Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Can someone explain suspension components?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:25 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone explain suspension components?

Can someone explain suspension components to me. Struts, shocks, springs, and their role... Springs just to support the weight of the car, shocks to dampen recoil? struts = shock?

Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
This will give you a pretty in depth run through of the suspension along with how, why's and tradeoffs.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension.htm

Old 12-29-2008, 12:50 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
That site was very informative. So after reading that right and so I have the right terminology. The mini has a strut which consists of the shock absorber and spring over the shock.

Thats basically a coilover system, right?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
Nope, a coilover system has adjustable spring perches to lower or raise ride height as the end user sees fit. Some also have adjustable dampening settings integrated so the end user can adjust the ride to a preferred level of comfort(sport-race)

Old 12-29-2008, 02:04 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Struts in front, shocks in back, coil springs all round

Old 01-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Silkworm
3rd Gear
springs support the wieght and how much wieght transfers based on stiffness.
Dampners adjust how fast that wieght transfers.
swaybars adjust body roll by linking left and right side of the suspensions together.

Way i see it anyhow.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Storm180
3rd Gear
Ok, maybe I'm just stuck on stupid, but I don't quite get it.

I've read the howstuffworks writeup (very informative), and from the pictures, it looks as if a Strut and a Coilover are the same thing, minus the adjustability of the coilover. Their pictures of a strut show a spring around the outside of the unit, like a coilover. Ok, fine. But when I go to try to purchase a Strut they look exactly the same as a shock. As one example, on MINI Madness' page (http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...S&Category=209) the FSD struts and the Yellow shocks look identical for the front components. I understand there are differences between fronts and backs, so I'm just talking about front FSD's verses front Yellows.

I guess basically I have three questions:

1. Shouldn't a "strut" have a spring on the outside as part of the unit to be called a strut? Otherwise its just a shock, right?

2. Can I keep my lowering springs if I buy struts or do they come with their own that can't be replaced?

3. Or is all of this just one hell of a misnomer and there's really no difference until the actual part is combined with the existing spring like Voltron and put in the car?

Ugh...All this to figure out why I've got one hell of a right pull on my car and I'm blowing through my right tires. Thanks in advance for help clearing this up.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:31 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow... you ARE pretty confused.

I guess basically I have three questions:

1. Shouldn't a "strut" have a spring on the outside as part of the unit to be called a strut? Otherwise its just a shock, right?
You'll find lots of conflicting definitions regarding the difference between a strut and a shock. One that I've heard is that a "strut" is a structural, load bearing component of the suspension - on the front of the MINI, if you remove the front strut, the steering knuckle flops over - the wheel won't stay upright without the strut. The strut actually carries a significant portion of the car's side load when cornering. A "shock" solely acts as a damper, not a structural component - which is true on the rear of the MINI. But, in another sense, some folks consider both to be "struts" because they work in conjunction with a coil spring mounted on the body of the strut itself (as you suggest). Clear as mud, eh? But it's a strut because is uses a spring around it to function - it doesn't only get to be called a strut after the spring is installed. The spring is not "part" of the strut. Short version - if you buy something call either struts or shocks or coilovers for a MINI - they are functionally the same things (except for the adjustability of the coilover).

2. Can I keep my lowering springs if I buy struts or do they come with their own that can't be replaced?
Struts typically do NOT come with springs installed. Coilovers typically DO come with springs installed. But there are exceptions. But, for the examples you list, Koni FSDs and Yellows do NOT come with springs. You use the OEM springs, or add aftermarket springs.

3. Or is all of this just one hell of a misnomer and there's really no difference until the actual part is combined with the existing spring like Voltron and put in the car?
See answer to #1. Shock/strut + spring (plus spring perches, plus maybe camber plates in front) = something that you install to actually do something. None of the components work individually without the others.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Storm180
3rd Gear
Ok. Now THAT makes more sense. Its the structural component that I was missing.

Thanks Blimey

Old 07-05-2009, 04:34 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Technically all McPherson type suspension setups can be considered as "coilovers".

What most people here refer to as coilovers are the suspension kits which have ride height adjustability as well as bound/rebound adjustments.