Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Suspension upgrades help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension upgrades help

Ok guys,

I have the stock MINI Cooper S suspension. I'm looking to make my car as track-ready as possible. I don't care much about comfort. Im looking for the best coilover kit that's all around best for track-use. I've heard about Ohlins and KW but are they really good for the track or are they really for maximum comfort? I know that I'm going with the Hotchkis RSB but is the competition 25.5 hollow better or worse than the race 22.5 in terms or stiffness? Also I hear that polyurethane bushings are useful, what exactly are they for? Im getting the Hotchkis rear control arms, is it worth it to get front control arms? What does the MINI community recommend?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I will say I like my Ohlins a lot, but you really need to search around. I can give you my opinion and someone else will give their opinion, but your subject to your own findings and what others have to say about what they have installed. The search button is your friend and google searches aren't that hard to help you find what you want.

If you say you don't care about comfort, you might as well go with KW Challenge coilovers. That's as hardcore track as you can probably get. Another option is JRZ's or AST 5200. At some point your quest for track coilovers is going to end with the ultimate decision...money. If money weren't an option you could choose any of those and be happy, but unless you're MINI is going to see nothing but track, it's pointless going that highend. Get some V1's or V2's and call it a day...

Old 07-07-2013, 10:02 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks, I agree with most of your post... I see what you're saying. I'm planning on taking the MINI to the track about once a month. And otherwise I'm keeping it as a DD. maybe I'll just go with some KW made ST coilovers. From what I've read, they're basically the same as KW V1s. But I honestly really want the KW clubsports. 3k is a little over budget right now and I think the STs will serve their purpose.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If at all possible, you should ride in a car with coilovers that are set up for the track. KWV1 coilovers have a very tolerable ride quality thanks to their damping characteristics and forgiving springs. I wouldn't exactly say it's the top choice for a dedicated track coilover. The KWV2 is a good middle ground between street/track that also has the added benefit of being able to adjust rebound. A coilover with a very high stiffness spring rate, regardless of compression/rebound settings can be quite jarring to most people who want it to be a DD. I think at least having adjustable rebound is essential for tuning at the track. After that point, the sky is the limit with Ohlins or AST. Both are fantastic quality but sounds like they're making you squeemish from the price standpoint.

Do yourself a major favor and buy some Vorshlag camber plates when you're ready to purchase coilovers. The lack of front camber on the MINI is a major weakness on the track. They're as important as the coilovers in my opinion as the big front camber tweak really wakes up the car and makes it as neutral as a FWD car can get.

You also need rear lower adjustable control arms and front swaybar end-links. You need the rear swaybar endlinks only if you're ready to corner balance the car. It's not a cheap job to upgrade the MINI suspension properly!

Yes, corner balancing is the right way to set up a car with coilovers, but I am going to go against the grain here and say that if you're not experienced enough at the track the difference between a car with a perfect 50% cross-weight and one that is set up by just looking at corner heights is not going to be a deal breaker. Once you start getting real consistent with your lap times and have excellent track composure, it's time to invest in the proper corner balance.