Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Add Swift to my KW V2 or go AST or Ohlins?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add Swift to my KW V2 or go AST or Ohlins?

So, I have the KW V2 with the TSW spec springs. I'm tracking the car more so I want to upgrade the suspension.

Would it be enough to simply swap out the KW springs for a set of Swift? That's definitely the most economical route, but if it's not going to net enough of an improvement over what I currently have as compared to moving to AST or Ohlins then I'll just wait to save a little (a lot) more money.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Bump. Anyone running KW with Swift springs?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
What kind of improvements are you looking for?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Watching this as to see / consult choice of springs rates and lengths you will choose.
Looking to add linear springs to my KW V2's this year.

- Erik

The following users liked this post:
Timbo14 (12-29-2019)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Seems that my KW springs are sagging, or at least they appear to be. I've had to raise it once and now about 10 months later I have to raise it again. I don't have much further up to go in the front so I'm thinking I'd like to move to Swift springs.

I'm looking for good track springs, light and responsive that would be a good fit with the KW V2 shocks. Swift has the reputation and hopefully it would net a gain in performance, the KW setup seems to be a little bouncy at times. The TSW spec KW springs are 6 kg/mm, or about 342 lb/in.

So...looking to get feedback from the track guys or anyone with experience running Swift. I'd really like to go AST but could't do it right away because of money.

I'm thinking 350-400 lb/in, but not sure if I should just swap springs or wait until I can upgrade the whole thing to AST or possibly Ohlins.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You would definitely feel an improvement with the springs, but in my opinion, I would just swap out the shocks. Im not a big fan of KW. And if your going looking at shocks like Ohlin or AST then dont even bother wasting your money on improving the KW's. Just save up and get the good stuff.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Dex05S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ninjlao
You would definitely feel an improvement with the springs, but in my opinion, I would just swap out the shocks. Im not a big fan of KW. And if your going looking at shocks like Ohlin or AST then dont even bother wasting your money on improving the KW's. Just save up and get the good stuff.

Ninjlao, based on your experience, do you have a preference for AST or Ohlins?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you racing, or are you trying to win the mythical HPDE championship?

For the most part, springs are springs. Unless you measure the length and rate, you have no idea what is going on, and you are just tossing money at some perceived problem.

You probably won't be able to feel any difference between your springs, and a new 250# spring.

Just saying, without doing skidpad testing, segment timing, taking tire temps, and lots of notes and testing, you are probably pissing in the wind.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Not racing, just HPDE track days. I was thinking the same thing myself, but people swear by the Swift springs and AST coils so thought I'd get some feedback. Honestly I don't mind saving the money, especially if the difference to non-professionals wouldn't be perceivable enough to justify the cost.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Are you racing, or are you trying to win the mythical HPDE championship?

For the most part, springs are springs. Unless you measure the length and rate, you have no idea what is going on, and you are just tossing money at some perceived problem.

You probably won't be able to feel any difference between your springs, and a new 250# spring.

Just saying, without doing skidpad testing, segment timing, taking tire temps, and lots of notes and testing, you are probably pissing in the wind.

There is a lot more to a spring than people think. Anyone can easily assume that a spring is just a spring, but there is much more to it. From spring rate consistency, the size of the actual sweet spot on the spring, the amount of stroke, the weight, the reaction speed, the different frequencies they work at. And it is a feelable difference. Even the revs of an engine can change the spring rate on on any given car. It's all been tested before, and I have done simple tests to demonstrate it. In our dirt late model we have always run swift springs all the way around, but on track surfaces where the dirt is really tacky I will run the exact same rate but a hyperco spring only on the right rear to have the rear end rotate more, the swift would give it too much traction, but as soon as the dirt smooths out we put the swift back on. We have gone to the point in which we not only tune the suspension by spring rates but the harmonics of the springs as well. I am bringing as much of my information from the track testing I have done to the road cars I own. And I post up info because its simply fun for me to do when I have time. In the same given rate comparing a swift to other spring manufacturer we have consistently recorded more shock movement with a shock potentiometer.

I understand that most of this is much more than needed for a street car, but I am just throwing out information that I have found and theorized. And there are a quite of few people on NAM that can agree with me that have swapped their coilover springs that have gone even stiffer in rate Swift spring than their previous setup and felt that their cars feel softer. This is not because of a rate hike in the original spring but the decrease in lag from the shock to the spring. There are springs that are more expensive, some that are better and some are clearly worse, but for the money Swift is the most well rounded spring manufacturer that I have found. If Swift is too expensive there is another company from Germany called Vogtland that is fairly inexpensive, they are accurate and do a pretty good job with with the reaction as well, they do sag out over time but better than some of the other springs out on the market.

As for the shock, both shocks you mentioned are awesome shocks, I wouldnt be able to say one is better than the other. I like the build quality of the Ohlins a lot. But you cant go wrong with either. If you have a shock guy you can take it to, they can both be valved to whatever specs you'd like.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Great info, thanks for the feedback. I think I may pull the trigger on a set of Swift springs. I can add them to the KW shocks and save for a set of AST or Ohlins shocks later on.

Does anyone know the right length I'd need?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sooper_cooper
Seems that my KW springs are sagging, or at least they appear to be. I've had to raise it once and now about 10 months later I have to raise it again. I don't have much further up to go in the front so I'm thinking I'd like to move to Swift springs.

I'm looking for good track springs, light and responsive that would be a good fit with the KW V2 shocks. Swift has the reputation and hopefully it would net a gain in performance, the KW setup seems to be a little bouncy at times. The TSW spec KW springs are 6 kg/mm, or about 342 lb/in.

So...looking to get feedback from the track guys or anyone with experience running Swift. I'd really like to go AST but could't do it right away because of money.

I'm thinking 350-400 lb/in, but not sure if I should just swap springs or wait until I can upgrade the whole thing to AST or possibly Ohlins.

Why not call KW for warranty on the springs? Limited Lifetime Warranty. Makes sense before spending more money. If you wanted a different spring rate I don't see it being a problem

Old 03-21-2012, 10:17 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
It's an option but if KW wants to examine the springs before determining warranty replacement then I'd be left without a car. Also, it the springs really are sagging and not just settling, then would it happen again eventually with a new set of KW springs?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 AM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by sooper_cooper
It's an option but if KW wants to examine the springs before determining warranty replacement then I'd be left without a car. Also, it the springs really are sagging and not just settling, then would it happen again eventually with a new set of KW springs?
It is actually a fairly easy process. Call over to KW speak with Jorge. I spoke with him about the spring warranty process. You would need to fill out a tech sheet.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 AM
brightside
2nd Gear
Can someone here confirm to me the length of a replacement spring for a set of KW v3s?

I too believe my springs have sagged. i'm the second owner of the coilovers so i don't know if KW will warranty them. Plus I've powder coated them red.