Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Improve handling while minimizing comfort loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Neufusion
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Improve handling while minimizing comfort loss

This has probably been asked before, but I searched through the forum and couldn't find a good answer.

My 04 Cooper S is at 65k miles. I just got it a few weeks ago, so I dont know how it compares to new, but I'm sure the suspension has worn a bit. I want to replace the struts/springs with aftermarket ones or coilovers and add a rear sway bar. This is a daily driver with frequent family passengers so I'm looking for the setup that will give me the most improved handling with the least sacrific in ride comfort.

Daily driven with biweekly 'sport rides' out in the windy roads around San Diego county. Never been to an autocross, but I will probably attend one in the near future as a result of my MINI purchase.

What do you guys recommend?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:34 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
How much money do you have?

High end Cross Coilovers
Budget Coilovers would be Megan

You could also run at set of Springs, TSW, with IE Camber plates. Plus the IE Swaybar is a win-win for a daily driver without breaking the budget.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The first thing, and biggest single improvement, is to begin with lightweight wheels and non-runflat tires.

Once that's done, a rear sway bar will tighten the cornering.

For your stated purposes, forget any kind of coil-overs. Stay with stock springs and upgrade to Koni FSD shocks.

if you want to improve the precision and pointability, use a lower strut bar and the Cabrio diagonal braces to stiffen the front end. Then install urethane front control-arm bushings and perhaps rear trailing-arm bushings.

You will get a car than can stick with any other MINI, but your family will love riding in the car.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The first thing, and biggest single improvement, is to begin with lightweight wheels and non-runflat tires.

Once that's done, a rear sway bar will tighten the cornering.

For your stated purposes, forget any kind of coil-overs. Stay with stock springs and upgrade to Koni FSD shocks.
I'll add that a set of camber plates & a decent alignment will really help your MINI's handling come alive.

I'm running stock springs & shocks with a 19mm rear swaybar set full stiff & a set of Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates & I couldn't be happier. Yes I ditched the runflats & boat anchor wheels too. When my struts wear out I may go with another set of stock ones or go with the Koni FSD shocks.

Another alternative would be to go with a JCW suspension. Check out the prices at Morristown MINI.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Phantom
4th Gear
also might want to look in to the TSW X brace, I have the M7 one but wish I had the TSW X Brace.

But As others have said, get a rear sway bar (19mm) they are just wow, I have H&R springs but havent really noticed a ride diffrance, a little stiffer but not bad, I also have stock struts, a set of Bilstiens struts would really go great with the H&R's.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:11 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
FYI, the IE 22mm HOLLOW is the same stiffen as a solid 19mm bar and the IE is the only one that comes with upgraded end links.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:08 PM
heyduard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Neufusion
My 04 Cooper S is at 65k miles. I just got it a few weeks ago, so I dont know how it compares to new, but I'm sure the suspension has worn a bit.
At 45k, I was noticing increased jarring and bump steer. At 55k, it was getting to kidney busting levels. now, my mini is a daily driver in the nyc metro area. "roads" are just bad. Your front strut mounts may be "mushroomed" or torn and have to be replaced.

Originally Posted by OldRick
+1 for stock springs and Koni FSD dampers.

Originally Posted by Crashton
... a set of Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates & I couldn't be happier.
+1 for the IE fixed plates. They are strut mounts from a heavier car (3 series bmw) mounted to a thick plate. You still get ride compliance with increased negative camber. see my gallery for side by side comparisons between the oem strut mount and the IE plate.

So you may infer my mini's current set up {link to me blog] is IE fixed plates and Koni FSDs and non runflats. Should have done this sooner. Very good for these mean streets. when the r&d budget is not zero, the aforementioned goodies - rear bar, cabo braces, bushings, and lower strut bar - will be bolted on.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those pictures in your blog illustrate what mushrooming is like no other I have seen.

I like your alignment specs. They are close to what I'm running. The only question I have is why the camber numbers in the rear aren't the same on both sides. I managed to get -1.5 on both sides in the rear. My car is an 06 & does have more adjustment than the pre 05 cars.

After 10,000+ miles my tires are wearing great. Gotta love those camber plates.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:22 AM
batrugger
5th Gear
We used to have the TSW springs with the KONI FSD's before we switched to the Cross coils and it was great street setup that could also work great at the occasional track. It dropped the car about 3/4 of an inch and did not affect the functionality of the FSD's

Old 07-28-2008, 12:37 PM
heyduard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
I like your alignment specs. They are close to what I'm running. The only question I have is why the camber numbers in the rear aren't the same on both sides.
good question. My guess is something's bent from a pothole or other feature of NE Jersey roads. when I was underneath installing the rear dampers, I did not see anything obvious. adjustable lower control arms are another thing on the wish list.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:10 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been VERY pleased with Koni FSDs, stock ("Sport") springs, an Alta 19mm rr anti-sway bar and recently added SPC adjustable camber plates and rear adjustable lower control arms from H-sport. I also have 14 lb. 17x7.5 Falken rims with Kumho ECSTA 215x45 tires. The ride is FAR FAR better than stock (due mostly to dumping the run-flats and adding the FSDs) but the 19 mm Alta bar in the rear took out some understeer and body roll. I firmly believe that the FSDs handle much BETTER than stock struts.

One other thing is to have the suspension checked out for worn items. At about 60,000, my '04 MCS needed some TLC in the form of replacement bushings and such. There was also considerable play, front to rear in the front end, which had to be fixed.

The camber plates and rear control arms allowed more agressive camber settings which I found also improved turn-in and further reduced understeer.

It's a good setup for me on the street (daily driver in LA, a bit over 40 miles round trip daily). I have not quite 65000 miles right now.

I don't plan to do anything else to the suspension right now, but MAYBE TSW springs all round a bit down the road. I am a little hesitant since I like the setup so much now, but the TSWs would lower the car a bit (for looks and handling, I hope) without sacrificing ride (I hope). If they didn't work, I could go back to my current setup.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
I was looking for the same thing. I don't track my car as of yet and use it to commute to work with the wife. I also like to play canyon racer so I wanted the best of both. Here is what I ended up with and I love the ride and performance.

Koni FSD
H-Sport springs
Alta 22 sway
Pro Mini drop links
Helix control arms
Ireland fixed camber plates
OMP upper strut bar
OMP lower bar
215 x 40 x 18 Toyo T1R's

Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 PM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
I use my car as a daily driven vehicle and I run:

OEM shocks (cheap to replace)
TSW springs
OMP front Stress Brace
19mm Alta rear swaybar
and the choice of either:

15 inch holies on 195/55/15 Kumho ASX tires (awesome combo!!)
17 inch S-Lites on 215/45/17 Hankook Ventus RS2 Summer TIres (GRIP X2)

My suspension with these wheel/tire combos rides comfortably and it is a blast to hit the canyons and mountains with as well! With a rear sway, some bracing and a set of TSW springs, you will not be disappointed!

Old 08-01-2008, 01:05 AM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
anyone tried jcw shocks with lower spings? as i am giving that some thought as a potential combo at the moment..

Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Not sure if it has been tried but I am sure that it would work. It just all depends on springs rates and the height of the spring that is being used. A more modest drop (TSW, H-Sport, etc.) will undoubtedly work better with the JCW than a set of H&R or even M7 springs. To me, those springs lower the car enough to the point where adjustable shocks may be the way to go. If someone else disagrees with that, please chime in!