Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Can someone please help me put my suspension together?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Mike S
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone please help me put my suspension together?

Hi guys,

I recently bought some KW V2's to swap out my existing BC coilovers (which are great, just too hard for our crappy roads).

Problem is I threw away my old OEM suspension, which I had to re-use parts from.

New setup is basically KW V2's with Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates up front and OEM rear top mounts. Those are literally the only things I bought originally.

Since then, I have bought number 5,6,7 and 8 on the diagram below. I'm assuming that's all I would need? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Ireland Engineering camber plates came with two big heavy duty rounded washers, which I assume goes right at the top where the coilover sticks out through the camber plate.

The hole is a bit small in the washer, which is fine as I can drill that bigger.

I just can't figure out how to get the top of the coilover through the camber plate. I have put the springs on their lowest setting and tried to press the camber plate though with my body weight, but it feel like it bottoms out before even touching the big washer at the top.

Any advice for me? I would really appreciate it.

I'm trying to assemble the suspension at home, so I can take to the workshop and the guys there can just bolt it right up to the car.

Here are some images of my coilovers.

I can't get that top nut through which seems to hold everything together.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:42 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Good news is that extra washer you have laying on top the camber plate is actually for the rear suspension, so don't use it.

Otherwise I don't know why it's not going together I'd have to take it apart and see for myself.

Also FYI, since your using the fixed camber plates if you lower the car you're going to end up with alot of camber. I don't recommend those fixed plates with coilovers.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Mike S
4th Gear
Thanks WMW!

So the nut at the top fastens on top of the bearing?

I'm not going to lower the car a lot, just a little bit. I am scraping everything left, right and center with my BC's. I think I might go an inch at most lower than OEM height with these.

Would you still recommend I go with stock camber plates then WMW?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Yes that center nut should tighten down on the bearing, but I'd think you should see more of the shaft through the nut, that makes me think you have something else wrong but I can't tell what.

As for the camber, I don't recommend the fixed plates when you lower the car at all, the cars are never even side to side and lowering them is going to cause you to have more than 1.25 neg camber and the difference will be amplified with the lowering. How much??? You won't know till you put it on the alignment rack. If your going for more than 1.25, then you for sure will have that, but don't be surprised with what you get.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 08-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Mike S
4th Gear
Here are more images. Ok everything makes sense! Thanks so much WMW!

Argh, I don't want to order OEM plates after I already bought the IE :(

I think I will have a heart attack when I inquire about the price at BMW.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you can always call up classic mini, they give nam members a 20% discount which makes things a lot cheaper then the dealerships. I cant wait to install my KW v2s. Please take pics after the installation, so I have an idea how low it is.