Suspension It was only a matter of time...Blown shock!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It was only a matter of time...Blown shock!

Some of you may remember constantly complaining about how the damping in the rear of the Mini with lowering springs doesn't work well, and that the roads here really really suck. Anyway, I got home last week, as I get out of my car, hear my rear suspension squeaking as the weight comes off the car. I didn't drive the car that weekend, and went to work on Monday, being reminded that something's wrong. Pulled into my shop, put the car up on the lift, and saw the left shock sweating/wet. Look to the ground, and there's a small puddle. Looks like I'll be needing some new dampers! I don't want to take it in to service, because they will most likely blame the springs. I wanted to get the Koni's when they came out, but they never happened, so I'll be going with the Bilstein HD shocks. I should have them this week sometime, and while I'm at it, plan to install the NM RSB I got a few months ago but never got around to installing it.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 PM
cm.d
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles did you have with the lowering springs? Are these NM springs?

Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a little over 8,000 miles on my car now, and most of that was with the car having been lowered almost immediately after I got the car. The springs are NM. I didn't have the chance to install the front shocks yet, but I did get the back in, as well as install my NM rear sway bar at the same time. I didn't drive her really, but will see how much of a difference it feels on the ride home from work in a bit. I drove it around the block and it definitely felt more damped in back, I can say that much!

I can't really blame the springs. The roads here suck *****, and the fact that I have 100lbs of bowling ***** in my trunk all the time certainly didn't help the situation!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:45 PM
cm.d
2nd Gear
That's good some good information. I am looking to get lowered soon. I wasn't aware that there was non-oem shocks that fit. I would hate to deal with the dealer for shocks. I don't want to know how much they are asking!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Shoof
I have a little over 8,000 miles on my car now, and most of that was with the car having been lowered almost immediately after I got the car. The springs are NM. I didn't have the chance to install the front shocks yet, but I did get the back in, as well as install my NM rear sway bar at the same time. I didn't drive her really, but will see how much of a difference it feels on the ride home from work in a bit. I drove it around the block and it definitely felt more damped in back, I can say that much!

I can't really blame the springs. The roads here suck *****, and the fact that I have 100lbs of bowling ***** in my trunk all the time certainly didn't help the situation!

you can blame the springs. the NM springs are crap. Even on rough roads this shouldnt happen.

They should have designed the springs better.