Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension NM Engineering Alpha Springs & 22mm Swaybar

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Calvin,

I would suggest you revisit the bolts and brackets and try to complete the attachment properly. I don't know how much of the engineering and physics you want to know but surfice it to say, its not good to leave it as is.

For more and possibly unnecessary information:

You see, the function of the bolts is to attach the bracket to the frame so that the forces from the bar transfer through the brackets into the frame. In this capacity, the bolts will be subject to the forces in Tension which is what they're good at.

Problem is that right now with the brackets separated from the frame by a gap, all the forces from the bar are being transfered into the brackets, then into the bolts, and then into the frame.

I know it may sound weird but you don't want the bolts to become a separate load carrying link. In that capacity, the bolts will be subject to several forces like torsion, and sheer that they are not really good at handling. The bolts are probably not strong enough to perform in that function and its likely that they will eventually fail. If they fail, that could cause other damage.

I don't know where you are located but if you feel unsure of yourself with this you could post for someone nearby to help you out and take a look. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Good Luck

Old 10-28-2010, 08:05 PM
3leafz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the suggestion,
and i took your words to revisit the bolts, and i have tightened them to sit as close to the subframe as possible.
i took a picture, and please help to check if that's OK.

-calvin

Originally Posted by djdraddy
Hey Calvin,

I would suggest you revisit the bolts and brackets and try to complete the attachment properly. I don't know how much of the engineering and physics you want to know but surfice it to say, its not good to leave it as is.

For more and possibly unnecessary information:

You see, the function of the bolts is to attach the bracket to the frame so that the forces from the bar transfer through the brackets into the frame. In this capacity, the bolts will be subject to the forces in Tension which is what they're good at.

Problem is that right now with the brackets separated from the frame by a gap, all the forces from the bar are being transfered into the brackets, then into the bolts, and then into the frame.

I know it may sound weird but you don't want the bolts to become a separate load carrying link. In that capacity, the bolts will be subject to several forces like torsion, and sheer that they are not really good at handling. The bolts are probably not strong enough to perform in that function and its likely that they will eventually fail. If they fail, that could cause other damage.

I don't know where you are located but if you feel unsure of yourself with this you could post for someone nearby to help you out and take a look. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Good Luck

Attached Thumbnails NM Engineering Alpha Springs & 22mm Swaybar-20101028_001.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Hey Calvin,

From what I can see in your picture, it looks pretty good. Important thing is that the bracket is firmly in contact with the frame.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 PM
3leafz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djd,
i think that's the best i can do at the moment, because i was afraid to stripe out the threads as i tighten it any further.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bolts holding the brackets should be torqued to 25 ft. lbs. but it's mighty hard getting the wrench in there. Just make sure they're good and snug. You're picture looks good, absolutely you should have, no gap, none, between the frame and brackets. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Users of NM springs and a 22mm rear bar. What shocks are you using? What tires? Also what setting is the rear bar on? Is it neutral or does the rear come around?

Old 10-31-2010, 01:50 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Originally Posted by smoke05S
Users of NM springs and a 22mm rear bar. What shocks are you using? What tires? Also what setting is the rear bar on? Is it neutral or does the rear come around?
Check my Sig. I have the yellows on full stiff and had to dremmel under the arches a tad to avoid rubbing. I have the sway bar set on medium/high. I rarely feel any understeer. 235s on the r56 deliver unmatched grip in all the right places with drawbacks being greater bumpster and torquesteer.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:42 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Using Bilstein HD shocks. Michelin 215-45 17"s for summer and stock RF's for winter. I have the bar set at the center, no noticable understeer, no feeling of the rear wanting to swap ends, very stable. Also, the icing on the cake, virtually no bump steer that I can feel compared to the absolutely crappy stock springs and shocks. Also torque steer seems to have vanished completely. All in all very happy with this setup.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
I was thinking of 215 if nothing else to make the speedo more accurate. I like what I am hearing from both of you. Sounds like J09 might have enough grip and extra power to really load up the chassis. Don't think my car is quite there yet. The bump steer drives me crazy with these run flats but I hear some people say there is not that much of a difference between them and non run flats. Torque steer isn't too bad unless I try something wacko but that is exactly when I do not want torque steer. The pitching under heavy accelleration and braking also is a big minus since the car feels so good when casually bombing around. All these bad manners come out to distract you when you need to concentrate the most, so changes need to be made for sure. So Maugre (love that color combo!), you are running Bilstien HD's with NM springs? Why not Bilstien sports? Also you have a 22mm bar in the middle correct?

Last edited by smoke05S; 11-02-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Hi smoke05S, I read on other posts that Bilstein reps commented that HD's would be OK with the small drop of the NM springs (NM says 1.2" but mine after about 500 miles didn't quite drop an inch yet) and the sport shocks were a little more spendy, shorter, less material = more $? Anyway personally I think the HD's are more than up to the task.
And yes, I have the bar set at the center setting.
I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but bump steer and torque steer are gone as well, which I attribute mainly to the Bilsteins. Both conditions could be very exciting in stock configurations, but is no longer a concern, anyway good luck!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:23 AM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Great post! Lots of good info. I think you just sold me on your set up.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Where did you get your springs?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Way Motor Works, excellent and fast service.