Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Need to make a suspension decision but I need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Atr3yu Baykor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to make a suspension decision but I need some opinions

Well I am getting some wheel gap delete with my tax return but I am not sure which direction I wanna go. I started of going the cheap route with just some springs. Then the more I thought about it the more I wanted coilovers. I have a 03 R50 so my suspension is starting to get some age and I doubt my shocks would last very long if I threw on lowering springs, so thats pretty much out of the question now. I have been doing alot of searching and I am still undecided. I was thinking about the VMAXX setup because it is such a good price. But if I get that will I need front/rear camber plates also? Then I was looking at the BC's and saw they have the front camber adjustment built in as well as other features the VMAXX doesn't have, but they are $400 more. All in all I am a broke college kid and I need to get my biggest bang for my buck, but I want it done right...What should I get, and what else besides the coilovers do I have to get? ie: spacers, camber plates, adjustable control arms? Not what else is NICE to have, but what do I NEED to do this right? Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
You'll def need the Hsport rear camber links to get the rear camber/toe correct. Also if your trying to stay cheap there is always the Megan coilovers.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 05-13-2010, 03:07 PM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd probably favor the VMaxx over the Megan if you do decide to go coilover. I also have a Miata and Flyin Miata recently started selling VMaxx. FM won't normally sell crappy products so its reassuring to have a vendor like that stocking the VMaxx.

Skip the camber plates until you can afford them - or need them. Stock camber setup is fine for regular driving. You can get the IE Fixed camber plates (off a BMW Z4 iirc) for $180 to get more negative camber up front.

The only thing you really may actually NEED (vs. WANT) is struts (front) and shocks (rear). They are wear items. Springs will last for decades. Also the upper shock mounts (aka camber plates) wear out with age as well but they seem to be pretty long lasting overall.

You may want to consider some new Konis or Bilsteins and used springs if you want some lowering and less body roll but potentially better strut/shock life compared to inexpensive coilovers. The shock is the most critical part and will make you love or hate your car. If you go Konis, you can probably get a Ground Control coilover kit down the line and reuse the shocks.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Or for lighter and stronger rear control arms, with boots to prevent corrosion (the H-Sport jam nuts corrode to the aluminum turnbuckles and seize) try the Helix control arms.

Available here

Last edited by Helix13mini; 05-13-2010 at 03:20 PM.