Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Installed Some Suspension Bits, Do Like!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010 | 01:01 PM
blitzed310
|
2nd Gear
Installed Some Suspension Bits, Do Like!

I've been gathering some parts for the R56 and just got back from vacation with a few days to spare so I decided to throw some of them on.

Started out with the NM boost tubes to replace the muffler and was able to ditch the noise maker, and installed a block off plate at the hole in the firewall from the noise maker. Tips for the installer, make sure to clean the inside of the tubes to remove all possible debris; line the hose clamps up and make sure to point them in the most accessible position, don't forget you need to be able to get a driver on them.

I'll be installing the boost tap later with a gauge set.

I didn't really take any pics of the install or them in place as it is really uneventful.

Then I moved over to the suspension and installed the NM Springs. I choose these since this is my girl's DD and dont want to get to crazy on lowering until I get CO's. I also choose these from reviews and discussions that lowering too much with springs effects the dampening/travel/rebound, etc. I got a good deal on these too so that was a plus!
Stock F/R height was 25-5/8" and 26" to the very bottom of the fenders, after the install and a drive to seat the suspension it measured at 24-3/4" and 25" respectively. I'll put a few tanks on these springs and see how they sit.

Also installed is a HSports 19mm rear bar, I'm putting this in the middle for now but after a short drive last night, I'm going to set in on the inner most hole and see how that goes.

Since the rear tires had some camber and it will get worse with the other suspensions pieces in the future I installed HSports Rear Camber Links. I set these to stock for now plus one full turn for +1 degree to adjust for the already stock - camber and then with the 1" drop from the MN springs. I'll be taking it to the local alignment shop tomorrow and setting it properly, although my Harbor Freight camber/toe gauge has done me well in the past.

~20mm with the finish

Stock Camber setting in the rear

I didn't post a DIY for any of this since I would assume they have been all covered, I can do a quick one if anyone feels the need for it. These cars are really easy to work on!

Can anyone recommend good toe/camber setting? Anyone have a link for stock settings? I'll check out the Haynes manual at the auto store.

Old 10-07-2010 | 03:14 PM
Mondo
2nd Gear
That's pretty much the mods I'd like to do to my daughter's Justa. I was thinking of getting a set of 4 camber links to be able to move the rear tires in or out a tad to clear spring or fender lip.

Let us know what you think of the ride etc..

Old 10-07-2010 | 07:42 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
NM Springs are fantastic. Enjoy your new mods!

Old 10-07-2010 | 07:48 PM
R35P3CT DA M1N1
4th Gear
now you just need to get rid of those stock endlinks.

looks good!

Old 10-09-2010 | 06:16 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
I run zero ( stock) toe. -.9 camber in front by only slotting the strut towers, and -.4 rear by only adjustment. Quite happy. You don't need much rear camber as the suspension properly gains negative camber to match the body roll. ( stock springs on Bilstein HD's)

Old 10-19-2010 | 08:35 AM
blitzed310
|
2nd Gear
I had it aligned to 0 total toe front/rear, -1 in the front for camber by only removing the pin at the strut hat, and -2 at the rear.

I would report on how it handles but I only got to put a few miles on the car before the cam gear broke off and grenaded my engine.