Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension AutoX Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM
JD Wagner
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AutoX Suspension

I have a 2011 Mini Cooper (Non S) R56 with the JCW Aero Kit and wheels. I am looking to turn it into an AutoXing car and wanted to get some ideas from the more experienced people on here about suspension. I am looking at either the KW Variant 2 or 3 with the TSW springs from WayMotorWorks withe the Vorshlag Camber Plates. I was also looking at the H-Sport Competition Rear Sway bar from WayMotorWorks.

Does anyone have experience with these items and AutoXing with them?

Also, what else would you replace and with what? Thinking this thread could be a a guide for people if they want a suspension setup for AutoXing

Old 07-23-2012, 01:56 PM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed. I'm thinking of a similar setup for my JCW Coupe.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:40 PM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am autoXing in the new SCCA RTF class this year. RTF is for otherwise "Stock" Class cars that are on street tires with 140 or greater treadwear rating.

To start, with an otherwise factory stock car, I would get a big rear bar. Any rear sway bar is legal in "Stock" classes starting this season, as long as the front bar is stock.

I have a 2007 MCS. I did the JCW suspension conversion on mine, which is "Stock" class legal. Plus I have the 23.8mm Tarrett Engineering rear bar. So I have JCW springs over Truechoice DA Konis. And I have the JCW front sway bar and bushings. You have to use the JCW front bump stops and the JCW specific rubber spring pads to be 100% "Stock" legal. I use 215 width Hankook RS-3s. This suspension is all legal for an HS or DS or RTF prepped MINI

Camber plates are not allowed in "Stock" preparation. They will put the MINI into classes where it will not be competitive IMO.

The car is very fast and very easy to drive. I would go so far to say that it's more fun to autoX than my S2000 was.

Last edited by aklucsarits; 07-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
JD Wagner
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aklucsarits
I am autoXing in the new SCCA RTF class this year. RTF is for otherwise "Stock" Class cars that are on street tires with 140 or greater treadwear rating.

To start, with an otherwise factory stock car, I would get a big rear bar. Any rear sway bar is legal in "Stock" classes starting this season, as long as the front bar is stock.

I have a 2007 MCS. I did the JCW suspension conversion on mine, which is "Stock" class legal. Plus I have the 23.8mm Tarrett Engineering rear bar. So I have JCW springs over Truechoice DA Konis. And I have the JCW front sway bar and bushings. You have to use the JCW front bump stops and the JCW specific rubber spring pads to be 100% "Stock" legal. I use 215 width Hankook RS-3s. This suspension is all legal for an HS or DS or RTF prepped MINI

Camber plates are not allowed in "Stock" preparation. They will put the MINI into classes where it will not be competitive IMO.

The car is very fast and very easy to drive. I would go so far to say that it's more fun to autoX than my S2000 was.
That's cool man. I am looking to completely redo my suspension. Anyone done this and have advice or like certain products?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM
JD Wagner
2nd Gear
One thing I'm not sure about is what bushings should be beefed up and replaced? Anyone?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM
mastertrixter
2nd Gear
where did you get your jcw suspension parts. i've been trolling forums and classifieds forever looking for some used jcw springs, front sway and brakes but can't find a dang thing. bout to just order some replacement r56 parts for the brake side of things but still can't find a decent deal on the suspension.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:44 PM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at what Craig Wilcox (several time over National Champ) is running on his DS MCS:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-...80628561980375

Good starting point.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JD Wagner
Also, what else would you replace and with what? Thinking this thread could be a a guide for people if they want a suspension setup for AutoXing
Originally Posted by aklucsarits

Originally Posted by JD Wagner
That's cool man. I am looking to completely redo my suspension. Anyone done this and have advice or like certain products?
Well like aklucsarits to be completive at autox especially in a MC you aren't going to wan't to go too crazy with mods.

This might be of interest to you however:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/11/...spec-race-car/

Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mastertrixter
where did you get your jcw suspension parts. i've been trolling forums and classifieds forever looking for some used jcw springs, front sway and brakes but can't find a dang thing. bout to just order some replacement r56 parts for the brake side of things but still can't find a decent deal on the suspension.
Factory JCWs do NOT come with the "JCW suspension." The JCW suspension kit option has an MSRP of something like $1800 + install costs and is only port-installed or dealer-installed on a new ordered car.

If you want to autoX and be 100% stock legal, the JCW springs must be special ordered from your mini dealer because they are matched to your VIN and the options your car came with.

The JCW suspension springs are red. If someone tries to sell you "JCW springs" of any other color, then they may be springs taken off a JCW, but they are not the lower, stiffer springs from the "JCW suspension kit."