Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Knock Knock knock ing from passenger rear.. weird.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knock Knock knock ing from passenger rear.. weird.

I have installed my H&R coils a while back and i have been running them flawlessly. however, i noticed some clank and clunks recently over some decent sized imperfections..

sooo after a few weeks of riding the car as is, i took my time yesterday to adjust the height and check things around.. I raised the coil a bit cuz it was rubbin and checked the endlink which was kinda loose. so I thought I had it in my bag.. but nope.

the knock knock got more apparent after messing with the ride height and the end link.. its more like some kind of plastic part is hitting something underneath the car.. (previously, it was more of a metallic clank clank) now its KNOCKING.. wtf..

what could it be? top nuts becoming loose? (I tigthen them very hard to prevent anything popping out tho..) swaybar?

thanks in advance.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Phillip
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you get it to make the sound while on a smooth surface, turning left and right very quickly? Also, since it got more apparant, lower the car back, to how it was, and see how the sound is at that point. It could still be the endlink after tightening it going up, possibly the bushing going bad.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check all the bolts...

and there aren't that many. Upper strut bolt (one on top of the strut), the two that hold the strut to the unibody, The one that holds the strut to the rear trailing arm, and the two for the end-link. While you're down there, check the bushing clamp for the sway bar. And the control arm bolts. The outer ones are easy to get to. The lower inner is easy as well. The inner upper is a PITA. IF none of those are it, check the muffler hangar stuff, many of those have gone south (especially the band around the muffler). Maybe you just got lucky with the timing of an unrelated event.

Matt

Old 02-25-2008, 06:19 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sprp85
I have installed my H&R coils a while back and i have been running them flawlessly. however, i noticed some clank and clunks recently over some decent sized imperfections..

sooo after a few weeks of riding the car as is, i took my time yesterday to adjust the height and check things around.. I raised the coil a bit cuz it was rubbin and checked the endlink which was kinda loose. so I thought I had it in my bag.. but nope.

the knock knock got more apparent after messing with the ride height and the end link.. its more like some kind of plastic part is hitting something underneath the car.. (previously, it was more of a metallic clank clank) now its KNOCKING.. wtf..

what could it be? top nuts becoming loose? (I tigthen them very hard to prevent anything popping out tho..) swaybar?

thanks in advance.
You didn't say whether it was the front or the rear...If it's the front and you have checked all the ball joints etc... I would take a hard look at the control arm bushings. I had two cars that had something similar to what your describing. I checked the car with the chassis ear, had other people bounce up and down on the car. On the alignment rack and the whold nine and I swore up and down that the bushings wouldn't make this noise and reluctantly changed them just due to the having some visible tears(but no popback when braking!) and damn if it wasn't fixed.

Learned something new and something old all at the same time. Change what you know is bad first, even if you don't think it will fix it. It's already bad and needs to be replaced so WTH

Edit: Disregard my entire post, LOL it says Pass rear in the Header

Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
thanks all!
I'm about to go out and take a look right now (9:30 pm) cuz it will bother me through out the week...

Old 02-25-2008, 07:27 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
checked about everything i could EXCEPT for the strut nut since it is too dark and i didn't have enough tools to drop the whole rear struts..

the noise persists. I popped the little plastic cover that covers up HK 's amp and the noise seems to be gotten louder.. so I'm guessing its the strut nut hmph

Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket rear swaybar? I had this problem (or anyway, a similar noise from the rear) and I found I had to grease the swaybar polyurethane bushings very well.