Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Need Double-Pull Disable Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:58 PM
DarrenO'sideCA
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Double-Pull Disable Instructions

Please be gentle if this is a repeat but I couldn't find a clear answer when I searched

Went to the dealer today to get my 5k oil change and a few minor annoyances taken care of. When I asked the MA to reprogram the car to eliminate the double pull, she told me that my only two options are to eliminate the auto-lock at eight mph or to have the doors unlock when I remove the key from the ignition. This, according to her, would disable the need for the double pull. Well, the car already unlocks when I remove the key so I had them eliminate the autolock. As I left the dealer, I manually locked the doors with the toggle. Once I got home (always check the work before leaving the dealer) I noticed that I had to still double pull the handle to unlock and open the door. I was really "bummed" and I called the MA to complain. She repeated that there was NO WAY to eliminate the need to double pull when the doors are locked.

Sooooo, what I need is to know is can I have the autolock feature activate at eight mph AND have the ability to single pull to unlock and open the door at the same time?

Any help will be appreciated. Maybe the specific instructions that I need to give the MA? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The short answer: No.
The 'double pull' is simple. The first pull unlocks the door (you can watch the lock **** come up), the second pull opens it.
If you've locked the doors (automatically or manually) you must unlock the doors (with one pull, or by flipping the lock toggle up) before they will open with one pull. The 'unlock on engine off' should take care of the issue, unless you're letting someone out without having turned the engine off.
Sorry there's no satisfactory answer for you...

Old 04-04-2007, 11:55 PM
DarrenO'sideCA
2nd Gear
Argh! Now I've got no autolock and still have the dreaded double pull. Oh well. I guess I'll have the autolock reprogrammed on my next visit since I do like that feature. I just hate when people try to rip off the door handle when getting out. Thanks Eric.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:05 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but there is a programmable option to auto-unlock the doors when the engine is turned off (key still in the ignition). This is different from unlock when pulling out the key. It won't help when you are letting out passengers with the engine running, but when you are parking, most people will wait for the engine to go off before reaching for the door handle.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:04 AM
mozzarella
Banned
I had the dealer program the unlock when the key is removed, no double pull, I still have the lock at 8 mph. Not sure what it is about the double pull but I didn't like having to do it.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:06 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Being the control freak that I am, I opted to have the autolock AND the autounlock disabled. Never have the double-pull issue unless I have manually locked the doors (rarely).

The double-pull used to really annoy me, but I've found that the handle 'feels' differently when the doors are locked - which prompts me to pull the handle again. It has become second nature.

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but maybe you just need to get used to it or disable the autolock.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:19 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
This really should be a study on evolution

Old 04-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The double-pull when locked is a mechanical operation built into the door lock itself. To eliminate it would require a modification of the door lock assemblies themselves.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:03 AM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
The double-pull when locked is a mechanical operation built into the door lock itself. To eliminate it would require a modification of the door lock assemblies themselves.
Then people would be upset when the door doesn't open and they then have to reach over to the central locking switch unlock the the door (like the old days), then pull the handle once more to open it. That's why there's double pull to begin with, to eliminate that third action.

Not having the doors auto lock is the best way to avoid double pull if it is that much of a hassle.