (Service Information Bulletin) for the Dual Mass Flywheel (I've seen it and read it, basically it says if the noise is a humming sound then it is normal).

NOW ... there's also nother SIB - interestingly this one describes the noise exactly and also notes that it goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed - the SIB notes that it's a faulty alternator bearing and auto-belt tensioner bearing. There's 3 parts that needs to be replaced, Alternator, tensioner and something else I've forgotten.

It is a funny one actually because the noise is on the complete opposite side of the engine that you would think is causing it.

The way to test it is to place a long extension (or screw driver) on the alternator and listen with your ear on the other end and you will hear the rumbling and clacking sound from the faulty tensioner bearing. If you do the same on the gearbox side (near the clutch or anywhere on the gearbox in fact) you won't hear the clacking noise.

I am still waiting on my parts to arrive, but I've tested the noise numerous times now and it's definitely coming from the tensioner bearing (it's really loud and unmistakable).

There's an official SIB for this problem, so just get your dealer to bring it up.

p.s. I've worked on numerous cars in the past (even auto to manual conversions) so I am fairly mechanically inclined, and the SIB that I've read on the tensioner bearing noise does describe that noise exactly and the sound locating test more or less backs up the SIB.

pss ... as to why this only happens to some cars and not other .. well there's apparently 2 brands of alternator and tensioner used for this motor - one made by Bosch, one made by Valeo ... seems it's the Valeo ones that are failing ...

Last edited by NZ_M3; 09-18-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:18 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NZ_M3
I have that exact noise in my car (3000km on the clock) - the noise first appeared around 2000km ... It is loudest when the car is very hot and goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed.

I also initially thought it was coming from the gearbox side (release bearing related or dual mass flywheel related) - the car was sent to BMW New Zealand for diagnostic ...

There's a SIB (Service Information Bulletin) for the Dual Mass Flywheel (I've seen it and read it, basically it says if the noise is a humming sound then it is normal).

NOW ... there's also nother SIB - interestingly this one describes the noise exactly and also notes that it goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed - the SIB notes that it's a faulty alternator bearing and auto-belt tensioner bearing. There's 3 parts that needs to be replaced, Alternator, tensioner and something else I've forgotten.

It is a funny one actually because the noise is on the complete opposite side of the engine that you would think is causing it.

The way to test it is to place a long extension (or screw driver) on the alternator and listen with your ear on the other end and you will hear the rumbling and clacking sound from the faulty tensioner bearing. If you do the same on the gearbox side (near the clutch or anywhere on the gearbox in fact) you won't hear the clacking noise.

I am still waiting on my parts to arrive, but I've tested the noise numerous times now and it's definitely coming from the tensioner bearing (it's really loud and unmistakable).

There's an official SIB for this problem, so just get your dealer to bring it up.

p.s. I've worked on numerous cars in the past (even auto to manual conversions) so I am fairly mechanically inclined, and the SIB that I've read on the tensioner bearing noise does describe that noise exactly and the sound locating test more or less backs up the SIB.

pss ... as to why this only happens to some cars and not other .. well there's apparently 2 brands of alternator and tensioner used for this motor - one made by Bosch, one made by Valeo ... seems it's the Valeo ones that are failing ...
Thanks for the heads up man!!

They replaced the clutch + flywheel kit less than two months ago and I'm back to square one!

Now, what are the consequences of this problem? Can this cause the clutch/flywheel to fail??