Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension TSW or H&R Springs for lowering and handling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:12 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TSW or H&R Springs for lowering and handling?

Hey guys, I browsed through a few old threads but I'd love some more input. Thinking about my future mods, and I know I'm going to need some springs.

I would really like to get rid of some of the wheel gap. I would also like to stiffen up the ride a little to reduce body roll. I get the impression that TSW from Way are the favorite for handling, but don't lower much. The H&R from Alta seem to offer a nice drop but I can't find a lot of feedback on handling.

Can anyone offer insight on this? Experience with either, both, or something else?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 PM
rohicks
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my experience in lowering vehicles (have not lowered a mini) you'll either want a full coilover set or get some solid struts (like adjustable KONIs - what I had on my last vehicle) to run aftermarket springs on. Either that or your stock struts will take a **** soon enough.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:05 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On my 03 MCS I had H&R springs for 45,000 miles with the stock shocks. But the shorter springs will wear out the shock shocks a little faster.

I found the H&R springs to be good for looks and performance. I used my car as a daily driver and tracked the car three times with the H&R springs. I like the lower drop of the H&R springs better than the TSW springs.

However, from what I have read the TSW springs are very good. I have not used the TSW springs but currently have JCW springs which I suspect are very close to the TSW springs. My JCW springs are great.

I would go with the H&R springs due to the little lower drop.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the input! I figure I will need to replace the shocks at some point anyway, so a little increased wear is no big deal. I don't put a lot of miles on the car anyway, my commute is short.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
IMO the more mild the drop, the better the handling and ride quality for the Mini. There just isn't any bump travel to work with so the less lowering the better. My roads are terrible but the bump travel is still good for handling on smooth roads.

I really like my Konis and Tein H-tech (not s-tech, those suck). The drop is really minor, maybe 10mm with IE Fixed camber plates. The TSW's are supposed to be very good too.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 AM
wrh3
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you looked at Apex springs? http://apexsuspension.com//gb/index.php

I think the only US distributor I have seen them at is Moss:
http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=94666

They are linear and work well with Bilstein Sports (although they worked OK with OE dampers the Bilstein allow for a bit more travel)

I don't hear a lot about these springs on the forum and was kind of skeptical when I bought them as a stop-gap while saving for coilovers. I was so pleased I decided not to do coilovers but upgrade the dampers. They handle great, look great, and are really a great value.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the H&R's along with ALTA's 19mm rear sway bar on my R56. I like that it's dropped lower than the TSW's and as a daily driver, I'm having no issues at all.

It's that rear sway bar that will take away some body roll - I really couldn't believe how tight the car was after it was installed. But you already know that!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 PM
nopistons
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to Apex, only the rear are linear. The front are progressive

Front: 25-20001/1VA = 28 N/mm -> Progressive spring type
Rear: 25-20002HA = 36 N/mm -> Linear spring type

Originally Posted by wrh3
Have you looked at Apex springs? http://apexsuspension.com//gb/index.php

I think the only US distributor I have seen them at is Moss:
http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=94666

They are linear and work well with Bilstein Sports (although they worked OK with OE dampers the Bilstein allow for a bit more travel)

I don't hear a lot about these springs on the forum and was kind of skeptical when I bought them as a stop-gap while saving for coilovers. I was so pleased I decided not to do coilovers but upgrade the dampers. They handle great, look great, and are really a great value.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:28 AM
Act_04
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Megan Racing coilovers, so no experience with the springs mentioned. That being said I do know that Swift is making, or has finished making lowering springs for the Mini. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Swift. They have a facebook page in addition to their website.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:42 AM
wrh3
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nopistons
According to Apex, only the rear are linear. The front are progressive

Front: 25-20001/1VA = 28 N/mm -> Progressive spring type
Rear: 25-20002HA = 36 N/mm -> Linear spring type
Maybe they are taking into account the progressive bumper? The front spring looks linear: