Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Roadster Suspension Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadster Suspension Plan

Our 'S' Roadster with the standard suspension is at the stateside port, and my original plan was to have our dealer immediately install the JCW suspension.

As of yet, the JCW suspension isn't available for that car, so I've been busily researching my options. At this point my head is swimming, so I thought I'd lay out the paths I've narrowed it down to and see what the forum's thoughts were.

This will be a daily driver, and to be honest is very unlikely to ever see a track day, sigh. Will also be driven by my wife who has shown no interest in learning about which rear sway bar setting is best and why.

Option #1:
Wait for the JCW suspension to become available. ETA unknown.

Option #2:
Stock Springs
Koni FSD Shocks
HSport 19mm Rear Swaybar
Eibach Adjustable Camber Plate or IE Fixed

Option #3:
TSW Springs
Koni Yellow Shocks
HSport 19mm Rear Swaybar
Eibach Adjustable Camber Plate

Notes: Really want to avoid too much lowering since this will be driven on all kinds of roads. Didn't want a metal-to-metal camber plate since comfort and noise still a factor.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Don

Old 02-21-2012, 06:11 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
TSW springs, Koni shocks/struts, H-sport bar, forget the camber plates as they aren't needed. Just remove the alignment pin from the strut mount, and push the mount as far as possible towards the center of the car. That will give you about another 1/2deg of camber.

You might need a pair of the rear camber arms. (you really only need 2, if you need them at all. I didn't)

Worlds better than stock or the sport suspension.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Island Don
3rd Gear
The camber plates were one of the items I was on the fence about, and was going to do since it seemed like a good time to add them while everything was apart. Maybe I'll hold off on those and see how things come out.

The rear camber arms are a big question mark as well. Half the posts I've read say they're essential with lowering springs, and the other half say they didn't need them.
Guess that's another item I can add later on an "if needed" basis.

I'm trying to balance the cost of buying parts I don't need against the cost of having to pay for labor to add them later...

Thanks for your thoughts!

Don

Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It will depend on how much you lower the car. With the TSW springs it shouldn't be an issue. (it wasn't for me)

The extra bit of negative camber from removing the pin is a nice free bonus. I'm not sure it would be enough for real autocross, but it's nice for a street car.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Richard's plan looks solid but I'd replace the TSW with Swift springs, but I must say I'm not sure if they apply to your car. They fit R53/56's.

Just a heads up to check out Swifts, that's what is going on my car.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may also consider driving the car for sometime and then decide what is best. I find as a daily driver the stock suspension is just perfect and give me the needed stiffness and lack of roll on almost every type of turn and high speed turn one would encounter on the typical road.

Why spend it if you do not have to?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
It will depend on how much you lower the car. With the TSW springs it shouldn't be an issue. (it wasn't for me)

The extra bit of negative camber from removing the pin is a nice free bonus. I'm not sure it would be enough for real autocross, but it's nice for a street car.
That's about the range I'm after - nice for street but doesn't need to be an autocross setup.

Don

Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eggburp
Richard's plan looks solid but I'd replace the TSW with Swift springs, but I must say I'm not sure if they apply to your car. They fit R53/56's.

Just a heads up to check out Swifts, that's what is going on my car.
Thanks - they look interesting!

Haven't heard much about Swifts. The pdf on their website doesn't seem to have any data filled in for MINIs, so that makes me cautious - I'm an "early adopter" with a lot of technology, but not here.

Would be a different story if this was a weekend car.

Don

Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by PatM
You may also consider driving the car for sometime and then decide what is best. I find as a daily driver the stock suspension is just perfect and give me the needed stiffness and lack of roll on almost every type of turn and high speed turn one would encounter on the typical road.

I was going to post the same thing. You've got 4 prior Mini's in your sig (one wife's). Did you do susp mods to any of those, and if you did some, do those prior mods lead to your list of susp mods here? Because you've searched and are asking opinions I'm guessing you didn't mod your other cars. If not then I'd go slow. The first thing most do is a rear swaybar (I've got a 19mm middle setting, about $300 installed). What that does is make the car understeer less in the corners, and it's noticeable. It won't change the ride, just the corners. I don't want my car lower (no springs). I don't track, just drive fast on twisty roads now and then (no dampers). Just my .02.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PatM

Very true. I'd love to be surprised, but I've driven a lot of MINIs with various suspensions, and found the JCW Suspension about perfect for my purposes. Great balance of handling and comfort, even with runflats IMHO.

Getting the JCW suspension installed was my "fire and forget" plan - might not be the best money can buy, but would have been good enough for sure, and zero "risk".

Since that's not an option right now, I will be driving it for at least a little while with the stock suspension, but unless they've made changes that I'm unaware of at the factory, some upgrades will be inevitable.

Don

Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I was going to post the same thing. You've got 4 prior Mini's in your sig (one wife's). Did you do susp mods to any of those, and if you did some, do those prior mods lead to your list of susp mods here? Because you've searched and are asking opinions I'm guessing you didn't mod your other cars. If not then I'd go slow. The first thing most do is a rear swaybar (I've got a 19mm middle setting, about $300 installed). What that does is make the car understeer less in the corners, and it's noticeable. It won't change the ride, just the corners. I don't want my car lower (no springs). I don't track, just drive fast on twisty roads now and then (no dampers). Just my .02.
Two of those had the Sport suspension, one had the base suspension, and I added the JCW Suspension to the JCW.

So my minimum level suspension is probably the Sport suspension. The JCW was great, and I was happy enough with it that I didn't feel the need to explore aftermarket upgrades - it was "good enough".

If I'd known when I ordered the Roadster that the JCW Suspension wouldn't be available (yet?), I'd probably have gotten the Sport suspension and called it a day. Since I didn't even get that upgrade I'm looking at aftermarket options.

You make a great point - the 19mm rear sway sounds like the absolute must-do upgrade.

I have a pretty low tolerance for body roll, and that's what's leading me down the spring/shock path.

Honestly, if someone sold a "Just like the JCW Suspension" package for this car, I'd have that installed and never look back.

(Well, ok, maybe I would - I do like to play with my toys, but it would probably be a year or two before I got bored and went down that path)

Don

Old 02-21-2012, 02:21 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Here's the difference between the factory sport suspension and an aftermarket rear bar: the factory SS gives you slightly thicker (17 or 18mm) rear AND front bars (and that's it). A thicker rear bar will decrease understeer in corners (the Mini understeers a lot). A thicker front bar will increase understeer. So the SS sort of balances the 2 out. I think that's why you cannot buy aftermarket thicher front bars, only rear. Just my .02.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:23 PM
PatM
6th Gear

Who's sway bar did you buy and did the dealer do the work or someone else? I might be interested in doing that on my car. Thought I probably really don't need it from my perspective but it's a might need some day. And if you can really feel the difference I would be liking something like that.

Does the JCW Coupe come with a larger sway bar standard than the MCS Coupe?

Pat

Last edited by PatM; 02-21-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add a question
Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Here's the difference between the factory sport suspension and an aftermarket rear bar: the factory SS gives you slightly thicker (17 or 18mm) rear AND front bars (and that's it). A thicker rear bar will decrease understeer in corners (the Mini understeers a lot). A thicker front bar will increase understeer. So the SS sort of balances the 2 out. I think that's why you cannot buy aftermarket thicher front bars, only rear. Just my .02.
MINI has always said the Sport Suspension has stiffer springs and different shocks as well.

It's hard to be sure just what changes exactly because they don't really spell it out with numbers, sigh.

Even the accepted numbers for sway bar thickness between the suspension packages have been questioned, with people reporting different sizes when they measure theirs. (could be measurement error of course, but the use of accurate calipers or mics was asserted)

At least with the JCW Suspension package you know that *someone* at least changed *something* since the springs are red!

Don

Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Keysersozeh
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my Coupe that should be here shortly. I'm keeping an eye on this thread because I'm torn. I had the SS in my 06 and later went with the HR springs which I loved the handling except the ride was a little too stiff. I'd love to go to a single turn-key solution 'JCW Package' but at the same time, would like a little flexibility in dialing in comfort.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:28 PM
etalj
6th Gear
TSW springs, Koni shocks/struts, H-sport bar, forget the camber plates as they aren't needed.
Highly disagree with this statement. Camber plates are more important than a rear swaybar.

Want to use stitches or a band-aid?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Keysersozeh
I'm in the same boat with my Coupe that should be here shortly. I'm keeping an eye on this thread because I'm torn. I had the SS in my 06 and later went with the HR springs which I loved the handling except the ride was a little too stiff. I'd love to go to a single turn-key solution 'JCW Package' but at the same time, would like a little flexibility in dialing in comfort.
Good luck - I know how the waiting is!

I thought the JCW suspension was comfortable enough, even when I had 18" runflats on it. You knew you were driving on a road, but you weren't ever really worried about chipping a tooth or damaging internal organs.

Don

Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for getting a thread like this started Don. I would highly recommend this, call Way at WayMotorWorks. He is a Mini expert, and makes himself available to talk. I've dealt with him many times in the past and his advice is always spot on...worth a try I test drove an "S" and a JCW coupe, both equipped with the sport suspension, and thought it felt great. I will be headed down this road soon, (JCW Roadster) in the near future. Keep us posted.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by etalj
Highly disagree with this statement. Camber plates are more important than a rear swaybar.

Want to use stitches or a band-aid?
Depends on just how serious the cut is!

I guess it depends on just how much camber I actually need? I've gathered that from -1.5 to -2 degrees in the front is about right. The normal camber is what, about -.5 degrees and if you remove the plastic "pin" you can get perhaps -.9 degrees?

How noticeable is the difference between -.9 and -1.5? And how far can you get with normal springs before there is interference?

I see you have the Vorshlag plates. Those sound bulletproof, but I am concerned about noise and vibration on a daily driver. Those are expensive items to buy, install, and then remove if that's a problem. (I've done a fair amount of serious wrenching on cars, but at this point my tendency is to pay for the labor)

Thanks,
Don

Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Thanks for getting a thread like this started Don. I would highly recommend this, call Way at WayMotorWorks. He is a Mini expert, and makes himself available to talk. I've dealt with him many times in the past and his advice is always spot on...worth a try I test drove an "S" and a JCW coupe, both equipped with the sport suspension, and thought it felt great. I will be headed down this road soon, (JCW Roadster) in the near future. Keep us posted.
Starting this thread is the easy part - it's finishing it that's hard!

My goal is to find concensus on a package that will be close to the JCW Suspension. (not too low, not too harsh, better handling than stock)

The camber plates seem to be the most controversial, followed by the replacement rear control arms (that darned camber again!). Although that seems to be more of a case where some cars can still get the desired camber without them and some can't.

That JCW Roadster will be sweet! It's what I'd have coming if a manual trans fit our needs.

Don

Old 02-21-2012, 06:50 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Regarding camber plates and lower control arms, I remember having that conversation with Way. His advice was they are not necessary unless you are lowering your Mini. Have you thought about NM springs? Their site shows a nice subtle lowering without going to far for your DD needs. I'm going to do some research on them. http://nm-eng.com/233/2/0/1474/nm558...pring-kit.html

Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Regarding camber plates and lower control arms, I remember having that conversation with Way. His advice was they are not necessary unless you are lowering your Mini. Have you thought about NM springs? Their site shows a nice subtle lowering without going to far for your DD needs. I'm going to do some research on them. http://nm-eng.com/233/2/0/1474/nm558...pring-kit.html
So that implies that using the TSW (or the NM) springs would require camber plates and replacement lower control arms.

The TSW springs seem to be the ones that give the least lowering (with the exception of the JCW springs). A bit less than the NM springs I believe.

Don

Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... Just remove the alignment pin from the strut mount, and push the mount as far as possible towards the center of the car. That will give you about another 1/2deg of camber.
Pin? What Pin? Got a pick?
I have some 16 x 8's wanna put on.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by Island Don
So that implies that using the TSW (or the NM) springs would require camber plates and replacement lower control arms.
Lowering does NOT require front camber plates. You only need the front camber plates if you are tracking or trying to get a specific camber setting on the front and want to maximize front camber. Remember you will gain neg camber when you lower the car so that is good.

Now for rear camber links. I recommend them anytime you lower the car no matter if it's just springs or complete coilovers. You have to have them to get the rear camber and toe correct, if you don't you will go through tires. Some will argue this with me but sorry your wrong, you will get more life out of your tires by having the camber links.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Lowering does NOT require front camber plates. You only need the front camber plates if you are tracking or trying to get a specific camber setting on the front and want to maximize front camber. Remember you will gain neg camber when you lower the car so that is good.

Now for rear camber links. I recommend them anytime you lower the car no matter if it's just springs or complete coilovers. You have to have them to get the rear camber and toe correct, if you don't you will go through tires. Some will argue this with me but sorry your wrong, you will get more life out of your tires by having the camber links.
I was hoping you would jump in here...thanks Way Would you care to make recommendations for a suspension upgrade for the Coupe/Roadster? I'm initially thinking NM springs/Koni Yellows, H-Sport Camber Links, H-Sport 19mm SB. Thanks.

-Steven

Last edited by BlueToy; 02-21-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension Roadster Suspension Plan