Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stuck Brake-> Heat + Smell! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:38 PM
YY_MINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck Brake-> Heat + Smell! Help!

Hi everyone,
I got a break issue that I found last night.
My 2003 MC’s right rear brake is stuck (I think). Let me explain:
Right rear brake gets extremely hot and has awful rubber smell. My garage was full of this smell after MC parked in for about 30 minutes. I tested drive it after car was cool (30 degree today cools car off fast). My rear right wheel is very very hot when I came back from 5 miles ride. I could even feel the heat couple inches from the wheel, and the other 3 wheels are just cool.
Visual inspection didn’t give me any result, there aren’t any unusual brake dusts, pad is still thick, brake fluid is full, and I couldn’t stand the awful smell.
What’s the issue here guys? Bad pads and rotors? Bad rear caliper?

I am officially 5 days out of my warranty with 40K on my MC! What’s the bill I am looking at here? Should I rise my voice with MA and try to make them take care the bill? I am thinking I should try somewhere else for this brake job. Should I just go find a local CarX for my brake job?

Any suggestion would be big help!

Thanks guys & girls!

Old 04-04-2007, 11:11 PM
mylittlemini
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey sorry to hear whats going on and sux about the timing.

from what your it sounds like seems that the caliper is stuck and causing the pads to ride the rotor. theres a few things that could be causing this to happen. you would need to remove the wheel and cliper to find out for sure. if you take it in to the dealer and they wont give you any "good-will" sevice then is could get pretty expensive. Id look around or find someone that could do the work to save some money. if the pads are burnt or glazed youll need to replace them and if the rotors have turned blue or have any heat spots they will need replacing also.

hope it all works out for ya

Old 04-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Yep, sounds like the caliper is stuck. Sounds like you've got cold weather, so you (or a shop) may be able to just break it loose, if you haven't cooked the pad and rotor.
If you don't know cars, any decent shop should be able to tell if the caliper is frozen (aka needs to be rebuilt) or just stuck and can be broken free. If the shop is unfamiliar with BMWs, they should know that the rear piston must be turned as it is compressed. There is a special tool for this, but it can also be done without that tool.

Another possibility is that there is an issue with the parking brake cable that is causing the issue on only one side.