Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Coilover options

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:44 PM
YseanY
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilover options

i just purchased my first R56 mini yesterday! the only thing i don't like about it is the 4x4 look. what are my options for coilovers? i've searched the forums and did not find many options, is this true due to the new-ness of the car? or is there somewhere i should look? Thanks!

Old 05-21-2007, 05:52 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several options as most kits for the R53 will fit the new car, but you'll have to cut the stock rear lower control arm bushings or get a new aftermarket bushing to mount the rears.

I do have a couple of the M7 coilover kits in stock. I've installed several of them, and they have worked great. Also very affordable.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YseanY
i just purchased my first R56 mini yesterday! the only thing i don't like about it is the 4x4 look. what are my options for coilovers? i've searched the forums and did not find many options, is this true due to the new-ness of the car? or is there somewhere i should look? Thanks!

I have Bilstiens PSS9s myself but I have driven a car with the M7s and as far as the ride I think I like them better..... I have a few friends with them and they like them as well

Old 05-21-2007, 06:35 PM
YseanY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
There are several options as most kits for the R53 will fit the new car, but you'll have to cut the stock rear lower control arm bushings or get a new aftermarket bushing to mount the rears.

I do have a couple of the M7 coilover kits in stock. I've installed several of them, and they have worked great. Also very affordable.
do the m7's fit without modification? are they specifically made for r56?

Old 05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
YseanY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
I have Bilstiens PSS9s myself but I have driven a car with the M7s and as far as the ride I think I like them better..... I have a few friends with them and they like them as well
how is the performance of the PSS9 vs the M7?

and is PSS9 made specifically for the R56? or is modification needed?

Old 05-21-2007, 06:55 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The coilovers either M7 or PSS9's both fit without modification. The only thing different is that rear bushing on the rear control arms.

I use the PSS9's on the Race car and I have to agree that the M7's are a much better Street setup. I like my PSS9's but for daily use the M7's seem to have a better match for spring rate.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
The coilovers either M7 or PSS9's both fit without modification. The only thing different is that rear bushing on the rear control arms.

I use the PSS9's on the Race car and I have to agree that the M7's are a much better Street setup. I like my PSS9's but for daily use the M7's seem to have a better match for spring rate.
I talked to Bilstien about changing springs
and they really have no info.....

Old 05-21-2007, 07:51 PM
TWON
4th Gear
Have you by any chance had an opportunity to try a car with the CROSS coilovers, if so what are your personal thoughts on the ride difference on the street compared to the M7's?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:58 PM
koogzah
Banned
What about the Konis? I have heard good things about them.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:54 PM
YseanY
2nd Gear

i would assume the PSS9s will give better handling considering you use it on race cars?

i've had experience with the PSS9s on BMWs and they seem to be the best street setup for BMWs as they are on the softer side compared to other competitions. but i guess on mini's they work differently.

anyone other options? is kw v2 available for our cars?

Old 05-22-2007, 06:48 AM
koogzah
Banned
Old 05-22-2007, 07:50 AM
YseanY
2nd Gear
is there anything that uses linear springs rather than progressive?

Old 05-22-2007, 11:51 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I thought I would add this...... I have had three different aftermarket setups and riden in several others.... I would get a ride in a car that has what you want before you buy... they are very different

I will say that the M7 seemed very controlled on the street sorry no track time to report

Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by koogzah
Konis @ $995:
http://www.cardinimotorsport.com/ind...47&product=298
Any opinions on these?
I like to think I've been watching this stuff closely. No one has mentioned R56 + koni yet. Be careful that this is a compatible and tested solution.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:49 PM
koogzah
Banned
Originally Posted by karlInSanDiego
I like to think I've been watching this stuff closely. No one has mentioned R56 + koni yet. Be careful that this is a compatible and tested solution.
Yes. Be very, very careful.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 AM
ygblat
4th Gear
I got the JIC/CROSS coilovers...many great reviews in Porsche/BMW applications, optimized for R56, custom spring rates and shock valving, built-in camber plates and rear end-links and many MANY more goodies. Check it:

http://cross-na.com/ViewProduct1.asp...1&CarMakeID=17

Considering all the stuff the setup comes with, it's actually an amazing value as well, especially since my friend has a very good relationship with the owners of JIC-Magic, and was able to get me an amazing price!

Last edited by ygblat; 05-23-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:56 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ygblat
I got the JIC/CROSS coilovers...many great reviews in Porsche/BMW applications, optimized for R56, custom spring rates and shock valving, built-in camber plates and rear end-links and many MANY more goodies. Check it:

http://cross-na.com/ViewProduct1.asp...1&CarMakeID=17

Considering all the stuff the setup comes with, it's actually an amazing value as well, especially since my friend has a very good relationship with the owners of JIC-Magic, and was able to get me an amazing price!
List: $2380
Current promotional price: $2100

Old 05-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
We know your pricing Don, no need to spread it all over the place.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:06 AM
koogzah
Banned
Originally Posted by dmh
List: $2380
Current promotional price: $2100
I hear DMH has them on sale for $2100. Oh no... I just quoted his price without permission.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:23 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by karlInSanDiego

OutMotoring/Koni Coilovers: Tested and Proven. No BS. Developed closely with Truechoice Koni Racing Services.

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...coilovers.html

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 AM
dmh
Former Vendor

No, no, no no. Actually, these were developed with my input with Phil at TrueChoice last year. I've got all the documents and photos to prove it. I guess that didn't make press release though.

The program was dropped for two reasons. Price: for $1400 plus the cost of good camber plates (not IE cheapies) there are simply better choices available. For an additional $200 you get much more adjustability and better materials with CROSS. Integrity: TC wanted me to send them Leda dampers to copy. And that just doesn't fit my business plan.

But it sure does others...

>>>It’s interesting to see my work showing up again and again with no mention of credit anywhere. The cheaply made imitations include MTH software piracy, Stahl header copies made out of the wrong material, and cylinder head copies with inexpensive SuperTech valves and springs. The end user will eventually find out that they will not perform as well as the original. All you have to do is follow the money in racing.

Last edited by dmh; 06-24-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:57 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
In reply to your very rude email to our OutMotoring inbox, I have replied to it here so all others can follow:

ORIGNAL EMAIL TO US:

"Your understanding of what went into working with Phil at TrueChoice and the resulting coilovers you now market is of interest to me. See, it was me who did the original work with Phil. Did he forget to mention that to you? How about the money and time I spend on this very project. Are you even aware of any of this or are you ignorant of this?
From my experience the aftermarket MINI business is corrupt -- pirated software, stolen designs, and junk -- a lot of junk. The entire thing makes me ill.

Don Hollingshead

MY REPLY:

"HI Don, thanks for your concern. I just spoke to Phil regarding your part project and this set of coilovers and the set we have been marketing. He said that your shock bodies are NOT the same that we use (in fact the set you worked on with them have not been used on any other projects (yet they commonly modify shock bodies for many clients). Also, he noted that in the end your money was refunded when they were unable to satisfy your particular needs.

However, it is quite shocking that you claim to have developed these when in fact the original coilovers that Truechoice had been markeing do NOT use the same spring rates that I personally tested and specified and are not springs that Truechoice has access to (nor has used in the past) so I have them shipped in from a different manufacturer.

Furthermore, the shock body we use is the same shock body that KONI has been marketing for the MINI for 4 years now and is not modified so it is shocking that you claim to have invested your time and money into when it was done many years ago.

So, yes I guess I am 'ignorant' of ALL the work you have done and that I stole your work. That is complete BS. Your reputation precedes you and I would appreciate that you clarify your specs before picking a fight.

best"

Last edited by OutMotoring; 06-25-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:38 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
My issue is with TrueChoice and not Aaron as he was never made aware of what transpired before him -- he was ignorant. I'm not waiting on the developmental refund for the hours spent working with the Koni Yellows.
Interestingly, I hold documents that would implicate more than a few NAM vendors and posters. Go figure -- the one with the truth is the one held out to dry.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Thank you Don for correcting your statements.

As a side note, ignorance implies a lack of understanding, education or otherwise negative passive action. In this case I would prefer to not be considered ignorant (even as a matter of speech).

Here is a quick review:

We are NOT using shocks or springs even close to what was partially developed/specified with DMH and Truechoice.

Phil (from Truechoice) operates a very professional business (in my opinion) and he chose to keep his work with DMH confidential and as such I was not made aware of previous projects, which reflect his strong business ethics which is why I chose to work with them.

I was only made aware of it this morning when I contacted Phil to discuss the comments received via email from Don, which as noted above have been corrected.

Thank you Don.

As anyone who has done business with us or knows someone who does business with us/me they will hopefully know that we run a top notch business with strong ethics.

My reputation is not for sale.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 AM
T18DRYVER
2nd Gear
civil bickering? how cool. I still wanna lower my MCs an inch with adjustable coil overs. Are we ever gonna see a price below $1000 for a decent setup?

Quick Reply: Suspension Coilover options