Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My MCS is leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007 | 08:46 PM
preppy325
|
1st Gear
My MCS is leaking!

Hey guys,

I recently changed the oil this weekend in the MCS. Later on when I drove home, I noticed that my Mini was leaking Coolant. Here is a pic of the hose that's dripping some coolant. Does anyone know what this hose is for or any possible reasons why it's dripping? This hose is a little behind the engine i
believe. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails My MCS is leaking!-minicoolant.bmp  
Old 04-08-2007 | 08:56 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by preppy325
Hey guys,

I recently changed the oil this weekend in the MCS. Later on when I drove home, I noticed that my Mini was leaking Coolant. Here is a pic of the hose that's dripping some coolant. Does anyone know what this hose is for or any possible reasons why it's dripping? This hose is a little behind the engine i
believe. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Looks like the AC condensation drain. It should only be water, though.

Steve

Old 04-08-2007 | 09:24 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Steve's right. Looks like the A/C drain. Any time you drive with the A/C on, that hose will drip water. The more humid it is where you live, the more it'll drip. Here in Florida, they tend to act like garden hoses.

Old 04-09-2007 | 07:50 AM
preppy325
|
1st Gear
It seems like there is coolant though dripping from that. If I remember correctly, when I saw it, there was an orangeish liquid dripping from it. I can double check, but I'm trying to find out why the Mini keeps sucking up all the coolant. There must be a leak somewhere...Any other ideas on why the Mini would have the coolant at max one day, and then hours later at min?

Originally Posted by BillTheCat
Steve's right. Looks like the A/C drain. Any time you drive with the A/C on, that hose will drip water. The more humid it is where you live, the more it'll drip. Here in Florida, they tend to act like garden hoses.

Old 04-09-2007 | 07:52 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
The MINI coolant (from the dealer, factory, wherever) is green, not orange.

mb

Old 04-09-2007 | 08:03 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
There must be a leak somewhere...Any other ideas on why the Mini would have the coolant at max one day, and then hours later at min?
Many of us have had the plastic coolant bottle split at the horizontal seam in the middle of the bottle.

Look behind your bottle and see if there is white powdery stuff on the heat shield beneath it.

That is what explained my loss of coolant a few years ago.

Old 04-09-2007 | 09:49 AM
preppy325
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Many of us have had the plastic coolant bottle split at the horizontal seam in the middle of the bottle.

Look behind your bottle and see if there is white powdery stuff on the heat shield beneath it.

I'll check it out tonight. Weird though, the guy I got it from said he just replaced the resevoir around 10k miles ago...

Old 04-09-2007 | 09:50 AM
preppy325
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mbcoops
The MINI coolant (from the dealer, factory, wherever) is green, not orange.

mb
I got a Havoline comparable one from a local auto parts store. I made sure with Mini that this would be ok.

Old 04-09-2007 | 10:22 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
I got a Havoline comparable one from a local auto parts store. I made sure with Mini that this would be ok.
The Havoline is orange so I guess you are correct that it is leaking. I don't think it's from that drain in the picture, though. It's probably just running down the back of the heatshields and dripping off the hose. Check the coolant connections connected to the tank, the tank and the cap. The caps leak if they are not really tight and some just leak.

Steve

Old 04-09-2007 | 12:02 PM
resmini
6th Gear
It seems like there is coolant though dripping from that. If I remember correctly, when I saw it, there was an orangeish liquid dripping from it. I can double check, but I'm trying to find out why the Mini keeps sucking up all the coolant. There must be a leak somewhere...Any other ideas on why the Mini would have the coolant at max one day, and then hours later at min?
Don't forget that when you check it cold the level will be lower than when you check it hot.

Have you been needing to add coolant?

When I got my MC the hose at the bottom of the overflow tank was leaking, tightened the hose clamp, problem fixed.

Old 04-09-2007 | 07:13 PM
preppy325
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
Don't forget that when you check it cold the level will be lower than when you check it hot.

When I got my MC the hose at the bottom of the overflow tank was leaking, tightened the hose clamp, problem fixed.
Well, I observed it today and I let it sit overnight and i didn't notice any leading on the ground. The resevoir tank is still where i left it yesterday, but the service engine soon light came on. Does anyone know how to pull the error code from the computer?

Old 04-16-2007 | 07:51 AM
preppy325
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by resmini

How come it's when the engine is cold it will be lower? I thought that when it is cool it is higher than when it's actually hot....Can you explain why the level is lower when cool vs hot?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2007 | 09:43 AM
preppy325
|
1st Gear
How come it's when the engine is cold it will be lower? I thought that when it is cool it is higher than when it's actually hot....Can you explain why the level is lower when cool vs hot?

Thanks!
I've been motoring it for the past 2 weeks and everything looks good. I think it was just low and when I changed the oil, I should have topped off the coolant....I just saved 208 bucks at least for diagnostic call.

Old 04-20-2007 | 11:00 AM
MiNi_MaC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol

How did you fix this probles? just changing the tank? for another OEM? i have this problem

Old 04-20-2007 | 11:32 AM
preppy325
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiNi_MaC
How did you fix this probles? just changing the tank? for another OEM? i have this problem
is yours still under warranty? I wouldn't recommend getting the oem one. i think for some extra bucks there is a more reliable one. although that's all i've heard and haven't seen....

Old 04-20-2007 | 12:27 PM
MiNi_MaC
4th Gear
is yours still under warranty? I wouldn't recommend getting the oem one. i think for some extra bucks there is a more reliable one. although that's all i've heard and haven't seen....
No it is not anymore. thanks!!