Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension R56 Steering feel

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I one upped that; R53 on BC coilovers with Swift springs, R56 rear trailing arms, and Madness front control arms with spherical bearings. A stock R56 feels like wiggly jello in comparison. It's amazing!

My point here was to try to bring the R56 to the excellent steering feel the R53 has.

--->msh411: You have an R56, why don't you get a set of PSRS's installed?!

Old 12-25-2007, 01:07 PM
velocimini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
...now we just have to get a donor R56 to play with and do the PSRS swap!

You need a donor car to play with?

Old 12-25-2007, 03:57 PM
msh441
6th Gear
--->msh411: You have an R56, why don't you get a set of PSRS's installed?!
Prior to this week they hadn't even been on the radar as an option. Since then, though, they're working their way up on the priority scale.

I have a set of Alta Boost & Turbo Inlet Tubes. I was planning on getting the Alta Intercooler after the first of the year then put the whole set in this spring. Plans may be shifting around a bit, though. We'll see.

The PSRS parts are inexpensive, but I'm still curious about the install. I have access to a lift and have done suspension work before, but the subframe/control arm disassembaly and pressing in the PSRS into the control arm is beyond me. I'd be paying to get it done.

The other point to consider though, is that mods often feel more benifical to the buyer/owner than they do to an independant third party. It would be nice to have a car in an area where a few different people can give it a go.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
The install isn't going to be trivial that's for sure, but the resultant drivability improvement should be well worth the cost.

--->velocimini: Give Chad at DT a call and ask him how much swapping in a set of ALTA PSRS's would cost. He has a bushing press in his workshop and has all the needed tools to perform the job quickly and expertly. This info would also help msh411 with his modding priorities! I'd just be thankful to get a test drive once the change has taken place to see just how big an improvement they make versus the stock squishy rubber bushings. I know how huge a steering resolution improvement they made on my R53!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I am working on a full how-to on the Alta units. It will be published next month. We also have a exchange program starting here. You will get the PSRS pressed into the bracket (that has been painted red or black) where you want them for just another $20 dollars. There is also a core charge to get your old brackets back. More to come about this in coming weeks. We also install them here any time anyone wants to swing by and have this done, $450 plus alignment.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
That's actually not a bad deal considering the work involved. The exchange program with the bushings already pressed-in refurbished brackets and painted is a HOT idea!

Old 12-27-2007, 04:56 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's actually not a bad deal considering the work involved. The exchange program with the bushings already pressed-in refurbished brackets and painted is a HOT idea!
+1, sounds great!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:31 AM
PGT
Banned
agreed....makes things much simpler

Old 12-27-2007, 05:37 AM
velocimini
1st Gear
The install isn't going to be trivial that's for sure, but the resultant drivability improvement should be well worth the cost.

--->velocimini: Give Chad at DT a call and ask him how much swapping in a set of ALTA PSRS's would cost. He has a bushing press in his workshop and has all the needed tools to perform the job quickly and expertly. This info would also help msh411 with his modding priorities! I'd just be thankful to get a test drive once the change has taken place to see just how big an improvement they make versus the stock squishy rubber bushings. I know how huge a steering resolution improvement they made on my R53!
hmmmmm.....I'm at a crossroads with the Mini and I don't know which way to turn

I just don't know if I should proceed with it as my next track car or not. I love it's lightweight and the torquey little engine, but i am much less enthusiastic about the way it puts power down when coming out of corners hard (being a comfort oriented street fwd). The lack of control (torque steer, hunting for the line/traction) is quite pronounced compared to my last 3 track cars (RX-8, R32, Evo). (plus the bumpsteer and nervousness at very high speeds eg. Mid Ohio-would have to be solved or tolerated).

I do love it as a street car, though. Very quick handling and fantastic off throttle corner driving dynamics (tight or long sweepers ).

It seems to have great potential, I just have to make up my mind to commit or move on

hmmm...135i....new STI....TC Kline equipped R56 w/power mods and 235 race rubber....

Sorry about airing my OT committment issues If I do keep it-Chad will be the one working on it-he did a nice job installing a rear sway for me

Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
For what it's worth: I found the R56 to be a far superior track car than the R53. The torque steer and traction hunting are NOT an issue at the limit with the R56. It really is a totally different car on track with race rubber than on the street with street tires. I LOVE the R56 on the track. Coilovers, race rubber, an exhaust, better brake pads, and proper seats/harnesses/cage and the car kicks serious butt.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Originally Posted by velocimini
h (plus the bump steer and nervousness at very high speeds eg. Mid Ohio-would have to be solved or tolerated).
i drive Mid Ohio several times a year and think what you may be feeling is the front bushing flexing all around. i find the car very solid at Mid Ohio. i was starting to get some movement under hard braking coming off the 115 mph on the straight. after the PSRS no movement at all. the tires and BBK would grip so hard that it would make the front control arms flex in and out, or left right, and make the car kind of float a bit. once i solved the problem, it feet
great. now just more power. give me a call if you need to talk more about it.

Chad

Old 12-27-2007, 06:06 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by agokart
I am working on a full how-to on the Alta units. It will be published next month. We also have a exchange program starting here. You will get the PSRS pressed into the bracket (that has been painted red or black) where you want them for just another $20 dollars. There is also a core charge to get your old brackets back. More to come about this in coming weeks. We also install them here any time anyone wants to swing by and have this done, $450 plus alignment.

any chance to get this with a PU bushing? also...how hard is the swap? the whole subframe has to be dropped?

Old 12-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by PGT
any chance to get this with a PU bushing? also...how hard is the swap? the whole subframe has to be dropped?
Yes the subframe needs to be at least loosened and lowered a bit, not necessarily removed from the car. Once you get the control arm bushing housings out of the car, you can put in whatever bushing your heart desires. I recommend a spherical bearing because I like perfect steering feel with zero slop or give. Polyurethane will certainly feel better than stock, but not as good as a spherical. That said, poly will be less harsh than a spherical, but you might be surprised how little NVH addition there is with a spherical in that application. It's not at all obnoxious like a spherical bearing rear control arm!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:42 PM
PGT
Banned
spherical is fine with me if there's an option besides PSRS.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:55 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
PSRS is spherical. I'm not sure theres going to be as much drama as you think. Theres a lot of other bushings to take up the slop.

Chad, is the PSRS pretty noisy and jarring on the street? or not bad at all?

Thanks!
Josh

Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by PGT
Why no PSRS? You have an R53 right? Do Madness front control arms, they ROXXORS!!!1!

R56 people will have to make do with PSRS or Bav Auto poly bushings for now.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:43 PM
PGT
Banned
perhaps at some point I'll do those and the rear aluminum bits. About $1500 combined...other priorities right now.

on another note...just saw the madness PU rear upper bushings....I was looking for these a month ago...I think I will get a set....cutting holes for my Cross made it apparent how much deflection there is in the stock foam bushings...easily 3/4" between loaded and unloaded

Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
True, but don't forget the angle of the shock changes throughout suspension travel. You actually don't cut a hole for the rear upper shock damper adjustment, you cut a slot. Kinda strange at first, but I learned the hard way on that one too, LOL.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:08 PM
KNTRKTOR
1st Gear
The ALTA PSRS sounds like the next mod after the ECU goes in this week . Chad, my chariot awaits!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
i do not get any more NVH from the PSRS. i already have IE Poly Engine Bushings that put the engine in the seat with me. my car rides very firm with the yellows set at MED. and camber and all the nice race car like stuff, so when i added them i didn't notice anything, other than the car would actually go where i wanted it too. i could tell just driving down the street that the car would wonder places that i was not telling it go too. so i jacked up the car and tested the control arm bushings for play. both where shot. once the oil leaks out, the bushing starts to dry up. and water gets in there and starts to rust, then that makes the rubber come apart even more. so much, that several of the car that i have repaired, the control arm just pulls out after removing the inner and outer ball joints. this could not happen on the road, but the only thing from it just slapping around in there is and solid rubber bumpers on the arm. and forget ever getting the alignment correct with some bad bushings.

^^^^ IJE, is that you? i am sure they will fit your car but you should have 20K to 30K before you would have to replace them. the lowest car i have ever seen was 33K and it was replaced under warranty for him. most cars i see it around the 60K mark. but any time your ready to do them i would be happy to add them to your R56. the car is looking and sounding good with all the neat Alta goodies! it makes me want a 56.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
to add an over all opinion about the PSRS, i don't really see why they would give any negatives to the ride. it's just a point for the control arm to pivot, the springs and shocks that up the bumps and potholes. if you look at how the front a-arms and designed and function, they basically just twist on center....i am sure that the twisting helps the bushings wear out faster.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Originally Posted by PGT
on another note...just saw the madness PU rear upper bushings....I was looking for these a month ago...I think I will get a set....cutting holes for my Cross made it apparent how much deflection there is in the stock foam bushings...easily 3/4" between loaded and unloaded
I also have these. it helped tighten up the rear end. less roll over. i think they are a very pricey item, but after you have done it all, what is a few more dollars. in the end i ended up selling my old bushing locally to help cover some of that cost. did you know you can not order the bushings from your mini dealer, even with the part number on the bushings. one of the over sights i have found in the mini parts catalog.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:29 AM
PGT
Banned
True, but don't forget the angle of the shock changes throughout suspension travel. You actually don't cut a hole for the rear upper shock damper adjustment, you cut a slot. Kinda strange at first, but I learned the hard way on that one too, LOL.
oh, mine are slots now too

Originally Posted by agokart
I also have these.
yes....I got new rear tophats.....$240 at the dealer.....for some pressed metal and foam.

how much for the rear PU?

Old 12-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Originally Posted by PGT
how much for the rear PU?
$75 + sh

Old 12-31-2007, 04:47 PM
PGT
Banned
ouch. are these the ones from Madness? I don't think they OEM these....they typically have a big markup vs. what you can get them for otherwise...just need to find out who makes them. Kind of burns me to spend 3x what IE charges for the same stuff (if they made the R53 upper rear, which they don't yet)

Quick Reply: Suspension R56 Steering feel