Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Cabrio front braces on non-cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 AM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are the Cabrio Bars installed, Not as pretty as a bolt in job,

I was able to drill a hole right on edge of weld on all four bars, and plug welded the weld to the flange and to car, Function over bling!?
More photos in galleries

Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
If it was not a DIY, I would have hated to see the bill!!
It did turn out pretty good looking.
Now I have to figure out if I am going to paint mine to match, or leave it black! Any opinions?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leave 'em black! The sleeper look never hurt anyone...

Old 10-27-2009, 01:50 AM
heyitzsushiboi
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 08/03 mcs doesn't have the holes or plugs... do you suggest i just weld them onto the frame and avoid the self-tapping screw method?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 AM
gaffer
3rd Gear
I left mine black. Did this some time ago; it's a great alternative for the Cooper with the battery box in the way for a conventional bar. Cheap too!

Attached Thumbnails Cabrio front braces on non-cabrio?-p1010022.jpg  
Old 10-27-2009, 10:11 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Here is finished photo and clean,

I would not use self taping, as they would work loose, The huge 1/4 steel rivits like GM uses for window regulators maybe,

I hate! doing things over and my OCD keeps me from not doing it the hard way!

Also noticed Less dash noise,With H sport camberplates, koni yellow shocks one click down from full stiff, and Runflats Coni tires at 45psi

Last edited by dhabutcher; 10-27-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Added info, Dorkish mis spelling
Old 10-28-2009, 08:29 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
They blend in when they are silver, we offer them powdercoated red and blue.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
heyitzsushiboi
4th Gear
someone please help? my 08/03 build mcs doesn't have the holes so is welding ok? i dont want to hassle with the nutserts.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
I would weld, i figured i took 3 to 4 hours but that was at home with a really slow pace, You could take to a body shop get a estimate of them doing it for you

Old 10-29-2009, 09:44 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just came across this thread recently and unless something drastic has changed this was always a two beer job at MOST. I did this when the first cabs came out more or less to prove to some of the " experts " on here that a non cab owner could obtain them easily. The rumor was that if you didn't have a proper VIN number blah blah blah you couldn't get them . Well as we all know this was BS.
My install process went as follows:

Open beer .
Jack up left side of car .
Remove wheel
Remove wheel liner
Position Brace
Drill holes where necessary
Find some bolts laying around that are about the proper size and just long enough, add locktight and tighten.
Replace fender liner
Replace wheel

Open second beer
Repeat as above on right side
Go for a drive
've put over 65,00 miles on the car since then with no issues.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Name:  KK2T0333a.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  KK2T0320a.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  171.6 KB

Old 10-29-2009, 11:08 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was pleased to discover that a previous owner had kindly installed them in my '05 R53....

Originally Posted by OldRick
If you take a close look at the engine bay of a MINI, it will quickly become apparent that all of the parts that make the car go and stop are attached to a pair of “fork-lift prongs” that stick a couple of feet forward from the cabin, and which are not particularly well supported.

The forces acting on these two lower sub-frame members include:
- engine torque; the more power, the more stress,
- impact forces through the lower suspension mounts from every bump you hit, with heavier wheels amplifying the stresses that hit frame,
- weight transfer, as when the car dives under hard braking, or rolls to the outside in a corner,
- gyroscopic vertical twisting forces generated when you try to turn with all those rapidly-rotating parts that have their axis laterally across the car.

So these sheet-metal structures are supposed to resist all of these strong stresses, and ideally, remain rigid enough that the driver can’t tell that the car is twisting and bending like crazy, under rapidly-changing dynamic loads from all directions. Fat chance.

It is my belief that the diagonal braces function mostly in compression, and that since they triangulate the lower sub-frame out in front of most of the loads that are applied to it, they go a long way toward resisting twisting forces, motion toward center, and vertical fore-and-aft flexing of the sub-frame. The effects I mention would all support that this is the case.
This seems like a great write-up, but could someone please summarize (ignorant newbie that I am) in layman's terms how the cabrio braces actually work?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Bigshot
6th Gear
They are only effective against resonance (vibrations) eminating from the front of the car. They offer no additional support to aid in the handling of the car. They were adopted as a way to help eliminate the dash rattle on the cabrio's. This from an automotive engineer friend of mine that looked very closely at these braces and their location.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:58 PM
gaffer
3rd Gear
The dealer couldn't fix my intermittent dash rattle and the cabrio braces didn't either, so don't think that adding these will fix anything like that. My mirror still vibrates too.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:17 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dhabutcher
Interesting read.

I just got a set so i thought i would add my $0.02

Coming from a back ground of 20 years of auto body experience ICAR and ASE master certified, I have spent most my life on a frame rack
When you have a car tied to a 2000 pound slab of steel with 4 tons of pulling power you can move things where ever you want, But also with the chain pulled tight, and the added weight of myself ( 180 lbs ) you can watch the gaps in the pinch welds open and close, Think of corning forces? Ever open a car door with the car on a jack?, There is a lot of flex, I have noticed, if i would add 3 to 5 more spot welds ( big pinch type spot welder that car makers use) It will actually stiff in the rail, door jamb, hinge pillar what ever you want to put 3 to 5 more seconds into, Most slicing using a extra backing plate, so just one more layer of same Gauge sheet metal makes a huge difference,
So any thing to add strength and durability and for the questions about added weight, These are super light your floor mats weigh more

Hoping the weekend,
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
dhabutcher

Good points, and all true.

I think it's funny about the floor mats weight more, cause MINI floor mats are just crazy heavy.

Originally Posted by Bigshot
They are only effective against resonance (vibrations) eminating from the front of the car. They offer no additional support to aid in the handling of the car. They were adopted as a way to help eliminate the dash rattle on the cabrio's. This from an automotive engineer friend of mine that looked very closely at these braces and their location.
The final quote could be true.....but this part of the has been proven to flex under stress....look at what strut braces will do for a MINI, and the simple fact that if there is resonance, there is by definition some movement/flex. By bracing the strut tower in an additional direction, you might not make a huge difference, but it sure can't hurt. Sometimes parts are found to do more than they were meant to do...and I think this is one of them. It might not be like night or day....but a tiny improvement for the tiny weight penality, and the low price....it is hard not to consider it a good deal IMO. If it makes the dash more resistant to rattles....great.....if it tightens up the front end on a washboad road----Great!! Sometimes tiny improvements are huge!! This part is certainly no "Silver bullet", but it is tried, tested, and fairly common.

I really do put a lot of weight on the first two quotes, it simply makes too much sense...we see and hear our cars creak or rattle, and see gaps open and tighten....anything to stiffen things up...especially around the strut-tower area is a huge plus.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:20 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TimL
I was pleased to discover that a previous owner had kindly installed them in my '05 R53....

This seems like a great write-up, but could someone please summarize (ignorant newbie that I am) in layman's terms how the cabrio braces actually work?
They just stiffen things up a bit.....same idea as a strut-tower brace....just in a different area and direction.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Quick test,

Go find your kids swing set, take out the tiny bar connecting the 2 legs together, Ok jump on and swing, swing hard,
Notice anything? Regardless how small the bar is, Its the sum of the parts,
The small brace we ALSO creates a Triangle from the tower to the frame rail,
Take a look at a Ducati frame sum of a lot small tubes

Great photos MAXMINI,

Old 10-29-2009, 10:27 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
We can all have our opinions and our " experts " . Mine was a local guy and a long time race car chassis builder who also happened to design the BMP strut tower brace which I think was one of the nicest for a long time . When i complimented him on it he said there was one thing he wished he could have done and that was to add down tubes to the frame rails , almost in the same spot as the lower mounting point of the cab brace, to his tower bar. He said there was no easy way to do it and that the cost would have pushed them out of the market price point so he did not pursue it . When the braces became available I remembered our conversation and that added to my reason to undergo the project. The bottom line is it is a very inexpensive item and a simple back yard install so why not ?

Randy
M7 tuning

Old 10-30-2009, 01:05 AM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
BMP Strut Tower Brace is a very nice item, i love the look of that kinda brace, I once saw a sparco brace on a site, they had one listed for mini but the pic was a typical photo, looked great for the civic but no one had a actual photo of mini part

The body shop i worked at the owner races IMCA dirt track, we always had extra tubing left over from building his cars, I was going to build my own............i had wanted to do something as metioned, cross brace with legs down to frame would had looked trick,
but never finding a whole lot of time i gave up took quick way out.

Now i am looking to get the rear behind the seats, and a under car

Not sure how many drive there cars in cold cold weather, here in Wyoming it can go from 65 to -30 in day, i reacall first iced over day backed the coop out of the drive and heard the roof creak and crack, thought the sunroof was going to give out, ( i did the h sport camber plates and brace, and cabrio bars all in a 3 week period ) i have noticed that the creaking and poping up in my drive way is a Whole lot less

Old 10-30-2009, 02:16 AM
jasmith001
1st Gear
So, for all of you who have installed the convertible braces, I gotta ask: how'd you get the bottom-most bolt in?

I installed the braces on my MINI tonight. Pretty straightforward, overall, though I did need to move some of the wires on the driver's side.

Except when it came to the bottom-most bolt/screw. For the life of me, I couldn't get in there with either my impact driver or a torx screwdriver to get it seated all the way. Right now, I've got three tightened screws on each brace, and one where the screw needs about five more cranks to be seated.

I just couldn't get the clearance I needed to get in there because of the wheel arch. I don't need to remove those, do I?

Advice?

Old 10-30-2009, 04:05 AM
The-Only-One
2nd Gear
The bottom bolts seem to be PITA, you're right

Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It has been a while since I did mine, but if memory serves me right, I removed the plastic inner fender.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 AM
gaffer
3rd Gear
It's been a while: I think once I got the bolt started, I used a torx bit in a small socket, or maybe it was in a boxed end wrench. The fender liner will flex some. It's a real pain, but it is doable without taking the liner out.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:39 AM
jasmith001
1st Gear
Well, I decided to remove the fender liners today. Nice day without rain in Seattle, new jack stands, free time...all the ingredients for a good few hours of work.

Alas, once I got the fender liners off and had a clear shot at the bolts, I discovered that the torx heads are successfully stripped.

ARGH!

So, anyone have any advice on how to get them off so I can replace them with new bolts? Those buggers are in there...

Old 10-31-2009, 11:51 AM
bean
5th Gear
Those bolts have a pretty big head on them. With the inner fender liner off, you can probably get to it with vise-grips. Another option, if you have a dremel tool, is to cut a slot in the head and use a screwdriver. Don't let it beat you at this point.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:54 AM
minilites
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
try using some valve grinding compound on the tip of the torx insert the
increased fiction should work to remove the bolt , unless the bolt is totally
shot.good luck

Quick Reply: Suspension Cabrio front braces on non-cabrio?