Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

repairing runflat tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:45 PM
ivan11
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
repairing runflat tires

have had my mcs for three months. yesterday the tire monitor light went on and i found a nail in my tire . i had got a nail in a tire on my last mc and the dealer said they can not be fixed. yesterday i called around to several tire dealers and one of them namely Direct Tire of Peabody,ma. said they could patch it. they did a great job and it cost me $60.00 and not $300.00 . they said that if it was a hi-performance tire on a porsche and it was raced a lot they probably would not attempt but for relatively normal driving they have had much success in repairing them on bmws and mercedes,etc. has anyone else had one fixed? sometimes i think the dealers say they can not be fixed so they can sell you a new tite.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:04 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you wanna buy my old set of s-lites with pirellis let me know . i'm in north attleboro .

Old 04-01-2007, 02:07 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ivan11
have had my mcs for three months. yesterday the tire monitor light went on and i found a nail in my tire . i had got a nail in a tire on my last mc and the dealer said they can not be fixed. yesterday i called around to several tire dealers and one of them namely Direct Tire of Peabody,ma. said they could patch it. they did a great job and it cost me $60.00 and not $300.00 . they said that if it was a hi-performance tire on a porsche and it was raced a lot they probably would not attempt but for relatively normal driving they have had much success in repairing them on bmws and mercedes,etc. has anyone else had one fixed? sometimes i think the dealers say they can not be fixed so they can sell you a new tite.
See http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f...q_faq_puncture
yes, RFs can be patched if the hole is in a certain area of the tire.

The tire dealer is also correct on Porsche. The manual says to replace the tire.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
I have had two punctures on my MCS since I've owned it.

Puncture #1 I ran over up a staple. Two holes. I took the car to NTB, they dismounted the tire, installed the patch on the inside as it should be.....and the tire was slack when I got home. Next day, I returned to NTB and they had damaged the bead of the tire during the mounting/dismounting process. They immediately ordered me a free tire. Problem SOLVED!

Puncture #2 For a birhtday surprise, I got a free nail! I also got an immdeiate loss of air in my tire as a bonus. I drove airless for about 4 miles from the drivers license renewal station to the local good ol' boy tire store, and in 20 seconds for only $2 he installed an old fashioned "plug" without even taking the wheel off the car. I knew this wasn't the proper way to fix the tire, but I had to get home and take a relative to a Dr. appointment. That plug held perfectly until the tire was worn out! I expected to have to purchase a new tire within a few days, but it held just fine.

Since then, I bought a spare set of matching white S-Lites and I keep a Pirelli runflat aired up and ready to go in my shop. Around here, it takes 3 or 4 days to get a replacement runflat tire...

When I get a 335, I'll get a spare for it and keep it in my shop as well. It sucks not to have a spare....

Rawhyde

Old 04-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I caught a big staple and a nail at the same time.

Took the wheel off and took it to Matlock Tire in Knoxville, TN. I always take the wheels and tires in separately.

They demounted, patched, remounted and rebalanced it for $12.00. Been just dandy since. They tell me they patch runflats all the time.

YD

Old 04-02-2007, 07:36 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I've had a buncha tires plugged over the years, including one of the RFs on my MINI. Never have I had a problem with any of them. Any competent garage, who won't push the 'you gotta get a new tire' panic button, can do it without removing the tire from the rim for about $5 - $10.

Zip

Old 04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
edit

Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
200-OK
4th Gear
I had my runflat patched at the dealer. They were very clear that they couldn't guarantee that it would hold up. But the SA said he didn't want to charge me the $350 unless the plug didn't hold...

Of course, I would not have bought the tire there, but I'm still glad they were looking out for my interests!