Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Whenever I hit a bump, I get a squeaking sound from the front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Whenever I hit a bump, I get a squeaking sound from the front suspension

I have over 70k miles on my '05 Cooper S and the suspension is all original. (nothing has ever been changed) I first thought it would be the Front LCA bushings, (seeing as they seem to have a habit of failing) but then I recall hearing that it might be the front sway bar maybe? I'm only getting this squeak from the front, and NOT the back. And as the title says, this only occurs when I hit bumps or potholes. Madison is known for some crappy roads in case you haven't figured out.

Any idea for sure where this squeak is coming from?

Old 06-28-2010, 03:33 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
It verywell could be the front swaybar bushings, if so do em with the control arm bushings, cause the bolts are the same for both. So it's just as easy to do them together.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 06-28-2010, 05:13 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
I had a squeek in the rear drivers side that would happen over every bump....I replaced the rear sway bar end links and it went away. Just a thought but you may be having an issue with the front(s) if the bar bushings are aok.

BTW: OEM replacement endlinks are not the same as originals. Much more difficult to get a wrench in behind the new ones. Need a thin open end wrench, as clearance is different. Someone in manufacturing making it difficult for shade tree mechanics to do our own work......

Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That's interesting I have to say. After all this time when I thought it was the LCA bushings, it really might've been the sway bar bushings. I sort of had a plan to replace the LCA bushings along with the inner and outer ball joints, but I suppose I can also replace the sway bar bushings as well.

I just got done changing the oil and tranny fluid a few days ago and did have a look at the front suspension. On the face of it, nothing seemed wrong, but I'll have another look under the car soon when I get a chance. My dad's hoist is currently in use, and I'm in no rush.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:53 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
I gave the rear endlinks a good visual before replacing too. They looked albeit somewhat worn but normal. So replacing them was the only thing left to do and thankfully, cured the rear end squeeking.

When LCA bushings go, it seems symptoms are: Inability to obtain accurate front end alignment, somewhat constant steering inputs required during travel.

They basically keep the front tires pointing the direction they should reducing road friction and tire wear which will definately hamper performance. A great bang for the buck upgrade when replaced with powerflex (purple) bushings.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:53 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Freshly blown shocks can make that sound.