Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension just installed my H&R coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:49 PM
guppy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just installed my H&R coilovers

hey guys i just installed my H&R coilovers, i had some slight problems but thanks to adam from alta i had it all figured out. the pictures are on the lowest setting on both the front and rear.

i notice that the suspension doesnt handle that well on the onramps over SS. but it does handle better lower speed corners like around 30-40mph.

the lowest setting is too low for my preferance i think. it will probably handle better once i rise the back end a bit. i like how the front is. current there is a gap between the front tires and the fender while the rear is tucked in. i want to get the rear to have a bigger gap than the fronts.

also i hear some noise from the front when i make slight turns. sounds like viabrations

the endlinks are pencil thick.. i think i have to replace those

any suggestions

Attached Thumbnails just installed my H&R coilovers-p1000859_1024x576.jpg   just installed my H&R coilovers-p1000861_1024x576.jpg  
Old 09-18-2007, 04:22 PM
guppy
2nd Gear
so i just read another fourm about the height of the car and something about for best handling, probably not any lower than an inch from stock height. would you guys think this is true? i was planning to rise the rear up to have an inch gap. is that enough?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:20 PM
masterd78
MANIAC
It looks sweet though!! I love the tucked look. I probably would raise it just a bit! But once again it looks SCHWEET!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:36 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd raise it to make it the equivalent to having it lowered about 1" from stock ride height.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 AM
guppy
2nd Gear
can anyone tell me wat stock height is, i have pictures of my car stock but i never measured it

Old 09-19-2007, 05:40 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
alta endlinks rule! When the car is sitting take a look at the lower control arm angle. You want it a bit lower than parrallel, if you have htem parallel or above when loaded the car will probably handle like crap. The other thing is you MAY be on the bumpstops, and the alta endlinks will help from having te swaybar too preloaded. basically a checklist of stuff you should check to get the handling perfect.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:14 AM
benfica09
3rd Gear
Nice work. Car looks hot slammed....but like you said, I'm sure the handling is suffering a little.

Lowering that much really alters the geometry of the suspension...I was basically just going to reiterate what a96bimmer said.

Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
alta endlinks rule! When the car is sitting take a look at the lower control arm angle. You want it a bit lower than parrallel, if you have htem parallel or above when loaded the car will probably handle like crap. The other thing is you MAY be on the bumpstops, and the alta endlinks will help from having te swaybar too preloaded. basically a checklist of stuff you should check to get the handling perfect.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Astro S
2nd Gear
I'm seriously considering H&R Coilovers myself. Did you replace the rear swaybar? My plan is to do the coilovers and the rear swaybar.

I was planning to only go about 1" down from stock ride height. Definitely want to hear how your's handles at that height.

Looks good

Old 09-19-2007, 08:17 AM
JDR
3rd Gear
Your car is still pretty high up off the ground for that being the lowest setting. What size wheels are those? 17"?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 AM
guppy
2nd Gear
yeh they are 17 inch rims and im on stock ss sway bar. okay ill rise the car up and check the lower control arm for the angle. im planning to change the endlinks first thing and maybe the control arms.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JDR
Your car is still pretty high up off the ground for that being the lowest setting. What size wheels are those? 17"?
They're web spoke MINI wheels. Yes they're 17". Any size wheel will be the same overall diameter though.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:21 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by guppy
can anyone tell me wat stock height is, i have pictures of my car stock but i never measured it
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...02#post1731602

Not much to work with...

Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 AM
JBgotM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by guppy
so i just read another fourm about the height of the car and something about for best handling, probably not any lower than an inch from stock height. would you guys think this is true? i was planning to rise the rear up to have an inch gap. is that enough?
I will paste what I said in the other thread when you asked the same question (a little while back)....

Originally Posted by JBgotM
This might not be a popular answer.....

Well, Mini designed their suspension geometry to work best around the stock ride height. Of course, they made consessions for comfort making the suspension fairly soft and no aggressive camber.

My personal opinion for a typical street car would be don't go more than an about inch down. Camber and toe curves change, bump steer can come into effect, etc. Slight lower, stiffen it up, and get a little camber to help.

People see racecars slammed but don't take into account that they have altered their geometry to compensate with modified ball joints, steering rack spacers, etc.

I haven't lowered my Mini (running in stock class for auto-x), but have coilovers on my M Roadster. I have a very mild drop compared to most people running those coilovers. People are usually surprised that even with my stiff rates, it can be fairly comfortable to drive while having lots of grip.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:06 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
gup: I know you had a couple of concerns when we spoke the other day on the phone. Did you get the rear fixed and assembled correctly now? That will make a WORLD of difference when it is correct. Car looks sweet though that dumped in the photos. Thank you again for your business. Let me know if I can ever help in the future!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:37 PM
guppy
2nd Gear
yeah adam you were a big help its all good now, just going to rise it a bit and maybe change the endlinks

Old 09-25-2007, 01:39 PM
JDR
3rd Gear

Not to thread jack, but how does a 15" wheel have the same diameter as a 17" wheel?

Originally Posted by jascooper
They're web spoke MINI wheels. Yes they're 17". Any size wheel will be the same overall diameter though.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:03 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JDR

Not to thread jack, but how does a 15" wheel have the same diameter as a 17" wheel?
less metal on the 15", but more rubber. You use a "taller" tire with the 15" wheel, so the outer diameter of the tire stays the same as you change wheel sizes.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:51 PM
junior1459
3rd Gear
Did you raise the car a bit.. and if so, did the handling improve on the "on-ramp?"
Thanks!

Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by snid
less metal on the 15", but more rubber. You use a "taller" tire with the 15" wheel, so the outer diameter of the tire stays the same as you change wheel sizes.
Otherwise your speedo isn't accurate!

Old 09-28-2007, 02:27 PM
JDR
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Otherwise your speedo isn't accurate!
A speedometer can be calibrated...

My point was the statement that a 17" wheel and a 16" wheel have the same diameter is false. One is 17 inches and the other is 16 inches. Aside from that there are tons of different combinations of wheel / tire that give different sizes. How do you think the V dubbers are slamming their cars so low...?

Old 09-28-2007, 05:07 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JDR

My point was the statement that a 17" wheel and a 16" wheel have the same diameter is false. One is 17 inches and the other is 16 inches. Aside from that there are tons of different combinations of wheel / tire that give different sizes. How do you think the V dubbers are slamming their cars so low...?

the diameter of the (stock) TIRE is almost identical. The rim of course is an inch different.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 09-28-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:56 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JDR

My bad. I should have said a wheel with the appropriate profile tire will yield the same approximate diameter/circumference/revolutions per mile. I mistakenly assumed that someone would obviously understand that a 17" wheel is 17" and a 16" wheel is 16". I also assumed that the use of the word 'overall' would be a clue to what I was saying. I guess my english teacher was right about assuming...

I'd love to look into a larger diameter wheel (and tire). How do you calibrate a speedometer or where do you go to get it done on a MINI?

Last edited by jascooper; 09-28-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:23 PM
JDR
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
How do you calibrate a speedometer or where do you go to get it done on a MINI?
Wish I knew...the dealership or a good shop should be able to do this.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:07 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
why would you want a larger wheel and tire? i imagine you'd have some rubbing issues.. You should be able to go around .5" either way without terrible issues. I don't htink you can recalibrate the speed.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:55 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
why would you want a larger wheel and tire? i imagine you'd have some rubbing issues.. You should be able to go around .5" either way without terrible issues. I don't htink you can recalibrate the speed.
To fill some of the gap in the R56. Lowering is too detrimental to ride and handling. If the speedo could be easily recalibrated, it would be nice to go to maybe a 50 series tire on 17" wheels. A little cushier ride and less gap. Of course I would have to measure things to avoid rubbing, but really don't want to have to figure out how fast I'm going all the time.

Quick Reply: Suspension just installed my H&R coilovers