Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Front camber adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010 | 03:49 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by tvrgeek
As my rear bar came Friday, do you have a link to the video of which you speak? I do not have a lift, so was being a bit timid about doing it myself. The problem is, I do not know of a shop with 60 miles who I would trust. Taking it to Mach V means a day off work.

If it is not too hot today ( been over 100), I intend to grind my front fender slots this AM.
Sorry I was at an autocross today. Still trying to figure out my tire pressures but having fun doing it. Here is the link that shows how to drop the rear suspension (it is not as hard as it sounds). But you need two jacks.
http://www.mini-madness.com/madness-...-sway-bar.aspx

The video is about half way down the page. 3 points:
1) There are 4 bolts that hold the rear subframe in. When you go to replace them, the video show the guy using an air wrench to put the 1st bolt back in and it looks easy. Remember, he has done this a zazillion times. Getting the frame moved back into place is relatively easy with a pry bar or the like. But make sure that the bolt is full aligned in the hole and don't cross thread it as I did. I was lucky as I stopped before it got too bad. If it is aligned correctly, it will hand thread in.

2) the video doesn't show removing the shock/spring. This is easy and should be the first step (well, after jacking the car up and removing wheels). 2 bolts at the top and 1 at the bottom.

3) Another thread suggested using teflon tape instead of grease on the bushing (wrap it around the bar where the bushing goes). I did my bar this way and it has been in a month with no noise.

Needless to say, after jacking the car up put it on jack stands or block it up underneath so it doesn't fall on you.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-26-2010 | 06:52 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Thanks, but beat you to it and made a post of it. Super easy. I like your idea of teflon tape. However, the H&R bushings are teflon impregnated and go on dry. If I ever bull the bars out of my wife's Honda, I may try that trick. They are old style poly. Interpart I think was the brand. Not even a zerk in them.

I left one front subframe bolt just started to help with realignment. The one on the side the bar came out on.
I only dropped the top of the shocks. Did not need to take them out or touch the lower bolt.

Now I know how easy it is, I will reconsider if I want to do the rear lateral links to decamber the tail end.

Old 07-26-2010 | 05:06 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Ok, you left out the most important detail - how's it feel
Good idea with the one bolt left in . I though briefly about just undoing the tops of the shocks but wasn't sure if the bar would fit. Plus I live in upstate salted NY. Everything I take apart gets a coating of neverseize. Who know when I might want to change the shock/springs and this will make sure that they will come out when I do.

Old 07-27-2010 | 01:36 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
I have not really tested it, as I want to do the front alignment. Shop is booked until tomorrow.