Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Groaning 2nd Gear and Other Assorted Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:17 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Groaning 2nd Gear and Other Assorted Issues

While I'm still having a good time with my car a couple of build quality issues have given me pause and will have to be addressed before I head to the Dragon.

Most Serious:

1. Drivetrain noise from 3rd to 2nd gear shift. Almost sounds like a groaning definitely from the tranny. Not sure what's causing it and not sure I want to know - just want it fixed or at least assurance it's not going to crap out and leave me stranded somewhere.

Less Serious Issues:

1. Passenger Door Sill Cooper S emblem buckled and not applied correctly. Has now popped off the door sill.

2. Xenon headlight washers - not functional at all when lights are on. Not sure if it's a programming issue or something else.

3. Stone chip and ding - my issue - something bounced up off the highway and attacked the paint and left a signficant ding and scratch.

4. Paint durability - since MINI switched to their new paint method I'm not so sure it's as durable - I was wrangling a 40 lb bag of dog food out of the hatch and it somehow slid along the bumper (but not even that hard) I've now got a three inch scuff on my rear bumper.

5. Forgot to add the sticking fan control for the auto temperature controls.

I'd be curious to find out how other new R56 owners are faring - I'm 1,300 miles in.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:08 AM
korby
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
krut -Tapping the gas when downshifting 3rd to 2nd to get rpms up got rid of the groaning sound mine was making.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Just a bit odd.. I'm on my sixth MINI and my 26th manual transmission car - and I've never had this behavior happen with a car so new. And yes I'm a very proficient manual transmission driver thankyouverymuch. :-)

Old 03-31-2007, 10:38 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me goign into second gear after first... the stick kinda grinds a bit it feels like its rough.. Not sure if you get this feeling as well but ddint want to start a new thread..

Its feels like I'm taking my stick and scratch asphault with it, yet I have the clutch full pressed.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Im roughly 3000 miles in and so far so good. I had condensation in my front drivers side fog light which the dealer replaced right away. Otherwise, things are going well. I hope your issues get ironed out soon so you can come to MOTD.

Amy

Old 04-01-2007, 08:39 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PezRadar
Me goign into second gear after first... the stick kinda grinds a bit it feels like its rough.. Not sure if you get this feeling as well but ddint want to start a new thread..

Its feels like I'm taking my stick and scratch asphault with it, yet I have the clutch full pressed.
I thought I had this, but I don't, after hearing more people talk about it. This has been talked about on MINI2.

What I get sometimes from 1 to 2 is sometimes a somewhat notchy-sounding shift, but it's not strong enough for me to be concerned.

What I've heard described sounds more like a synchro problem.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Oh god - I had to stumble across this R56 gearbox thread on MINI2 - sounds EXACTLY what's happening to my car. Time to call the dealer before the Dragon....

Old 04-04-2007, 06:33 AM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Interesting thread, admittedly mine can be quite notchy feeling at times but thankfully I am not getting any noises associated with it.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Took mine into the dealer (the most capable Towson) - they definitely agree there is an issue - just not sure what it is.. could be flywheel, clutch, throw-out bearing. So they are putting a PUMA request in to get the situation resolved as well trying to rectify the headlight washers.

Also the washers for the Xenons are completely dead - it's got the dealer stumped - so a PUMA request is going in for that problem also.

The door sill is fixed - evidently a common problem for the bulging sill.

Sticky HVAC controls require a completely new unit. Ouch!

Old 04-07-2007, 09:02 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
Hmm,
My HVAC control sticks too. Is there a solution other than putting in a new unit? That's alot of dashboard stuff.

Do you have the secret compartment above the passenger side bolster? I don't and just asked Towson if it can be retrofitted... would be a nice place to stash the NUVI!

My gearbox has been great so far.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Originally Posted by z3bum
Hmm,
My HVAC control sticks too. Is there a solution other than putting in a new unit? That's alot of dashboard stuff.

Do you have the secret compartment above the passenger side bolster? I don't and just asked Towson if it can be retrofitted... would be a nice place to stash the NUVI!

My gearbox has been great so far.
I'll admit that's a lot of dashboard stuff.. I hope nothing else gets messed up when they replace it.

I do have the secret compartment - however it's bolted shut. :-(

Old 04-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Update!

My car is still in the shop at Towson but they discovered the following:

1. Headlamp washers - the fuses were never re-inserted at PDI. Re-insert fuses washing away now.
2. Fan switch - whole auto ac cluster needed to fix problem - part ordered with other parts needed for #3.
3. Groaning 3rd to 2nd gear shifting - turns out I need a new clutch AND flywheel. That's not encouraging on the durability of the trans - but it could be that I just got a bum trans out of the box.

So the good news is Phillip my SA has ordred all the parts and he's optimistic that I should be back on the road by the weekend.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:09 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Good luck with the repairs, Krut.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rhawth99
Good luck with the repairs, Krut.
Thanks - where in Central Jersey are you? I lived in Bridgewater for a year and worked at J&J at Corporate in New Brunswick and also at Ortho Clinical Diagnostics on two desktop/laptop migration projects.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Glad to hear they will have you back on the road soon!

Old 04-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
Actually Krut, your transmission hopefully will be without problems. As you probably know, the clutch and flywheel are not integral to the tranny.

Best of luck on your repairs. Total bummer for an owner experience.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Thank you all for the kind words! I believe they had the parts today and it was being taken home by the SA to road test it. I took it to Towson MINI - they're top notch - just sort of far - however, given the uneven warranty repair nature of my more local MINI Dealers - I've decided to give Towson a shot.

Philippe my service advisor has been first rate - keeping me well apraised of the ordered status of parts, when it would be completed and what he was going to do to ensure the problem was fixed. That's the first time I've honestly had an SA email me information on my car and follow up with a phone call.

***UPDATE***

My car is back in my posession. It is so much better now. Here's what's resolved:

1. Groaning and other assorted noises (noted by the SA and the Tech) all gone. A PUMA case had to be opened on the clutch/fly wheel. When they removed the transmission - they noted on my work order that the flywheel was failing. Clutch is once again smooth as silk, no crazy noises (totally silent) and no odd noises from the gearbox.

2. Headlight washers - fault caused by faulty or lack of PDI by selling dealer (TATE). When a car comes in there are fuses that are removed for the headlight washers - they need to be re-inserted in order for the washers to work with the Xenon headlamps.

3. Buckled Cooper S emblem passenger side - replaced.

4. Additional problem noted by the SA - headlights adjusted way too low - SA took the car home for an extended test drive to ensure the groaning, moaning and general griping and complaining from the transmission were banished. On his evening drive home he noted that the bi-xenon lights seemed to be dipped extremely low. On investigation - the Towson tech found the lights were adjusted 1" too low. That seems awfully excessive to me - and also a lack of PDI by the port or the selling dealer (Tate). I'l test the lights out tonight but I'm sure they'll be fine.

5. HVAC controls - part on backorder.

6. Altenator campaign work - evidently there is a maintenance campaign out there for an alternator connector - Towson also performed that campaign work.

So kudos to my SA Philippe and the team at Towson - they do first rate work and represent everything a MINI repair experience should be!!!

Last edited by Krut; 04-13-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Krut
6th Gear
<bmp>

Old 04-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Glad to hear that they got everything worked out for you! Im sure youre happy to have your car back. Does this mean youre going to MOTD now?

Old 04-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Trinity07
Does this mean youre going to MOTD now?
Heck yeah! I'm looking forward to getting down there! I haven't had many days off since last summer.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:46 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Glad they got everything fixed. We live in Jackson, just a few miles from Great Adventure.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Sigh... car is going back in - 3rd to 2nd gear groaning is back as well as the inoperable xenon headlight washers......

Old 05-08-2007, 04:59 AM
minimaniac85
1st Gear
keep your head up!!! ill get it handled!

Old 05-08-2007, 05:16 AM
MiniC
2nd Gear
Last Saturday my R56 started making the same 3-2 noise. I contacted my SA and his response was:

"The shift condition is flywheel related. We have heard of a few other incidents and currently have a 2007 S in for review. Awaiting feedback from the manufacture. Currently is not a safety issue or one that MINI has a path for correction. I will let you know on that matter."

Not a response that instills confidence, but at least an honest one. My MCS goes in on the 14th for other issues as well. I'll post whatever information I can. I'd appreciate if you would also continue to keep everyone informed. My build date was week 6 or 7. If that means anything.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:29 AM
pmustang
4th Gear
I don't know, 3rd to 2nd gear noise is normally syncros. and if blipping the throttle takes care of the problem I doubly think it is the syncros. The snycros help regulate the speed between the gears when downshifting, The 3-2 downshift usually shows syncro wear first.

Just my obseration but my specialty is classic minis so I might be sticking my nose into a whole new ballgame.

Best of luck. Peter

Quick Reply: Groaning 2nd Gear and Other Assorted Issues